2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

Besides which in my case I’m 60 plus and can’t keep sitting and waiting for the better tech that will always come along and look or sound better. If you wait to see and pricing is crap or it’s not as perceived probably won’t have 7900 or 9900 left at the prices they are going for now?

On 16/08/2018 at 7:36 AM, Javs said:

Lucy however is one where there is a good deal of difference between the two versions if you know where to look.

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=604&y=328&d1=11823&d2=11822&s1=116519&s2=116506&l=0&i=7&go=1

This shot of a kitchen is a good illustration of the picture clarity  available in the 4K format. Mind you, a resolution format even less than 1080p can be satisfying to watch. (On Netflix you get titles in a broad range of formats: older ones in 480p, many in 1080p, and a sprinking of titles in 2160p. I find 480p quite watchable; it's just that 1080p is better, and 2160p better again.)

I would be on the lookout for a projector than can do 2D in 4K (faux 4K acceptable); and that can do 3D with a left-right alternation rate of at least 144Hz, with low cross-talk, and good black levels. (This is a tall order because although DLP projectors exist with low 3D crosstalk, their black levels tend to be poor.) 

On 17/08/2018 at 1:57 PM, flamjam said:

I wonder what they will do with the X series. If they will be native 4k, I wonder how the black levels will be. Perhaps the current models will end up having an overall better picture quality. With the Z1 being so much more money, I can't see how they can make the differentiation between the ranges and the price difference unless its just based on one being lamp and the other laser. Should be an interesting release

The lens assembly in the Z1 would be big $$ to produce. There are literally a handful of manufacturers in the world that can do large optics like this, at those high tolerances.. so they have a monopoly on that niche market.

And yeah I wonder about the CR too if they go native 4K. If it effects contrast, JVC's holy grail, then that's bad news.

• Like 1

[moderator post] for the 2nd time and this time as a moderator post, enough with the tired arguments please. And no need to make this another 4k argument thread, they already exist.

Can we keep to 2019 projector releases please. People come to view posts but instead find same old arguments ...[end moderator post]

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grant Slack said:

Apologies to all concerned, I may have started the need for moderation with my innocent question.

Regards,

Grant

Hey grant , no bother :) if check the subforum will see atleast 2 threads below this one covering hopefully your question. And done to death :D

• Thanks 1

I really wish for projectors and even Panel TVs we'd start to see some actual dev and tech being invested in something we all just expect from receivers - auto calibration, instead of more dots, more retinal burning nits, or in panel TV's cases, stupid useless applications (and forcing 60hz for 24p material FFS, what abominations) you are better off buying a cheap dedicated device for IF required. I'd gladly pay thousands more if, like a receiver, they came with a measurement device you could plug in and tell it to calibrate itself...

I keep hoping one year we might see something I'd classify as useful.

Sigh

Edited by Mobe1969

Yes but it would likely cost more in the end than a stand alone calibration anyway so don't see it happening nor do I see the problem. JVC's for example are spectacular out of the box anyway, need bugger all tweaking.

we finally have some info on the sony releases... and broken from the sony au of all places :D 

870es, finally we have the glorious ARC-F lens return, decent output 2200lm, finally we have dual iris, dynamic and adjustable like on the jvcs ! lens memory and 18gbps hdmi chipset. All kudos for sony for also fitting it all in a relatively compact and not to crazy heavy a chasis !  

https://pro.sony/en_AU/pdf/vpl-vw870es

https://pro.sony/en_AU/products/4k-sxrd-projectors/vpl-vw870es

570es, lens memory and decent lamp, plus 18gbps chipset, finally sony has put up some competition to JVC in the lamp segment

though doesnt look like has a dynamic iris ?  
https://pro.sony/en_AU/pdf/vpl-vw570es

https://pro.sony/en_AU/products/4k-sxrd-projectors/vpl-vw570es

270es looks like finally... gains a 18 gbps hdmi chipset ! still no lens memory?
https://pro.sony/en_AU/pdf/vpl-vw270es

https://pro.sony/en_AU/products/4k-sxrd-projectors/vpl-vw270es

• Like 2

Nice. Wonder what the pricing will be for all 3?

