Sign in to follow this  
DrMoShen

Yamaha RX-A3080

Received mine on Friday. There doesn't seem to be much about this model on the web at the moment so I thought I'd kick off a thread.

Upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V1079 (which coincidentally happens to be for sale in the classifieds... ). I also received and installed as part of this upgrade package an Emotiva XPA3 and a pair of Martin & Logan Atmos speaker toppers.

I've had limited time with it over the weekend and probably won't get too much for another week or so.

The upgrade has addressed my main issues of the previous set up of now having Dolby Vision pass through, Deezer streaming and a power boost. The previous V1079 was underpowered for my taste. I have a personal dislike of turning up an amp past the 2/3rd mark which I need to do on quite a few movies. The power amp addition would have been enough if the V1079 had passed through Dolby Vision but alas it missed out on that firmware support.

The speaker toppers sound OK during the test tone set up process but I haven't run any atmos discs to know if they are anything to thrilled about (I suspect not, but we'll see).

I'll be honest that I was a bit surprised at the sound improvement. It was really a feature and power driven upgrade and I wasn't really thinking much about audio quality improvement but it is enough for me to immediately notice. It was also enough for me to try downloading HiRes audio files out of curiosity.

I'd taken a bit of a step back in audio quality a couple of years ago when I moved from a 2 channel to an HT system set up. The reality was we watched a lot more content than I listened to and my wife was not overly impressed with turning on dacs, amps, and other devices in sequence just to watch a show.

Anyway, to any new owners out there let us know.

Thanks for the write up, I found with the two 3060's that I purchased that for 2-channel listening that they greatly improved from where they started once they at least 70 plus hours up on them from memory.

If the 3080 sounds good from new then hopefully it only gets even better with some hours up on it.

cheers Terry

On 15/08/2018 at 9:26 PM, TerryO said:

If the 3080 sounds good from new then hopefully it only gets even better with some hours up on it.

Yeah I'm hoping so. Thanks for the feedback.

The 3080 has an XLR output for each of the fronts but not for the center. At the moment I have them connected to the power amp via RCA for consistency. Any thoughts on pros/cons of having the left and right feed by XLR and the center by RCA?

Yamaha Aust did a great deal for me for a new A3080 to replace an old A3000 that had a failed net board as the replacement part is no longer available.  I have 4 x Yami's in use at present, 1 x A3070 (recently purchased when the 3000 played up), 2 x A3060 and 1 x V1067 (old and playing up as well). 

I was going "roll down" the new A3080 to replace the A3070 (7.2.4 HT Room ) then A3070 to replace the A3060 (5.1 TV Room) then the A3060 to replace the V1067 (granny flat).  That however will be a PITA as access to re-patch the cables is access is poor in the HT and TV Room and I'd then have to re-setup all the config etc.  

I guess the Q is, is there much in the A3080 over the A3070/A3060 to make it worth the hassle to swap them all over, especially for the 7.2.4 HT Room ?

Edited by jmone

Cool. Let us know your thoughts when you have played with it for a while in comparison to your other models. 

I'm always curious as to what settings people run with as well. After an initial play I usually end up turning off as much of  the internal processing as I can but sometimes there's some elusive ones in sub menus that take me awhile to find. 

Downloaded some free quad dsd files to play on the A3080. I was surprised there was that much difference over double dsd. Almost felt as if blue coast deliberately degraded their double dsd files to make quad dsd more outstanding. They couldn't have, would they...?

The surround ai mode sound really good.

I noticed that music sounds better when I switch the input to Phono first, then switch back to the actual input that I am listening to (whether it is balanced input from sacd player or Tidal).

Use the app to do the input switching. 

I also received and installed as part of this upgrade package an Emotiva XPA3 and a pair of Martin & Logan Atmos speaker toppers.

Have you tried playing the front/centre/right straight from the AVR? I’m curious to know how much the separate amp provides, considering it is a top of the line AVR.

1 hour ago, Raffinator said:

Have you tried playing the front/centre/right straight from the AVR? I’m curious to know how much the separate amp provides, considering it is a top of the line AVR.

No, I haven't. 

Our lounge room is largish and opens up to the rest of the house with a big open void. We would typically run the amp at somewhere between -10db to -22db for most viewing.

I found that this was hitting the upper limits of the V1079 and didn't think the step up in power between the two Yamaha's was that significant.

It's probably more of a psychological thing for me though. I was told by the HiFi shop (the former Acoustic Foundry in Hyde Park, SA) that I blew a pair of crossovers of my brand new Krix Impax speakers when I was 18 due to the Onkyo amp "clipping" as it was up too loud. I had to make a lot of Whoppers & frys with months of layaway installments for that first purchase and it scarred me for life. It was a loan amp too as I was waiting for the first production release of my ME240 to be shipped.  

The moral of the story being that I now get skittish about not having enough surplus power.

This new db volume scale system has also scuttered my rule of not running an amp past 2/3 - 3/4 of its capacity as It's that bit harder to figure it all out.

I also plan to advance to a 7.4.2 set up from my current 5.2.1 so I wanted inbuilt surplus.

The long term goal will be to get to a complete separation  with a dedicated processor (such as the C5200) and the necessary power amps.

For what it's worth these are the manufacturer power specs:

Yamaha V1079 (old amp)

--- 110 W per channel (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.06 % THD, 2 ch driven)
--- 120 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 2 ch driven)
--- 165 W per channel (8 ohms, 1kHz, 10% THD, 1ch driven)

Yamaha A3080:

--- 150 W per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2-ch driven)

--- 230 W per channel (4 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1-ch driven)

--- 230 W per channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1-ch driven)

Emotiva XPA 3

300 watts RMS/channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; one channel driven.
550 watts RMS/channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD<0.2%; 4 Ohms; one channel driven.
300 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; two channels driven.
490 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 4 Ohms; two channels driven.
275 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; ALL THREE channels driven.