2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

As are the wire grip polarisers which are largely responsible for greater contrast.
In the X series the lowest model (X5xxx and X5xx) got an older design of wire grid that was used in the original X3 and X35.

Yep I did note that on the other forum.

Hi All,

If this is in the wrong place I am sorry but I have a quick question regarding the throw distance and the new and old JVC’s (I may end up with a 7900 as the cost of the N7 looks like it will be way too much).  I currently have an old now but still going strong Panasonic  PTAE4000. If I am honest I have not upgraded as was waiting for JVC native 4k and only finished the dedicated cinema room (converted a bedroom) in the renovations in Feb this year. I previously had a setup in another house that was just in the living room but now I have a dedicated room.

So my issue is I only have 3.94m (394cm) from the back wall to the screen.  Now given 500mm for the projector plus minimum 100mm for air flow behind the projector I don’t think I have enough throw distance for my 110” screen (I used the calculator on projector central). Now I can build a box out on the back wall which will project into the hallway but I have high ceilings so will be well above head height may be ugly and not approved by my wife but that is another problem to work out.

Am I correct I don’t have enough throw distance? I don’t want to change the screen as it is installed in a pelmet. So besides building my enclosure and having the projector more or less flush on the back wall have I any other options.

Thank you

Zeroasylum

2 hours ago, Zeroasylum said:

Hi All,

If this is in the wrong place I am sorry but I have a quick question regarding the throw distance and the new and old JVC’s (I may end up with a 7900 as the cost of the N7 looks like it will be way too much).  I currently have an old now but still going strong Panasonic  PTAE4000. If I am honest I have not upgraded as was waiting for JVC native 4k and only finished the dedicated cinema room (converted a bedroom) in the renovations in Feb this year. I previously had a setup in another house that was just in the living room but now I have a dedicated room.

So my issue is I only have 3.94m (394cm) from the back wall to the screen.  Now given 500mm for the projector plus minimum 100mm for air flow behind the projector I don’t think I have enough throw distance for my 110” screen (I used the calculator on projector central). Now I can build a box out on the back wall which will project into the hallway but I have high ceilings so will be well above head height may be ugly and not approved by my wife but that is another problem to work out.

Am I correct I don’t have enough throw distance? I don’t want to change the screen as it is installed in a pelmet. So besides building my enclosure and having the projector more or less flush on the back wall have I any other options.

Thank you

Zeroasylum

Looks like you need ~3.45m from lens to screen to get your throw (note there may be minor variations in individual projectors). That puts the projector hard up against the back wall.

To get adequate ventilation and cable access at the rear you might be able to cut away the plaster and box in without cutting into the hallway (assuming typical 10mm plaster and 90mm framing). If there's a stud in the way and the wall is load bearing you'll need to do some serious bracing before cutting the stud.

52 minutes ago, Quark said:

Looks like you need ~3.45m from lens to screen to get your throw (note there may be minor variations in individual projectors). That puts the projector hard up against the back wall.

To get adequate ventilation and cable access at the rear you might be able to cut away the plaster and box in without cutting into the hallway (assuming typical 10mm plaster and 90mm framing). If there's a stud in the way and the wall is load bearing you'll need to do some serious bracing before cutting the stud.

Thanks for the reply. Yes they were my measurements as well. It’s a standard 90x45 wall with 10mm gyprock (California bungalow). Have renovated most of it myself so the construction is not an issue or identification of loads etc.

As there is a stud dead center of where the projector would go if recessed I would have to cut this so yes would have to add a suitable header as well as 2 jack studs to support it plus the rest. Nothing I haven’t done before and I am handy with a trowel to skim the gyprock joints once hung.

I am currently working on the hallway so don’t mind doing the work.

I did consider just going with the 110m which would be the ideal situation but would it be enough? And how future proof will it be?

