Alexa vs Google Home

Is there a way for either of these to play Spotify through a hifi system, without Bluetooth?

I want to be able use it in conjunction with a harmony remote, which would turn on my pre/pro Integra, the Elektra pre and amp.

I think an audio out would work into the Integra? I think Alexa has this but not Google home. 

Or could I buy a chrome cast audio and connect it to the Integra?

• Administrator

The Echo Dot has a 3.5mm output you could use to connect to input on the Integra yes.

You can easily integrate Spotify or Amazon Music with your Alexa account.

• Like 1

Thanks @Marc

Unless I’ve got it wrong the big problem with the 3.5mm is that when plugged in the mic doesn’t work!

I bought a google home mini then returned it (terrible sound) and got a full sized Echo (surprisingly full sound) for the living room and a dot for the bedroom.

On 13/08/2018 at 11:48 AM, Marc said:

The Echo Dot has a 3.5mm output you could use to connect to input on the Integra yes.

You can easily integrate Spotify or Amazon Music with your Alexa account.

Edited by Mike13

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Logitech Harmony Elite from Officeworks for $190 (rrp $495) price beat EB Games.

Going to program it to turn everything on through Alexa. Lights, TV, stereo. 

I recent bought (arrived yesterday) the sony lf-s50 smart speaker - got it off ebay from the sony seconds store for $149 delivered. the box had some damage (hence the discount) but had not been opened at all and the speaker was perfectly fine - so happy to have saved $100, new product and still with full sony warranty. Runs google home and I played around an was seriously impressed for the $$$. We are largely a apple house but I do have a sony TV and surround sound system. Basically got it as a speaker for kitchen. Plays spotify as part of wireless AFAIK. worked well last night when I was using it.

I actually think one feature the family will use is for making shopping lists which then auto appear on our phones - last night we rattled off a heap of things we need and its all ready for us when we go shopping. very effective voice recognition from a long distance - although it wont hear from the bedroom I found out this morning after setting an alarm on it last night and then trying to turn off this morning - had to get out of bed.

Id prefer to grab an apple home pod but just couldn't justify spending $500 to play around - this will do for a few years as a radio/music player for our kitchen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2018 at 3:37 PM, Mike13 said:

I got a Logitech Harmony Elite from Officeworks for $190 (rrp $495) price beat EB Games.

Going to program it to turn everything on through Alexa. Lights, TV, stereo. 

sorry just to confirm are you saying you can program Alexa to turn on remote 1 for example which will then have the harmony turn on the device attached to slot 1 ? 

if thats so I had no idea that was something i could do and will need to start shopping for a harmony haha

2 hours ago, Hughmiren said:

sorry just to confirm are you saying you can program Alexa to turn on remote 1 for example which will then have the harmony turn on the device attached to slot 1 ? 

if thats so I had no idea that was something i could do and will need to start shopping for a harmony haha

Yep kind of. Alexa triggers the harmony remote hub (three round things that shoot infrared signals everywhere) which can act as any remote and you can program a series of actions. 

Both Alexa and the Harmony can trigger anything that’s on WiFi, but only the Harmony can replicate an infra red signal. 

On 13/09/2018 at 10:57 PM, Mike13 said:

Yep kind of. Alexa triggers the harmony remote hub (three round things that shoot infrared signals everywhere) which can act as any remote and you can program a series of actions. 

Both Alexa and the Harmony can trigger anything that’s on WiFi, but only the Harmony can replicate an infra red signal. 

That such a simple solution! I have been s ratching my head thinking about how I could get my "dumb" devices to talk to Alexa and the Logitech harmony is a genius solution. 

On 13/09/2018 at 10:59 PM, Mike13 said:

I find the smart bulbs extremely annoying in that you can no longer use your normal light switch, or the dimmer.

It’s actually more of a hassle sometimes to use Alexa. 

That's super annoying that you can no longer use the light switch, I had no idea that was a thing 

7 minutes ago, Hughmiren said:

That's super annoying that you can no longer use the light switch, I had no idea that was a thing 

Sorry, to clarify you can use the light switch, however if you turn it off at the switch Alexa can’t turn it back on as that turns off it’s power and disconnects it from the WiFi.  

• 4 months later...

So I now have a google in the kitchen and Alexa in lounge and two bedrooms. 

I’ve got to say, Google is much better for asking questions. It seems she uses the google search way better than Alexa can.

Alexa’s are two for $50 now. I think both are  beginning their ‘give them away’ stage.