Jump to content

betty boop

2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

Had a guy from the industry tell me there is a board replacement for the JVC N series to handle tone mapping. Won't be a firmware update. Sounds like it could get messy. Might explain the delays. 

Interesting. People that already have theirs won't be impressed if that's the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird, haven't heard any issues about the tone mapping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just relaying what I got from the guy. He's pissed off with the delays - but maybe JVC is feeding him BS to explain the delay in delivery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2019 at 10:16 PM, oztheatre said:

Rich, you definitely want to look at the LK970 or LK990 rather than this one... Its simply not bright enough. The 990 is 6000 lumens! By the time you calibrate it will drop 30%. The 12000 or similar LED models will be dimmer than a JVC at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, waikis said:

Weird, haven't heard any issues about the tone mapping. 

I wonder if this is the Yellow Whites that some have reported with Tone Mapping on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, warroon said:

I wonder if this is the Yellow Whites that some have reported with Tone Mapping on?

The yellowed whites occur with the dynamic iris on. 

 

I havent noticed a problem with the auto tone mapping... Perhaps JVC are installing boards that do dynamic tone mapping 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, warroon said:

I wonder if this is the Yellow Whites that some have reported with Tone Mapping on?

My understanding related to auto iris abd opening up iris. As posted in jvc thread manni has reported that cranking open iris as some are doing caused if run it closed down as manni shown removes effect :) obviously on larger screens likely to crank open. Smaller screens like manni runs you will clamp down iris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Javs said:

Rich, you definitely want to look at the LK970 or LK990 rather than this one... Its simply not bright enough. The 990 is 6000 lumens! By the time you calibrate it will drop 30%. The 12000 or similar LED models will be dimmer than a JVC at that point.

BenQ seems to be a little "Taboo"  on these forums, but the LK970 has turned out a pleasant surprise so far... :)

 

Yep, its LOW APL Black level performance is POOR, BUT!!!!!  :)  above this , it has impressed the hell out of me!  :D   

 

Spending all day tomorrow with several HT friends .... Comparing My Z1 / X9900 /X7500 and my mates 760ES directly to the BenQ LK970..

 

Will find out definitively tomorrow, but at his stage my initial impression is the LK970   produces a "Sharper" image than my Z1/RS4500 , and trust me thats saying something!  The lens on the BenQ "Shames" some PJ,s i have had here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, wooferocau said:

BenQ seems to be a little "Taboo"  on these forums, but the LK970 has turned out a pleasant surprise so far... :)

 

Yep, its LOW APL Black level performance is POOR, BUT!!!!!  :)  above this , it has impressed the hell out of me!  :D   

 

Spending all day tomorrow with several HT friends .... Comparing My Z1 / X9900 /X7500 and my mates 760ES directly to the BenQ LK970..

 

Will find out definitively tomorrow, but at his stage my initial impression is the LK970   produces a "Sharper" image than my Z1/RS4500 , and trust me thats saying something!  The lens on the BenQ "Shames" some PJ,s i have had here!

 

No idea why DLP or BenQ is a taboo topic. 90% of commercial cinemas use DLP projection. Some of my clients are absolute hardcore DLP only fanatics, they laugh at the other tech and would never go near anything else..  I've never had anyone say that about lcd.

It's got something going for it. Clarity and detail, ansi contrast, depth, motion, all important features, not just 'space scenes' of black.

 

Look forward to your thoughts after you've tested more. The lens and optics sound incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

No idea why DLP or BenQ is a taboo topic. 90% of commercial cinemas use DLP projection. Some of my clients are absolute hardcore DLP only fanatics, they laugh at the other tech and would never go near anything else..  I've never had anyone say that about lcd.

