2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

7 minutes ago, Michael391 said:

Not yet al. Just keep watching a few chapters of a few 4K disc at the moment and game a little.
Planet earth 2 is the most watched disc so far.

Just blown away how good this looks. I see why all you jvc boys always go on about them.
As much as I liked my Epson and it was my first projector, it really is a Pos compared to it.

Hopefully watch a few movies this week, but the mount is on its way.
Thanks

I'm glad you're enjoying it Michael! I'm sure I'll feel the same next week when I get mine. And I figure I'll also think my Sharpvision is crap compared to the DLA-N7 ?

I'm debating to what to watch first. It'll be a 4K Blu-ray. I'm thinking Bladerunner 2049, or Mad Max Fury Road, or one of the many Marvel movies I have in 4K (probably Thor Ragnarok :) ). The first 1080p Blu-ray, possibly Star Wars Ep IV or Empire

Edited by Davo1972
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

I'm glad you're enjoying it Michael! I'm sure I'll feel the same next week when I get mine. And I figure I'll also think my Sharpvision is crap compared to the DLA-N7 ?

I'm debating to what to watch first. It'll be a 4K Blu-ray. I'm thinking Bladerunner 2049, or Mad Max Fury Road, or one of the many Marvel movies I have in 4K (probably Thor Ragnarok :) ). The first 1080p Blu-ray, possibly Star Wars Ep IV or Empire

If you want to see just what 1080P can look like , try....... "STAR WARS Rouge One"  

• Like 2

Just now, wooferocau said:

If you want to see just what 1080P can look like , try....... "STAR WARS Rouge One"  

Ah, nice suggestion. I do have that at home, and my memory is that it's an excellent transfer. Sadly DTS-HD MA rather than Atmos, but I'm sure I'll cope ;) 

Rogue One it is!

54 minutes ago, Michael391 said:

but the mount is on its way.

What mount did you order? I currently have a Peerless JVC mount that *should* work well, but the N5 is close to its maximum weight capacity.

1 hour ago, Davo1972 said:

Ah, nice suggestion. I do have that at home, and my memory is that it's an excellent transfer. Sadly DTS-HD MA rather than Atmos, but I'm sure I'll cope ;) 

Rogue One it is!

HOPEFULLY !!! your N7 doesn't look like Nigel,s ( ARROW-AV) ...  ?       To many units occurring with this !!!!  ?

We're Nuts About AV
badge_avs_gold_club_member.png

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3193 Post(s)
Liked: 5081

Well my JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 comes in VIOLET/PURPLE with a lovely undefeatable RED PUSH above black!

JVC N7 DEFECTIVE PHOTO 1-XL.jpg

1 minute ago, wooferocau said:

HOPEFULLY !!! your N7 doesn't look like Nigel,s ( ARROW-AV) ...  ?       To many units occurring with this !!!!  ?

We're Nuts About AV
badge_avs_gold_club_member.png

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3193 Post(s)
Liked: 5081

Well my JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 comes in VIOLET/PURPLE with a lovely undefeatable RED PUSH above black!

Oh snap... That looks bad!! ? Defective unit from the looks of it.

7 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

Oh snap... That looks bad!! ? Defective unit from the looks of it.

Only worrying thing is its NOT the only case... thats about 4 units so far from the limited number kicking around.. ?

'QUALITY CONTROL".....something manufactures NEED to prioritise!!!

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, warroon said:

What mount did you order? I currently have a Peerless JVC mount that *should* work well, but the N5 is close to its maximum weight capacity.

i would suggest you will be fine, load ratings for anything serving a structural purpose have safety factors of 1.5-2.5x so working within load rating will be more that adequate. refer latest post from someone utilising the peerless. and as describes its "sturdy and well supported". keep in mind with any mount ! what is very important is how mounted structurally. keeping in mind usually going through plaster but make sure into something structural and adequately secured. get an installers help if unsure. these are indeed serious projectors. most projectors are these days.  

"First impressions of the NX9...

1. It’s a very large and heavy projector. I am using the peerless mount and everything is sturdy and well supported.

2. I powered up the unit and found that convergence was off by 1 or two clicks (after a 1 hour warm up period). Using the whole adjustment, it was easily remedied.

3. I’m coming from an x990 and this puppy is noticibly brighter.  

4. I’m projecting onto a grey aurora screen from Elunevision with 1.3 gain. With this screen, the blacks are just as inky as they were with my x990. I have tested out all the interstellar scenes, a bunch of other demo content to push the DI as well as a few movie samples. I did not notice any pumping in auto1 and auto2. I did notice that on the space scene for interstellar, it dimmed down more than I would like. I did not experience any loud DI noises. The DI noise level was the same as my x990. Very very quiet. I’d have to stand near the projector to slightly hear it.

5. I popped in Lucy and noticed that the auto tone mapping brought the brightness etc down a bit on the image compared to Manual settings. I increased the tone adjustment up a bit as the manual states it’s default value is designed for 90-120” screens. The tone mapping does work well though. The image looks incredible.

6. After playing with the projector for several hours, enabling 8k eshift does seem to add more sharpness and detail to the image from my front row of seating. (Seating at 8ft from screen) 135” CinemaScope screen.

7. I also installed my Paladin non-DCR lens. Wow!!! Is all I can say. An A lens along with the NX9 is an incredible combination providing the best picture I have ever seen on my screen.

8. I have tested changing from SDR to HDR etc and the sync times are very quick. I’d say around the 5-10 second mark. Unless I’m not doing this test properly, I’m not getting the long sync times others are experiencing.

