HT, PJ & Audio Upgrade

It's time to put the finishing touches to my HT, PJ & Audio upgrade.

Looking for immediate recommendations for 4 x in-ceiling speakers from those available at Selby as they have 15% off tomorrow 15th Aug only :)Budget is flexible so go hard! 

https://www.selby.com.au/electronics/speakers/in-ceiling-speakers.html

I am ultimately looking at doing the following:

1)     Ceiling mount JVC x7900 projector and install ceiling powerpoint

2)     Install 4 in-ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos

3)     Wall mount 2-4 bookshelf speakers at rear of viewing area (have 4 x Krix Equinox bookshelf speakers)

4)     Install new 150” + Majestic fixed projector screen (16:9 or 2:37:1 cinemascope)

5)     Change existing down lighting (if appropriate) currently downlights have reflective white plastic outer rims

6)     Install curtains on right side of viewing area to cover slat blinds

7)     Paint upstairs open plan area where home theatre area is located in a grey / dark shade (currently area is white)

Receiver is 11.1 Pioneer LX-901. Sub is SVS PB 13 Ultra. Considering a second sub but no real need in the area, or is there !!?? :)

Thanks in advance.

Pictures of open plan viewing area to follow shortly.

Edited by agrif78

Thanks, do you have flat or angled ?

I was think even maybe a pair of each ?? A pair angled in front towards the listening position (currently single row seating) and the other pair flat installed directly overhead listening position.

Does that sound logical or would two angled be best ?

50 minutes ago, agrif78 said:

Thanks, do you have flat or angled ?

I was think even maybe a pair of each ?? A pair angled in front towards the listening position (currently single row seating) and the other pair flat installed directly overhead listening position.

Does that sound logical or would two angled be best ?

Click here for a guide to Atmos speaker placement (opens PDF file).

I'm running 4 Krix Atmospherix and happy with them (didn't go for the angled tweeter).

Thanks heaps ! I will pick up 4 flats today.

Now just need to make a decision about how and where to wall mount 2 -4 rear Equinox bookshelf speakers.

Will upload photos / dimensions of my room in the next few hours. Any guidance regarding placement and possible wall bracket solutions would be awesome.

Thanks again

when you say 2-4 "rear" speakers are you actually trying to place 4 rear surrounds? dont get mixed up with side surrounds that are placed slightly behind your listening position.. they are not rears

this explains it clearly

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup/index.html

1 hour ago, agrif78 said:

Thanks heaps ! I will pick up 4 flats today.

Now just need to make a decision about how and where to wall mount 2 -4 rear Equinox bookshelf speakers.

Will upload photos / dimensions of my room in the next few hours. Any guidance regarding placement and possible wall bracket solutions would be awesome.

Thanks again

You might also consider in-wall speakers for the surrounds, but would recommend you check with a stud detector whether you have any issues before committing to this path.

I couldn't go in-wall as the cavity for a sliding door got in the way. I went with a set of Dynamix that have a single mounting point at the rear.

Thanks for the advices.  Once I install the 4 x Atmospherix in-ceiling speakers, I will an extra pair of Equinox (currently positioned as front firing Atmos speakers sitting on top of my fronts) that I could re-position to have a total of 4 x Equinox as rears. I will check that Dolby link as 4 x rear speakers may be undesirable. 

In-wall speakers for the surrounds could be the way to go but yes, best to check the studs first so ... may not be able to acquire those today  from Selby unless I head to Bunnings and buy a stud locator (or whatever correct term is :) !

See here for some pictures of my viewing area and what I am dealing with. Cheers 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QmWVGyRrSo8V6L2g8

5 minutes ago, HDobsession said:

Just bout 4 more atmospherix AS and a Yamaha 685 amp from Selby! Good sale!

Did you buy these for more Atmos speakers or in-ceilings fronts, and centers instead of normal on ground speakers ?

If I chose to power the Atmos speakers not from the Pioneer  11.1 receiver but from an external amplifier, what sort of options from the current Selby sale should I be considering ? I'm a bit clueless about this so a link would be great. Thanks 

18 minutes ago, agrif78 said:

If I chose to power the Atmos speakers not from the Pioneer  11.1 receiver but from an external amplifier, what sort of options from the current Selby sale should I be considering ? I'm a bit clueless about this so a link would be great. Thanks 

To be honest, none of the power amps Selby sell offer a whole lot of bang for buck IMO.

A used Elektra would be the best bang for buck - older models prior to the HD/HD2 go for ~$1400 for a 7 channel, lower for the 6 channel versions.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

To be honest, none of the power amps Selby sell offer a whole lot of bang for buck IMO.

A used Elektra would be the best bang for buck - older models prior to the HD/HD2 go for ~$1400 for a 7 channel, lower for the 6 channel versions.

Thanks mate, I'll be on the hunt for when a used one comes up in the forums.

I don't know where the studs in my rear walls are so will probably have to leave the rear speaker brackets until I find that out.

Am I likely to need more than 4 Atmospherix speakers for my Atmos purposes ?? Want to buy as much as possible whilst the prices are gooood !

My current speakers are Krix Harmonix bi-amped (L+R) , Vertex (C), 2 x Equinox (Atmos front upward firing) and 2 x Equinox (SR). 

It is my intention that the current 2 x Equinox (Atmos front upward firing) will be replaced in the setup by the 4 Atmospherix speakers for Atmos.

Great - will be placing my order today. 

In relation to screen options - looking at roughly 150"+. Need a new lowline cabinet to place my center speaker on. 

I'm trying to decide between Oztheatre Majestic 16:9 vs 2:37:1 cinemascope screen upgrade. My main uses are PS4, PC (Media & Gaming), Foxtel (16:9) but I watch a whole bunch of 4K UHDs which variously range in aspect ratio from 16:9 to 2:37:1 and also other aspect ratios.

Any advice about this decision? I was think 16:9 and just deal with the black bars but I've been watching 2:37:1 cinemascope projecting onto the wall recently with no screen and it has been sooo nice not having black bars top & bottom !

No matter which way you go you'll end up with black bars on some material - 16:9 stuff on a scope screen has them on both sides.

If you go with a scope screen projector placement becomes critical, as you'll zoom between two image sizes (unless using an A-lens).

Not sure how far you're sitting from the screen, but 150" is very large. To get enough brightness for HDR on UHD you'll probably be replacing lamps before their nominal end of life (lamps dim as they age).

Depending on how far back you sit and personal preferences, I'd be wary of going over 140", regardless of aspect ratio.

I'm running a 130" scope majestic screen (with an A-lens) and sitting ~3.7m from the screen. Projector is an older X500, so no HDR.

Thanks for that awesome feedback. I might have to limit the size to 140". Have a 105" now so will be a big leap.

My total room depth from screen is 5.43M. Seats can be as far back as required but probably in the range of 4 - 5M.

I assume the A-Lens enables manipulation of the video to fill the screen regardless of AR format ? Is that correct? How much is a decent one worth ?

Edited by agrif78

TBH I wouldn't recommend going down the path of an A-lens nowadays, not since lens memory and higher lumens have become readily available.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, there's a good used one here for $2.2K (sold for $5K on a group buy). Best matched up with a motorised slide, but not essential.

An A-lens stretches the image horizontally and your projector then chops off the black bars and stretches it vertically to fill a scope screen.