It's got something going for it. Clarity and detail, ansi contrast, depth, motion, all important features, not just 'space scenes' of black.

benq has had a rough patch oz, I remember the 8720 in 720p days that was their heyday they had a model or two after in 1080p days but that's about it. and then seemed to disappear....the last review of their 4k $10k thing was taking wcg signal and throwing it away to upsample non wcg to make some sort of interpolation. its great to see quite frankly the array of new models particularly the 5700. and without some sort of jikery pokery going on, some of their upper models are still though more for business commercial use though aren't they ? id like to see more consumer focus above the 5700 :)  with array of new models suggest putting a good argument up for DLP ....we need more choice so glad they are there :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wooferocau said:

BenQ seems to be a little "Taboo"  on these forums, but the LK970 has turned out a pleasant surprise so far... :)

 

Yep, its LOW APL Black level performance is POOR, BUT!!!!!  :)  above this , it has impressed the hell out of me!  :D   

 

Spending all day tomorrow with several HT friends .... Comparing My Z1 / X9900 /X7500 and my mates 760ES directly to the BenQ LK970..

 

Will find out definitively tomorrow, but at his stage my initial impression is the LK970   produces a "Sharper" image than my Z1/RS4500 , and trust me thats saying something!  The lens on the BenQ "Shames" some PJ,s i have had here!

DLP in general is sharp, even the cheaper models with inferior lens.

One thing I have noticed in the past with DLP is that certain effects can look cartoonish due to being so sharp., for example, fire/explosions.

Even certain scenes can look 'fake' compared to LCOS.

Please compare and see if anything like that stands out compared to JVC/Sony.

Also if not having a colour filter makes a difference in image quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


nice one Max.. good generalisation and anti benq line about inferior lenses. i cant see the point of benq trying to make a "jvc" which i guess you and most posters refer to all the time. well the majority of pj owners do not own an expensive JVC and dont want to. Benq provide great value and affordable to the average worker projectors that they can easily set up and enjoy without needing to extend the mortgage. 

they have some irrelevant pjs imo such as the w2000/3000 but did bring out an affordable w1700 tk800 for those wanting to try "4k". now they have released the w2700 and w5700, also there is the higher again lk970. so they now do cover the full range for anyone to enjoy.

lets hope they have not rushed things and rely on consumers to beta test the new range as JVC have obviously done with the N series. so many posts with problems in all forums.. didnt jvc make a DLP pj?

anyway as benq have released 4? new pjs it might be optoma's turn soon. getting crowded out there but great for the average home user.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of JVC....

I had an NX9 here and put over 100hrs on it.... So far the LK970 has put a bigger smile on my face than the NX9 ever did!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woofer high praise indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

nice one Max.. good generalisation and anti benq line about inferior lenses. i cant see the point of benq trying to make a "jvc" which i guess you and most posters refer to all the time. well the majority of pj owners do not own an expensive JVC and dont want to. Benq provide great value and affordable to the average worker projectors that they can easily set up and enjoy without needing to extend the mortgage. 

they have some irrelevant pjs imo such as the w2000/3000 but did bring out an affordable w1700 tk800 for those wanting to try "4k". now they have released the w2700 and w5700, also there is the higher again lk970. so they now do cover the full range for anyone to enjoy.

lets hope they have not rushed things and rely on consumers to beta test the new range as JVC have obviously done with the N series. so many posts with problems in all forums.. didnt jvc make a DLP pj?

anyway as benq have released 4? new pjs it might be optoma's turn soon. getting crowded out there but great for the average home user.

Lol. Nothing anti Benq. In fact I was the one that brought the Benq to the conversation for Woofer and Arrow to test and compare to JVC and Sony (in another forum).

The point about inferior lens on lesser models is actually a compliment. If you go to the cheap DLP projectors, they still look sharper than more expensive projectors with better glass.

A few issues with current DLP projectors under the 15k range are high(er) input lag for gaming, no zoom memory for scope screens, low contrast. Sharpness and lens isnt one of them. Of course theres more cons as well (same with pros), but I would definitely get one if there was zoom memory and low lag.