I am currently working on the hallway for the reno’s so not a big deal doing the works. Ideally I want to come out the full 500mm so the projector is flush with the wall.  If this was the case for airflow I was going to fit some  AC Infinity AIRPLATE T7 fans either side so I do not create an overheat situation. However I may have to come out less. Do you think the 110mm would be enough?

Thanks

Zeroasylum

4 minutes ago, Zeroasylum said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes they were my measurements as well. It’s a standard 90x45 wall with 10mm gyprock (California bungalow). Have renovated most of it myself so the construction is not an issue or identification of loads etc.

As there is a stud dead center of where the projector would go if recessed I would have to cut this so yes would have to add a suitable header as well as 2 jack studs to support it plus the rest. Nothing I haven’t done before and I am handy with a trowel to skim the gyprock joints once hung.

I am currently working on the hallway so don’t mind doing the work.

I did consider just going with the 110m which would be the ideal situation but would it be enough? And how future proof will it be?

I am currently working on the hallway for the reno’s so not a big deal doing the works. Ideally I want to come out the full 500mm so the projector is flush with the wall.  If this was the case for airflow I was going to fit some  AC Infinity AIRPLATE T7 fans either side so I do not create an overheat situation. However I may have to come out less. Do you think the 110mm would be enough?

Thanks

Zeroasylum

I've got my X500 ~100mm off the back wall and it's been good for 3+ years, 110mm will be fine. I wouldn't bother with the fans - the best thing you can do for cooling is to keep it mounted  down a bit from the ceiling. Even with good insulation you get a lot of heat transfer on a hot day.

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

I've got my X500 ~100mm off the back wall and it's been good for 3+ years, 110mm will be fine. I wouldn't bother with the fans - the best thing you can do for cooling is to keep it mounted  down a bit from the ceiling. Even with good insulation you get a lot of heat transfer on a hot day.

I think you could be right. I ran some numbers for the N7 and it should work (Not that I think I can afford that one till it drops down when 2020s new ones are released).  I plan on installing a shelf for it just above the picture rail so be about 800mm from ceiling. Will have to suspend part of the shelf from the ceiling with stainless cables at each corner to support it and the other half on the bottom plate of my 110mm recess but easily done.

Guess I am opening up a wall this weekend :)

Thanks for the advice

Zeroasylum

3 minutes ago, Zeroasylum said:

I think you could be right. I ran some numbers for the N7 and it should work (Not that I think I can afford that one till it drops down when 2020s new ones are released).  I plan on installing a shelf for it just above the picture rail so be about 800mm from ceiling. Will have to suspend part of the shelf from the ceiling with stainless cables at each corner to support it and the other half on the bottom plate of my 110mm recess but easily done. 

Guess I am opening up a wall this weekend :)

Thanks for the advice

Zeroasylum

800mm from ceiling is a great spot to avoid roof space heat. Have fun!

yes as per quark 100-110mm will be perfectly fine. the fans on these are up front so they suck air in and blow out the back. as long as some decent gap out back (~100mm) it will be just fine as will just blow out. I too have ~100mm off back wall and it was just fine for last JVC(3 or so years) and current one (coming unto 3 years) and I am a stickler for making sure things run cool etc. Mine too is well off the ceiling (500mm) with a back wall mount. And I think that is far more important as hot air rises and better to be sitting well below that with plenty of room for air circulation around.

Actually the the X series projectors draw cool air in at the rear and via a filter on the bottom, hot air is then expelled out at the front vents either side of the lens. You can mount to projector 25mm or even less from the wall without any issues other than cable routing. Basically any distance that will allow cable entry will be plenty, even if you use a 90 degree HDMI connector. The volume of air drawn in is small so it would take a very restricted opening to cause a pressure drop and flow loss.

Whats important is allowing room above the projector for hot air to rise clear of the air inlets otherwise hot air will be recirculated.