I will try out the 3D on this projector hopefully today.

Everything has totally impressed me with this unit. The focus is dead on across the entire screen. Convergence is near perfect. Colors are vibrant. Blacks are inky."

10 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

~

looks like a DOA. can and does happen, unfortunately....anything like that.... id just send it straight back ....

• Like 1

Got to agree with @wooferocau here. Whilst I hate to catastrophize as a general rule, with the small number of N-series projectors that have landed in peoples hands ( maybe 20 - 30 owners on AVS ) the percentage that are DOA and require replacement is astounding. Arrow-AV's first NX9 is a dud, and now he's got a DOA NX7.

The sheer PITA factor of waiting so long for these things to arrive, only to switch it on and instantly realise you've got to contact the dealer and arrange for a replacement, and wait for more stock to arrive.

They appear to be more fragile than any previous series, as the conjecture is they are being damaged in shipping.

Fingers crossed for all those awaiting delivery. I hope you are in luck.

Personally, the whole QC issue does not inspire me to offload my current X7000 any time soon. Especially at the prices being asked. ( I know the 2nd Gen of this series isn't going to be any cheaper, nor a laser variant )

11 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Noob question
What are you looking at/for when talking about good convergence?

Not the above. The red and blue panels are in front of and behind the middle green panel, so red and blue can be out, you will see like the above image, fringing of red and or blue. Normally you'd use a test pattern but the menu of the projector which is text is fine to use also. 

I ordered and paid a deposit for a N7 in December and have been following this thread and the one on AVSforum for a while.

Sad to say I am loosing my enthusiasm for what would be my first projector.

The wait has been frustrating but what's worse is getting a dud projector (after paying a five figure value) with convergence issues, colour bar at the bottom or a noisy DI AND having to wait even longer for a replacement!

For those who have ordered.............

Are you guys waiting  for the projector to be delivered or planning to pick it up from your dealer?

I might check the projector at the dealer before I bring it home.............

Edited by Chamii
  • Like 1

Good idea.  That is why you hope the dealer has a good relationship with JVC Australia and ask the dealer how they handle issues when they arise like the above examples?  You would hope JVC Australia would do a straight swap over and not say 'its within spec'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Another new N7 user....

Awesome   convergence there.. ?        Come on JVC  !! ......

N7 Conv.jpg

Is that yours Woofer, or someone on AVS? Truly awful convergence - more than one pixel vertically and nearly half a pixel horizontally.

55 minutes ago, Chamii said:

I ordered and paid a deposit for a N7 in December and have been following this thread and the one on AVSforum for a while.

Sad to say I am loosing my enthusiasm for what would be my first projector.

The wait has been frustrating but what's worse is getting a dud projector (after paying a five figure value) with convergence issues, colour bar at the bottom or a noisy DI AND having to wait even longer for a replacement!

For those who have ordered.............

Are you guys waiting  for the projector to be delivered or planning to pick it up from your dealer?

I might check the projector at the dealer before I bring it home.............

Mine's sitting at my dealer, for delivery to me on Tuesday. I could pop in tomorrow (my dealer is about 15 mins from my home) and get them to check it, but probably wont bother.

I'm not overly worried if it has a fault or not. If it has a fault it'll be a pain to wait longer for a projector, but I don't see any issue getting another unit from JVC.

• Like 2

Not the above. The red and blue panels are in front of and behind the middle green panel, so red and blue can be out, you will see like the above image, fringing of red and or blue. Normally you'd use a test pattern but the menu of the projector which is text is fine to use also. 

Sorry don't really get it?!
Think 10 yr old

2 hours ago, muriwai said:

Sorry don't really get it?!
Think 10 yr old

Inside the projector  there are 3 panels....   GREEN , RED,  BLUE  , when ALL  3 of the panels are aligned  perfectly they should produce a clean WHITE ..  In the example above , they RED panel is so far out of alignment that you can see it . 

If the panels are aligned correctly  everything in the picture i posted should be WHITE.. 

Edited by wooferocau

Brief observations from the N7 owner  Dylan ( Seegs)  ....☺️

With all of this said, no, the RS2000 does not have the same black level as the previous 5xx mid-tier units that the RS2000 replaces. I didn't get the chance to measure contrast but I'd have to say, iris wide open, it's probably only around 18000-20000:1. That's just my guess. I will measure tomorrow to get an exact number. I'm even going to attempt an ANSI contrast measurement. I'm still disappointed with the dynamic iris software. It's too aggressive with too many gamma shift and clipped white artifacts. I really, really hope JVC can give us back the software implementation that they used with the eshift models. It is clearly better than this implementation. It doesn't pump, which is good, but there are other distracting artifacts unfortunately. If they can fix this, I will be extremely happy with my purchase. The image quality is easily better than the eshift models. It's plain as day. Especially when I clamp down the iris a bit to get more native contrast.

5 hours ago, Davo1972 said:

Mine's sitting at my dealer, for delivery to me on Tuesday. I could pop in tomorrow (my dealer is about 15 mins from my home) and get them to check it, but probably wont bother.

I'm not overly worried if it has a fault or not. If it has a fault it'll be a pain to wait longer for a projector, but I don't see any issue getting another unit from JVC.

N5, N7 or NX9 ?

My dealer said that he sold a couple of N5s but no N7s yet.

I hope you are correct about JVC customer service.

The fact that JVC Australia haven't updated their website in a long time doesn't inspire confidence.

I wonder how we will get firmware updates.