Foxtel to launch first 4K channel

2 hours ago, kitschcamp said:

2160P50 12 bit 4:2:2 Rec2020, which is a properly supported HDMI mode

Gee, that's still super-brave of them though....  Anyone with a cable that can't do the full 18gbps is in trouble.     Stuff like this is going to (hopefully for consumers) flush out all the non-certified (or non-compliant) cable out there.

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I think there will be a lot, and a lot of hardware that is very very marginal with the original HDMI 2 chipsets that were only able to be tested in perfect lab conditions and not with real hardware and environments. My setup, which is hardly el cheapo, doesn't like the 4:2:2, and I'm still having to drop it to 4:2:0 to make it reliable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Gee, that's still super-brave of them though....  Anyone with a cable that can't do the full 18gbps is in trouble.     Stuff like this is going to (hopefully for consumers) flush out all the non-certified (or non-compliant) cable out there.

Put probably only with projectors where it is a longish run. Any half decent 1-2m HDMI cable should be fine. I'm using an el cheapo 1m Selby HDMI cable from my UHD player to processor then a $$$ 7.5m Kordz HDMI to my projector. Works fine playing UHD discs, but only after upgrading the long run. Pretty sure my player is outputting 4:2:2 but will check next time I watch a disc.

Edited by blybo

52 minutes ago, blybo said:

Put probably only with projectors where it is a longish run. Any half decent 1-2m HDMI cable should be fine. I'm using an el cheapo 1m Selby HDMI cable from my UHD player to processor then a $$$ 7.5m Kordz HDMI to my projector. Works fine playing UHD discs, but only after upgrading the long run. Pretty sure my player is outputting 4:2:2 but will check next time I watch a disc.

Yep... off the top of my head (can't look it up right now) ... that would need less than 10.2gbps ... so any cable which passes the lower spec HDMI standard would work.

Any half decent 1-2m HDMI cable should be fine

Agreed.... but there is a lot out there that doesn't qualify  ;) 

18gbps is a pretty challenging ask for a cable like a HDMI cable.

image.png.59e7c72fb59a7fdbc5792cbcb256df0f.png

Edited by davewantsmoore

On 22/08/2018 at 8:59 AM, kitschcamp said:

Ok, a bit of good news on the 2160P50 front. It looks like the initial upgrade of software when you power up the IQ4 box leaves the HDMI chipset in a strange state. Last night I powered off the box for ten minutes to make sure everything was fully powered down, then repowered up the box. It's now outputting 2160P50 12 bit 4:2:2 Rec2020, which is a properly supported HDMI mode. 

this is rather weird. as HDR10 is 10 bit for instance :) uhd blu-ray is 4:2:0 natively. 

so goodness knows why the 12 bit ? are they just upsampling for heck of it ? 

as the link below says,

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

"There is no intrinsic benefit to the source upsampling to 4:4:4 or converting to RGB. With respect to UHD and HDMI it is actually beneficial if the conversion to 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB is, as much as possible, left to the display, as this reduces the HDMI bandwidth requirements."

The box itself has been very stable for me, far less troublesome than the IQ3 I had and ended up sending back to return to the IQ2. Activation issues seem to be the most reported problems where it's slow to made live in the Foxtel system. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kitschcamp said:

The box itself has been very stable for me, far less troublesome than the IQ3 I had and ended up sending back to return to the IQ2. Activation issues seem to be the most reported problems where it's slow to made live in the Foxtel system. 

Thanks, hopefully they get it sorted before I get mine

27 minutes ago, Clint77 said:

I bet all those ads will look brilliant in 4K :)

Doesn’t worry me, so long as the Rugby World Cup is in 4K ?

Well that was easy...changed the box over, called the number on the screen to activate the sim, it did a firmware update and working a treat so far. I used the existing cables from the iQ2 to save pulling the rack out to get access to the back of the AVR. Now to wait for some 4K content. ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I got round to calling. My Foxtel is thru Telstra as I’ve bundled home internet and phones etc so when I call Foxtel they flick me over to Telstra to chat about billing, technical issues etc etc

....anyway, my current IQ3 box is via cable, there are no 4K IQ4 box connections via cable and where I live they cannot install satellite!!

soooo, I’m ineligible for IQ4 until it’s cable connection compatible.  I actually wasn’t aware of the satellite requirements at all. 

Till then, I’ll enjoy Netflix in 4K and Foxtel in HD 

• Like 1

Like some others on here I ordered the IQ4 upgrade and its installed today, My Foxtel is via Satellite and down load speeds according to the rep are over 28MPS which he said was good for streaming if needed. Cost was just $75 and an extra $3 /month on a Platinium deal. The tech was given for free due to long relationship they said and he did replace the HDMI cable from the IQ4 to the Marantz 8802A amp, saying my old cable wasn't up for the job, but as he took it away with him I didn't get the chance to check what I'd used before. Anyway Looking good for 4K Bathurst now, wanna take a drive down to Seaford Blybo or anyone else to watch on a 75" Sony?

Oh I discovered that early models of the IQ 3 cannot be upgraded via software and thus changed out as was my case, but no troubles.

• Like 1

Panasonic EX780 75" plugged in and ready for Bathurst in 4K!

One thing though, does anyone else think the 1080 HD channels don't look as good now??

Have they sacrificed these channels to free space for the 4K broadcast??

Wags69

I don't know whether they freed space or not, but the video processing of 1080i HD programs was better on the IQ2 than it is on the IQ4.  I don't know why that is.  It is a common view amongst those ho have put an IQ4 in place.  Note that the IQ4 still does an admirable job, better in many things than the IQ2 plus 4K but the 1080i picture isn't quite as good as it was.

Benje

The "grand unveiling" of their 4k channel was a bit of a schmozzle, but the super-slow-mo of the yesterday's qualifying  from 10:00-10:05 before the official start of transmission was probably the best quality TV I've ever seen.

The detail of the cars was amazing. Maybe it was my imagination because the only thing Foxtel has promoted was the fact that it was 4k, but the colours seemed more vibrant (WCG ??) and the glare from the reflections on the pristine paintwork of the vehicles looked like it had a bit of HDR to it as well.

Anybody got any more technical info on Foxtel's 4k channel?

What did everyone else think?

The definition of anything in focus with 4K is excellent.

The camera work of interview sets is terrific - the shades of light on the driver suits is VG.

On a wider panorama shot where there are a lot of things out of focus - little difference to HD.

But the car that is in focus - the gleam of the paint job is VG.

Benje