• Like 3

Thank you for all the replys and advice. I am considering using a pole instead of a shelf to lower the projectors position. I am currently running the universal peerless mount with my current setup.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/525470-REG/Peerless_Industries_PRG_UNV_PRG_UNV_Precision_Gear_Projector.html

I can purchase an 18"-24" pole for this mount but will it work with the JVC's or would I be better to buy their specific plate kit.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766282-REG/Peerless_Industries_PRG_JVC_DLA_Precision_Gear_Projector_Mount.html

I am concerned the arms may be too weak. Anyone have any exerience with this mount and JVC.

1 hour ago, Zeroasylum said:

I can purchase an 18"-24" pole for this mount but will it work with the JVC's or would I be better to buy their specific plate kit.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766282-REG/Peerless_Industries_PRG_JVC_DLA_Precision_Gear_Projector_Mount.html

I am concerned the arms may be too weak. Anyone have any exerience with this mount and JVC.

I actually purchased the plate kit and sold it off. its not actually plate but sheet steel. and pre drilled for jvc pattern. 

the arms are just fine, saw no benefit of the "plate kit" the benefit of the arms is if hole positions are ever changed or you buy some other brand/type you can still re use the mount and just adjust the arms. why its a universal mount. mine has been used on two epson and two jvcs no problem :) 

the other benefit of the arms is it doesnt restrict air flow from above the unit which a plate mounted in close proximity to projector would.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear. I really like that mount with the micro adjustments and the way it connects together makes mounting the projecter so easy. Still debating weather to wait for the N7 to be released and then drop in price or get a 9900 now. I wish we new the prices we will pay in Aus.

14 minutes ago, Zeroasylum said:

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear. I really like that mount with the micro adjustments and the way it connects together makes mounting the projecter so easy. Still debating weather to wait for the N7 to be released and then drop in price or get a 9900 now. I wish we new the prices we will pay in Aus.

I think we already know the n7 is going to be above the price of the 9 series rrp. N7 is really is taking place of the 9 series by sound of things with the n9 moving up in the ranks with its 8k and mega lens.

I suspect if you keep waiting the stock will be gone of what jvc are trying to clear of current series. from all understanding it appears the new series is delayed by a month in any case from what were initial expectations. its a good thing as makes sure gets here when good and ready... and gives a chance for more people to experience in some fashion before release to help people making buying decisions .... 

I note in canada to help the sticker shock of the new series the sales guys there are handing out a free globe with every projector sold ... to ease the pain some...

I know it will be. And then I have to wait for a price drop. As the initial outlay is above my budget. I guess a free globe is something. In my head I say 9900 good price from launch and great contrast. Then I say if i upgrade i will be keeping it for a while so go native 4k.

1 hour ago, Dbuns said:

Has anyone heard much about upcoming BenQ 4K projectors?

haven't heard a cracker...which is a pity. benq have had some good 4k projectors already though most I think tended to have some loose ends which which hoping they sort with a new release (unless something already all good to go with current series with updates and such)

someone closer to the benq;s can hopefully add more to this...

Dealers on here, I've noticed on your sites you advertise for preorders for the new jvc, out of interest, has then been many people put down deposits for preorders or do you think the prices have turned a lot of people off compared to previous years models

Edited by T800

Dealers on here, I've noticed on your sites you advertise for preorders for the new jvc, out of interest, has then been many people put down deposits for preorders or do you think the prices have turned a lot of people off compared to previous years models

I’d be very surprised with all the hoo ha and not actually seeing them in action yet that anyone would put money down without some sort of clause. If it were generation 2 then a different story. Maybe I’m too old to know better.
  • Like 1

The Autocal software for the new 4K JVC projectors is now available for download.

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000_calibrationsoft.html

I s'pose I better get a Spyder5 then ?

42 minutes ago, Javs said:

Latest call to JVC this morning...

Shipment is not due in country until the end of November, even that is not 'certain'.

Pricing still up in the air.

:(

Thanks for the heads up Javs. Sadly end of November is after my HDMI cable and Atmos speaker installation, so I'll have to get them back to put up the projector ? 

If the shipment is due in late November I wonder when they'll reach the dealers, maybe mid December at earliest?