Budget bookshelf to pair with 90s Yamaha amp

Hi team

I'm really just starting my journey on building up a decent 2 channel system on a budget. I have a 90s Yamaha amp - an AX590 paired with B&W DM301s from Dad, a hifiberry (burr-brown DAC) streamer and a turntable. The B&Ws sound fine, pretty clean to my untutored ears but seriously lack low end and don't seem to have much warmth if I can even use that term so glibly. I listen to mainly jazz, funk, soul, acoustic and a lot of electronic music with and without beats including (many will cringe) hip-hop, house music and synth-based post-disco etc. While I don't abuse my audio gear I do like to turn it up a bit occasionally.  I have a modest record collection so will be either playing albums and 12s on my old Dual CS-505 or probably spotify.  I'd play lossless tbh, but buying flacs is  not really in the budget. 

I recently picked up some sony APM speakers which I quite liked (bit of a saga there though however involving a Russian and bespoke foam surrounds and I'm not sure when they'll be back in action). 

Can people suggest some speakers to consider around 150 but up to 200 dollars at a pinch? I'm in Perth.  I have been thinking about quality vintage bookshelf speakers known to go down lower without a sub such as the EPI 100 which I've seen on here before in my price range or some other larger sized bookshelf from the 70s, 80s or 90s. I find the Yamaha can be a bit in your face at times (not that I have heaps to compare to) so something warmer to tone that down may be good? I'm not sure I yet have the words to describe what I hear - please forgive my ignorance. 

Thanks everyone! :) 

Edited by Rrobot
edit

25 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@Rrobot These without a question of a doubt. They are warm with big bass. Great speakers, great price:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fremantle/speakers/richter-acoustics-2way-stereo-speakers/1190312874

Richter Merlin Mk1.

Thanks! I did see those in gumtree actually... They've passed hands recently - I though they might be a bit small but sounds like they're worth a second look! 

• 1 year later...
On 13/08/2018 at 11:33 PM, Rrobot said:

Hi team

I recently picked up some sony APM speakers which I quite liked (bit of a saga there though however involving a Russian and bespoke foam surrounds and I'm not sure when they'll be back in action). 

Thanks everyone! :) 

Excuse me for expurgating your OP.

How did you you go with the Russian connection?

I also have some Sony APMs which I'd like to restore, but the price of the foam surrounds and the Ukrainian connection was too much to deal with at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, Uncle Seth said:

Excuse me for expurgating your OP.

How did you you go with the Russian connection?

I also have some Sony APMs which I'd like to restore, but the price of the foam surrounds and the Ukrainian connection was too much to deal with at the time.

I do apologise for the lateness of this reply @Uncle Seth. In the end, the sony 181ES pair that I have turned out to be equipped with black anodised 22ES woofers. So I sourced a pair of foams from https://speakerfoams.com/. They did arrive, and were actually rather good quality, although not trimmed/die cut. I ended up getting a professional to do it for me as it seemed all a bit fiddly and difficult to align. 

What APMS are you looking to restore out of interest!? ? Best of luck!

I had a set of Aaron ATS4s which served me well for years.  Had it paired with a Yamaha amp, but I filled in the bottom end with a matching Aaron Sub.

The below is an older version of the ATS4 I had, but might be worth a punt and is certainly within your budget.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-aaron+ats4/k0?categoryRedirected=true

Happy gumtree/stereo.net.au hunting!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rrobot said:

I do apologise for the lateness of this reply @Uncle Seth. In the end, the sony 181ES pair that I have turned out to be equipped with black anodised 22ES woofers. So I sourced a pair of foams from https://speakerfoams.com/. They did arrive, and were actually rather good quality, although not trimmed/die cut. I ended up getting a professional to do it for me as it seemed all a bit fiddly and difficult to align. 

What APMS are you looking to restore out of interest!? ? Best of luck!

APM-101ES (Made in W. Germany). They were bought as part of an early-ish Sony Surround system, with a centre speaker and two diminuitive surround speakers.

Please excuse the dust in the pics.

APM.jpg.d2e429ab3c1052cb8d1dcf529bfd7c1e.jpg

My woofers also have the black anodised piston.

APM_front.jpg.06dd62e57ef9ba1ec8c3f88a7eb49f53.jpg