Will these still suffer from the lens degradation?

There is no chance for me to afford the laser though  haha.

What is the major difference between 270 and 570?

Also looks like 270/570 lens shift is like or better than a lamp based JVC? Am I reading it correctly?

Thanks,

K.

3 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Nice. Wonder what the pricing will be for all 3?

Will these still suffer from the lens degradation?

There is no chance for me to afford the laser though  haha.

What is the major difference between 270 and 570?

Also looks like 270/570 lens shift is like or better than a lamp based JVC? Am I reading it correctly?

Thanks,

K.

we have had some hints from mike G on avs and it appears a bit scary !!!

the 270 seems a bit silly given it still doesnt have iris ? or lens memory and a little down on output. the 570es is getting into JVC camp with 1800lm output and lens memory finally and the 18gbps chip set the jvc have. though it doesnt look like it still has a iris like the jvc do. main difference between 270 and 570 cant just be lens memory and more decent output, probably a few other things. 

not as restrictive as DLP but the sony have usually i have found a bit more restrictive in lens shift/ throw range than jvc. and epson usually been best with this ie in flexibility in zoom and image shift. dont see any difference with these models ... that I can see. 

no laser unless getting the 760es or the new 870es which also brings the decent arc-f lens (from the 1000/1100es) and dual iris (like on the jvcs)

not sure on lens degradation but the sony chips have been known to degrade and especially with infrequent use I understand ... not sure if this new gen sorts this out or not. 

16 minutes ago, :) al said:

we have had some hints from mike G on avs and it appears a bit scary !!!

the 270 seems a bit silly given it still doesnt have iris ? or lens memory and a little down on output. the 570es is getting into JVC camp with 1800lm output and lens memory finally and the 18gbps chip set the jvc have. though it doesnt look like it still has a iris like the jvc do. main difference between 270 and 570 cant just be lens memory and more decent output, probably a few other things. 

not as restrictive as DLP but the sony have usually i have found a bit more restrictive in lens shift/ throw range than jvc. and epson usually been best with this ie in flexibility in zoom and image shift. dont see any difference with these models ... that I can see. 

no laser unless getting the 760es or the new 870es which also brings the decent arc-f lens (from the 1000/1100es) and dual iris (like on the jvcs)

not sure on lens degradation but the sony chips have been known to degrade and especially with infrequent use I understand ... not sure if this new gen sorts this out or not. 

Hi al,

thanks. This looks like it’s higher than the previous Sony? And also maybe a bit better than jvc?

Lens shift
Powered
Vertical: +85% -80% Horizontal: +/-31%

8 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Hi al,

thanks. This looks like it’s higher than the previous Sony? And also maybe a bit better than jvc?

Lens shift
Powered
Vertical: +85% -80% Horizontal: +/-31%

it does look perhaps improved a tad ? been a while since ive looked,

from memory the jvc are +/-80 horizontal +/-34% dont know if sony improved on the throw range either,

but keep in mind it the imagine shift are linked ie at extreme of vertical shift will have less horizontal shift :) so something would need to delve into and check specifics for your setup.

HMMM, as others have previously said, now we know why Sony left such a huge lens opening on the case design of the 760ES. Obviously they already had the "improved" version of the 760ES in mind early on.

870-760.jpg

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 1

it probably would have been too much sticker shock to just go to the 870es back then, much more pallatable to have the 760es and they allowed them to bring the 870es which brings step up in optics and the dual iris.

though it seems from some mention the 760es has the dual iris capability just not enabled.....

