Region free options for Oppo BDP-203

Hi,

For DVD and Blu-Ray, what are the options for being region free? And what have people here done?

I’ve seen hardware solutions e.g. from Gatti

IMG_0062.jpg

Discs to insert

http:// https://www.oppodigital.com.au/pages/superdisc-unlock-your-oppo-bluray-player-for-all-dvd-regions

But I think the above doesn’t do Blu-ray only DVD region.

Any other options?

• Like 1

the disc will only do dvd. not blu-ray. 

I just got the mod from gatti web, done thats it not worried about it

you can also get the external one that plugs the back via jvb digital from overseas. just google

Yes i've bought hundreds of Blu's from overseas that I watch on an Oppo with region mod. I guess it depends on how particular your viewing habits are however if you're after the very best presentation there are often significant differences between various Blu-Rays of any given film from differing regions. Some good starting sites for reference would be bluray.com & dvdbeaver.com ?

2 hours ago, Black Label said:

Yes i've bought hundreds of Blu's from overseas that I watch on an Oppo with region mod. I guess it depends on how particular your viewing habits are however if you're after the very best presentation there are often significant differences between various Blu-Rays of any given film from differing regions. Some good starting sites for reference would be bluray.com & dvdbeaver.com ?

Thanks will check it out. I always wondered why people would region mod the player....

• Like 1

Good to know. What enhancements are you referring to on the oppo93?

i purchased the Oppo 93 off a forum member here waiting to receive it :)

looking forward to compare it to my entry level Sony s350!

not sure I will be able to tell the difference in picture quality ???

i'll be keen to see your results @Raffinator'

i've got the 203 and the 205 and have been afraid to do this mod as i have no idea what im doing. 

If its pretty simple please post back and i might pull the trigger.

i went to watch some dvd's the other day from the USA i have and couldn't due to region code error popping up.  Would love to have the option on DVD and Blu Rays

cheers.

47 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

i've got the 203 and the 205 and have been afraid to do this mod as i have no idea what im doing. 

If its pretty simple please post back and i might pull the trigger.

the mod itself for either is the same and quite simple itself as just plugs in. its just opening top the 203 and for many this will be pretty simple and i didnt have a bother doing ...

with whats needed with the 205 that I wouldnt recommend for most people. I did do it but it was literally taking the player apart all bar the last board down below ! 

but you are in melbourne and you could literally drop your player into david at gatti who could mod it while you grab a coffee across at the glen :)

2 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

Thanks @:) al!

I’ll look further into this now.

The mod will give me region free for DVD but not bluray as I understand it. For bluray there is a code I need to enter for each region as I need it?

You will get Bluray region free with the mod  - you just need to enter the region code  via the remote as per instructions.    Fitting  the mod is pretty easy if you are confident in following  the instructions, otherwise tale it in - only takes a few minutes.   4K UHD discs are all region free BTW

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but while I'm looking to book this in should I be looking at also adding in the stereo capacitor clarity upgrade on my 205? 

Has as anyone got experience with this mod also?

I''d be looking at the unbalanced output option of the Clarity Mod...

I had the 203 for about 18months and was very happy but wanted a decent CD player to add into my set up so grabbed the 205 to replace the 203 for that purpose - saved me adding another component in

They’re identical for their video purpose it’s just the dedicated audio output of the 205 that is different 

one ended up in the “family room” and the 205 into “my room”

is there none around now at all?

6 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

Slightly off topic but while I'm looking to book this in should I be looking at also adding in the stereo capacitor clarity upgrade on my 205? 

Has as anyone got experience with this mod also?

I''d be looking at the unbalanced output option of the Clarity Mod...

I would definitely do it if you are interested in good CD analog sound from your Oppo.   The reason being Oppo inexplicably use electrolytic capacitors  in the audio signal path to couple the DAC to the output stage.  Other audio DACs that use capacitors in this way invariably use higher quality film caps for improved sonics.  Basically any decent film capacitors with the same value will  make an audible improvement  and Clarity are a great choice. I haven't heard the Oppo mod but I have heard enough similar mods to know that if you  are discerning about your CD audio quality, you will appreciate the difference.  

spoke to Dave at Gatti Audio, nice guy

I am going to go ahead with the region mod on both players and capacitor upgrade on the 205.

He is out of capacitors right now but should have them in a few days, then its just a matter of marrying up a time that i can get there and he is free for me to get the updates done.

looking forward to region free mod and having my dvd library open up again, but also keen/curious on the improvement the clarity capacitors make.  I've asked to retain the original parts for my keeps also.

will report back in the next week or so once done

• 2 weeks later...

@Raffinator

How did you with the upgrade?

I took my 203 and 205 to Gatti yesterday, I had the region free mod done in both and also the clarity capacitor upgrade done in the 205

I have not had a chance to hook things up again but plan on doing so after the weekend.  Curious to see how your region mod has gone

On 15/08/2018 at 9:44 PM, k3nnis888 said:

Good to know. What enhancements are you referring to on the oppo93?

i purchased the Oppo 93 off a forum member here waiting to receive it :)

looking forward to compare it to my entry level Sony s350!

not sure I will be able to tell the difference in picture quality ???

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I had a region free kit fitted for blu ray, plus an enhanced power supply (Linear Power Module), and finally a pair of Burson SS high definition op amps for the front two (stereo) channels.

The enhanced power supply made a significant improvement to both the visual and audio aspects. The Burson op amps provided smoother and more dynamic sound. 

The total cost of the mods was almost the same as the player itself (around $700 vs $800). 

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I had a region free kit fitted for blu ray, plus an enhanced power supply (Linear Power Module), and finally a pair of Burson SS high definition op amps for the front two (stereo) channels.

The enhanced power supply made a significant improvement to both the visual and audio aspects. The Burson op amps provided smoother and more dynamic sound. 

The total cost of the mods was almost the same as the player itself (around $700 vs $800). 

Cheers.

Thanks. Will these upgrades sound better than a stock 105d? I’m thinking to just get a 105d to compliment my 93 :)

Just now, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks. Will these upgrades sound better than a stock 105d? I’m thinking to just get a 105d to compliment my 93 :)

Hard to do a theoretical comparison like that.

But I can say that the LPM made a significant improvement to both the auditory and visual side of things - not sure if the 105D is better in that regard. Also, if you wanted region free you'd still need to get a kit fitted.

44 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

Hard to do a theoretical comparison like that.

But I can say that the LPM made a significant improvement to both the auditory and visual side of things - not sure if the 105D is better in that regard. Also, if you wanted region free you'd still need to get a kit fitted.

Thanks. Region free is not a huge thing for me. How did the video improve? Sharpness?