Marc

Foxtel to launch first 4K channel

Posted (edited)

Yes, the colours and vibrancy of the images are excellent. Can clearly see a difference when they switch from a HD to UHD camera shot.

I can see judder on the super slo-mo shots however. (May be my TV.)

I still believe the regular HD channels don't look as good as they did though!!

Edited by Wags69

7 hours ago, IMDave said:

Anybody got any more technical info on Foxtel's 4k channel?

It’s definitely 2160p50 4:2:0 12 bit in a BT2020 container for Rolling Stones now, I didn’t check earlier. Screenshot from my HD Fury attached. So that’s a huge improvement on what the first firmware spat out. 

48C719C8-4C69-4191-8BA9-64B65DA4783F.jpeg

Rolling stones show looks VERY good!

52 minutes ago, kitschcamp said:

It’s definitely 2160p50 4:2:0 12 bit in a BT2020 container for Rolling Stones now, I didn’t check earlier. Screenshot from my HD Fury attached. So that’s a huge improvement on what the first firmware spat out. 

Brilliant. Thanks for that. I'd contemplated pulling my Vertex out of the HT projector system, but now I don't have to.

Yes, The Rolling Stones concert looking pretty damn good as well.

So far, pretty happy with Foxtel 4k.

Hopefully, the channel starts to fill up with quality content.

I programmed the big wave surfing to record, so it will be interesting to see what "recorded" 4k looks like.

Yeah, I’m keeping my Linker with the Foxtel box at the moment. It’s HDCP 2.2 negotiation through my Yamaha 2050 is woeful. Reducing it to 1.4, and 10 bit whilst I’m at it, makes it far less painful changing inputs. It also reduces the audio drop out on recordings to barely noticeable - I was running an optical cable for the first week or so to get rid of it, so that one is definitely on the HDMI side. 

The surfing show is both awesome and unreal, some people will do anything for kicks, but the 4K images and 7:1 sound comes over great.

I think I shall wait a bit before jumping on the bandwagon, I watched the motoGP racing yesterday it was HD and very impressive, do not have any idea when the bikes will be in 4k, that is all I use Foxtel for.

Posted (edited)

Come on Foxtel, stuff the nbn, give us this on cable connections.

@agelessgoodguy I had endure the top 10 shoot out in sd at my inlaws place. My mother in law is not one tell she's wrong, even my wife can't advice on the dog! Trying to tell them they are missing out on sharper images is not worth the hassle.

Watched bits on my humble 55" LCD yesterday in HD whilst doing other things. When Renyolds got the penalty I took the kids out bike riding. 

Edited by blybo

15 minutes ago, blybo said:

give us this on cable connections

'cos there's only few years until cable will be completely gone .... I wouldn't be surprised if it's never offered via cable.

22 hours ago, kitschcamp said:

Have read that some people thought the Bathurst coverage was 25fps, no confirmation though.

According to my friend in the UK, it’s not uncommon to film at 25FPS and broadcast at 50FPS to give it a more “filmy” look. It requires no special effort, just simple frame doubling. 

I watch big wave project last night.   The detail was amazing. Certainly a lot better than HD.   Can’t wait to see other programs and Channels spring up also 

2 hours ago, SLE355 said:

I wasn't aware of this site, thanks.

I see, they have it in it's own multiplex.    I wonder what the eventual bitrates on it will be once more channel get the treatment ?!

Setting an encoder up so it just targets a ~24mbps sized output all the time, like it looks like they've done.... results in pretty superb quality .... but they're surely going to have to economise later.