I hope sony hasnt all this time hobbled the 760es on the iris to just give it as a feature or the 870es....

as per zombie below, he is previous 1100es owner, so would think the 870es right aimed at likes of him,

The VW870ES is what should have been the proper replacement for the VW1100 at the 25K US MSRP, not the 760ES.

finally the ARC-F lens and the dual iris control. There was no reason not to provide this for the 760ES, it's physically there but not enabled in software. 

Dual contrast control

In addition to the dynamically-controlled laser light output, an Advanced Iris is also incorporated. Both the iris control and laser can be adjusted independently, and dynamically, to optimise light output for both dark and bright well-lit scenes. The result is deeper blacks than ever, as well as bright, vibrant colours where needed. The infinite dynamic contrast makes every scene spring to life with detail and realism.

17 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Be interesting to see what sort of price the 870 is. Sounds pretty nice.

Agree... though people seem to be saying its 10k (usd) north of 760es. not sure where that came from but I think from mike garett retailer on avs, anyways time will tell.

well out of reach but its great to see sony bring this out, as we will eventually get trickle down. and we need fully featured units like this to take the fight upto jvc. rather than what we have had with models all lacking something or other.

been no mention of gamut ? I wonder if these sonys do finally cover full gamut needed for WCG on uhd with 100% of p3 ? or are they still lacking ? be crazy if the case for the kind of money these go for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, :) al said:

Agree... though people seem to be saying its 10k (usd) north of 760es. not sure where that came from but I think from mike garett retailer on avs, anyways time will tell.

well out of reach but its great to see sony bring this out, as we will eventually get trickle down. and we need fully featured units like this to take the fight upto jvc. rather than what we have had with models all lacking something or other.

been no mention of gamut ? I wonder if these sonys do finally cover full gamut needed for WCG on uhd with 100% of p3 ? or are they still lacking ? be crazy if the case for the kind of money these go for.

Yeah. I'm very happy with my current one, but will see how this all shapes out.  I do like the idea of the laser just from the lack of output degredation - I'd be happier getting someone in to calibrate. Great they are using the better lens setup, and finally have the iris accessible.So I'd be interested in an eventual upgrade. Regards the gamut, wouldn't they need a revised sxrd panel for that?

I do sort of hope everything gets sorted out tech wise with HDR before I'd buy another. I mean we are still mucking about player wise with the HDR formats. And I'm not sure why other than pro cinema projector it doesn't seem to come into the picture. I honestly don't understand what it all means projector wise - it is something I'd probably need physically demo'd to me before I got it...

Odd they have the option for a short throw lens setup as well.

Oh yeah, I'm also glad that they are still supporting 3D. I keep getting a nervous feeling each year that it might be dropped...

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, :) al said:

I wonder if these sonys do finally cover full gamut needed for WCG on uhd with 100% of p3 ? or are they still lacking ? be crazy if the case for the kind of money these go for.

With 760ES I am very pleased with the decision Sony made.  While its BT2020 setting  covers 93% of P3,  Sony have been able to achieve this performance without the use of an additional filter which always comes with  a significant light penalty.   To achieve this without light-robbing filters is a testament to the  advanced electronics  and  I am wrapped  that they have been able to do this  because with big screens and HDR, the amount of  available light can make or break the setup.  Engaging HDR doesn't mean everything goes dim. 

With the price of the 870Es and  around 3000 lumen light engine, it would be a fair bet that they will have a filter  to ensure 100% coverage ( for people who would notice the difference) . But if they can maintain such a wide colour gamut as the 760ES  without the filter as well,  I personally wouldn't  bother with it  and all  of those 3000 lumens will be available   for a  seriously huge screen.

On 26/08/2018 at 5:27 PM, :) al said:

though it seems from some mention the 760es has the dual iris capability just not enabled

Need to stop listening to the AVS forum knockers.    Dynamic iris on a laser PJ is pretty crude IMO  and  come to think of it, it is also crude on a lamp based projector. I can see the benefit of static iris however and would use that if available.  But the inconvenience  doesn't seem to warrant the ranting it has received.