I still might sacrifice those two things and get one depending on the opinions of people like Woofer who get to see a variety of competing projectors together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


11 hours ago, MaxTemp said:

DLP in general is sharp, even the cheaper models with inferior lens.

One thing I have noticed in the past with DLP is that certain effects can look cartoonish due to being so sharp., for example, fire/explosions.

Even certain scenes can look 'fake' compared to LCOS.

Please compare and see if anything like that stands out compared to JVC/Sony.

Also if not having a colour filter makes a difference in image quality.

 

It's not that the BenQ projectors are doing anything to make the image 'extra sharp' it's that 3 chip devices soften the image because they can't get panel alignment right nor do they carry excellent optics unless you go to the Z1 or something very expensive. 

Cartoonish and fake? Well that's how the others would look if they had no CA or covergence problems... 

 

The DLP sharpness is because the image isn't hindered on it's way out of the projector. It's how the image is meant to look - sharp and detailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oztheatre said:

 

It's not that the BenQ projectors are doing anything to make the image 'extra sharp' it's that 3 chip devices soften the image because they can't get panel alignment right nor do they carry excellent optics unless you go to the Z1 or something very expensive. 

Cartoonish and fake? Well that's how the others would look if they had no CA or covergence problems... 

 

The DLP sharpness is because the image isn't hindered on it's way out of the projector. It's how the image is meant to look - sharp and detailed.

No disagreement there.

I think the 'softer' image is contributing for effects like fire to look better on non DLP projectors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

apologies Max. as usual i jumped the gun, must be use to the constant benq/dlp/entry/mid pj bashing over the last few years haha. although i also have criticised benq as a company that (until recently) seemed to release "new" pjs willy nilly. at least epson seems to have defined levels and lets a model have more than a few days production run (exaggerated)

 

anyway i guess the good thing is there seems to be some possible initial, yet careful support for the new benq's in 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MaxTemp said:

No disagreement there.

I think the 'softer' image is contributing for effects like fire to look better on non DLP projectors.

I don't agree that something like fire looks better on non dlp machines, softer isn't better imho. 

I love razor sharp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
The DLP sharpness is because the image isn't hindered on it's way out of the projector. It's how the image is meant to look - sharp and detailed.


That’s not the only thing. The lens still matters. I have a Vivitek and it is nowhere as sharp as the BenQ W1700 and I reckon Benq’s LK990/970 has as good a lens if not better (bearing in mind the lens of the W1700 is considerably smaller hence cheaper without needing lens shift)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oztheatre said:

 

 

The DLP sharpness is because the image isn't hindered on it's way out of the projector. It's how the image is meant to look - sharp and detailed.

Spot on....:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrow on Avs has started his reviews and the one on 570es is looking pretty bad with misalignment / chromatic aberrations or something inherent to Sony sxrd panels. Suspects now it might have been dropped.. sonys seem to have even thinner foam internally for packaging. Am thinking with where projectors are with Sony jvc both brands need to consider uping their packaging and shipping means ...especially when consider what these things cost ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, betty boop said:

Arrow on Avs has started his reviews and the one on 570es is looking pretty bad with misalignment / chromatic aberrations or something inherent to Sony sxrd panels. Suspects now it might have been dropped.. sonys seem to have even thinner foam internally for packaging. Am thinking with where projectors are with Sony jvc both brands need to consider uping their packaging and shipping means ...especially when consider what these things cost ....

Yeah I saw that Al, bloody terrible. I think it's been a problem for several years but it's finally catching up with them as people are more and more getting tired of these issues.. If it were on a TV you'd return it, but somehow because it's a projector it's ok. Not for those prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Yeah I saw that Al, bloody terrible. I think it's been a problem for several years but it's finally catching up with them as people are more and more getting tired of these issues.. If it were on a TV you'd return it, but somehow because it's a projector it's ok. Not for those prices.

Seeing the Sony  270es he also checked prior looks carp as too, reckons that’s chromaric aberration as well ? Hope something both brands get onto quick smart !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...