9 hours ago, Tasso said:

Need to stop listening to the AVS forum knockers.    Dynamic iris on a laser PJ is pretty crude IMO  and  come to think of it, it is also crude on a lamp based projector. I can see the benefit of static iris however and would use that if available.  But the inconvenience  doesn't seem to warrant the ranting it has received.

I appreciate your perspective and that don’t see the need or value and not sure on ranting, I lived for some years prior with a projector with an iris and its a must have i my opinion vs non iris projectors have owned before. and last nearly 3 years have used a projector with dual iris including static and a dynamic one and been very pleased with the benefit and understand why sony is enabling both on the 870ES with the good step forward it is. there are sony owners on avs that wish both are also enabled on the 760es and for them I hope that wish comes through with these updates, though am not sure sony will be that forthcoming.

9 hours ago, Tasso said:

With the price of the 870Es and  around 3000 lumen light engine, it would be a fair bet that they will have a filter  to ensure 100% coverage ( for people who would notice the difference) . But if they can maintain such a wide colour gamut as the 760ES  without the filter as well,  I personally wouldn't  bother with it  and all  of those 3000 lumens will be available   for a  seriously huge screen.

I hope they do, colour accuracy is a good thing along with output and achievable with the jvc units and only see as a step forward if sony can match that ...anyways time will tell...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, :) al said:

colour accuracy is a good thing along with output and achievable with the jvc units

I think  many JVC owners would  also appreciate the ability to not lose so much light every time  HDR/Bt 2020 is engaged.    That would require better electronics from JVC to make this happen     -something  which may already be in the works.

l agree that 100% of DCI P3 is desirable but  I doubt that many  would notice - the light loss from filters is unmistakable, but also manageable with the right installation. The bottom line is BT-2020 for projectors involves some form of  compromise  at this point in time,  whether it be in the form of light loss or slightly less colour gamut.  It’s only until you get to the Z1 with it’s 3000 lumen output that the light penalty of engaging an additional filter won’t really matter 

• Like 2

So the color accuracy would just need light filter work? Not SXRD panel work? I didn't realize that. The laser model should definitely have enough guts to sort it.

I'm eager to see how it all sorts out - and hope JVC brings something to the table. To be honest it is like the last three series have seemed to be just been minor firmware upgrades. 

I'm interested to see what the Sony detailed description of the digital focus compensation is, but it seems odd.

It is great to see so much new work being done in this area of projectors.

32 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

So the color accuracy would just need light filter work? Not SXRD panel work? I didn't realize that. The laser model should definitely have enough guts to sort it.

I'm eager to see how it all sorts out - and hope JVC brings something to the table. To be honest it is like the last three series have seemed to be just been minor firmware upgrades. 

I'm interested to see what the Sony detailed description of the digital focus compensation is, but it seems odd.

It is great to see so much new work being done in this area of projectors.

id like to see them sort the colour accuracy, given apart from budget jvc rest can manage it, it doesnt seem a big ask to expect on more expensive sonys :)

anyways time will tell, good sony is bringing improvements and would expect so with new models and a hike up in price. 

also look forward to see what jvc bringing with the new models but we might not know till ifa in a few days I suspect,

ps latest from ArrowAV,

Update following speaking with SONY just now...

The 360ES / 385ES is being discontinued in Europe, so I expect it will be elsewhere as well.

So SONY's product range of home theater/cinema projectors for 2019 will be as per follows:

• 270ES / 295ES

• 570ES / 695ES

• 760ES / 885ES

• 870ES / 995ES

• 5000ES

The former are the European & Australian model numbers, the latter are the United States & Canadian model numbers.

Prices are yet to be definitively confirmed.

note all the sony au info has been pulled, no doubt published prematurely in error :D  its not supposed to be up 

though someone has kindly reposted just the info... I'll repost below,

• Like 1