2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

3 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Oh man this is tragic. They really need to bring their A-game when you have BenQ, Sony and Epson doing good things .  BenQ have really raised the bar this year and are paying closer attention to their customers opinions. Very impressive projectors and my personal fave right now. Yes I know I sell them again now, but if you know me, i'm not about being a box mover. I sell them because they're damn good. I even have a 990 here and see some minor rbe, it needs firmware fixes, but if the engineers and developers at BenQ are happy to work with us peasants then it goes a long long way to perfecting the product because we use them, we know what they need... I can barely fault the 990 aside from native black level and some work needed with the laser dimming. (and maybe a few remote control menu changes) The image has been compared to the Sony 5000 which is 90K retail? Incredible really. 

Funny though I never saw the yellowing on my N7 nor has @Davo1972 ? Maybe the first ones didn't suffer from it. I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually. Just read your post @betty boop so that would explain it.

One of the problems the 3 chip mobs may never fix is just that, 3 chips + couriers. You're talking single microns of movement = convergence and colour fringing on screen and the software driven helper they use only blurs the pixels, as Owen has said a trillion times. A big bonus for DLP is that never happens.

Yeah, my unit has the yellowing. It's only apparent in specific circumstances, and for the most part unless it's specifically pointed out it can be hard to see.

Interesting explanation regarding what's causing it. If the RGB gain controls are hard coded onto a logic board it would be impossible to fix with a firmware update.

TBH I would rather have a slight yellow tinge in content on isolated occasions than constant RBE from a single chip DLP any day of the week, and three chip DLPs are incredibly expensive!  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

This has been subsequently posted on the AVS forum.

Capture.thumb.JPG.5b3f883e6bc99717cc28de73a058fa1c.JPG

I don't think it's the right time to panic just yet ;) 

Yeah I'd take anything he says with a grain of extreme bias ?

34 minutes ago, Davo1972 said:

TBH I would rather have a slight yellow tinge in content on isolated occasions than constant RBE from a single chip DLP any day of the week, and three chip DLPs are incredibly expensive!  

Same here, but since I rarely see rbe it's a non issue. I see it on the 990, but never on the 5700.

26 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Same here, but since I rarely see rbe it's a non issue. I see it on the 990, but never on the 5700.

When I watch single chip DLPs I see RBE all the time. Doesn't matter what brand or model. It drives me bonkers...

Edited by Davo1972

1 hour ago, Davo1972 said:

Interesting explanation regarding what's causing it. If the RGB gain controls are hard coded onto a logic board it would be impossible to fix with a firmware update.

I wouldn’t worry too much at this stage - a lot of processing chips in modern receivers and display devices are (F)PGAs - programmable grid arrays - and so can be readily reprogrammed. The F being field. 

3 hours ago, Davo1972 said:

When I watch single chip DLPs I see RBE all the time. Doesn't matter what brand or model. It drives me bonkers...

The only time I don’t see rbe on dlps seem to be on mega buck barcos and such way beyond my affordability :D

sorry to disagree. benq should not go chasing higher end models. stick to what they know, sell volume to the masses so the masses dont need to subsidise the cost of over rated, out of reach HT projectors. 

rainbows are seen by the minority and so should have little concern for benq. those that love jvc are happy to pay a lot more for what they see as a lot more pj, new models exempted?

dominate entry to mid, stop at the 5700 (maybe look at a j/v for uhd laser) and let others spend a ton on developing/selling to a smaller section of the overall pj market.

19 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

sorry to disagree. benq should not go chasing higher end models. stick to what they know, sell volume to the masses so the masses dont need to subsidise the cost of over rated, out of reach HT projectors. 

Huh ? They already make projectors costing in excess of 10-12k upwards ? Am talking about an in between model between these and 5700 to put pressure on jvc and sony.

4 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Yeah I'd take anything he says with a grain of extreme bias ?

Ouch ; almost as if he sells them :sarc:   On the rbe ;its curious they made the LK970 with an extra yellow segment in the dual colour wheel to help things and the LK990 has had more adverse comments. Never had a dlp though . Will be excellent if the brilliant colour options and greyed out menu items can be sorted for easier calibration Rich ; $14k is a bargain compared to the opposition lasers  :)

interestingly the superseded LS970 is still being advertised at 1k less than the likely LK990 rrp

https://www.rio.com.au/product/lk970-4k-blue-core-projector-benq/

Of course if you want 3d or potential h/t  picture tweaks from Benq or high nits for excellent hdr  or a high dci p3 colour range its an easy choice . Honestly thought it would be many moons before JVC or Sony brought laser prices down relatively and certainly not with high lumens..

Edited by cwt

Are Epson unveiling a new 4K uhd projector 

4K pro uhd apparently and on 7th May ?

seems to be an Avs event ?

Arrow has posted re a very industrial looking unit in the 

eb-L12000Q

33 minutes ago, betty boop said:

eb-L12000Q 

Looks like they're targeted at the event/commercial sector from this. Might need sunglasses in a home installation with 12,000 lumens. Contrast is only 1200:1. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, betty boop said:

eb-L12000Q

That's the TW9400, the 12000Q is a venue projector isn't it?

https://www.projectorreviews.com/review-tv/epson-pro-l12000q-4k-and-l20000u-commercial-projectors-at-infocomm-2018/

The 9400 I had one here the other day and put it thru some tests, very nice projector indeed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

That's the TW9400, the 12000Q is a venue projector isn't it?

https://www.projectorreviews.com/review-tv/epson-pro-l12000q-4k-and-l20000u-commercial-projectors-at-infocomm-2018/

The 9400 I had one here the other day and put it thru some tests, very nice projector indeed.

can’t be a first viewing then can it ? Heaps people seen one already or have as you do.. perhaps something lost in translation with the announcement :D

may 7th might come ... and go ... :D

5 hours ago, betty boop said:

can’t be a first viewing then can it ? Heaps people seen one already or have as you do.. perhaps something lost in translation with the announcement :D

may 7th might come ... and go ... :D

Oh I think there's a new LS model coming, the LS11000 perhaps?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Oh I think there's a new LS model coming, the LS11000 perhaps?

you'd hope so ! cant believe current model  still living in the prior to 4kuhd universe :) they badly need a replacement.

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

you'd hope so ! cant believe current model  still living in the prior to 4kuhd universe :) they badly need a replacement.

If Sony can do native 4k panels for 8000 rrp then Epson can do it at 9000 or whatever the LS series rrp was.

I'm sure they'll surprise everyone, they changed their release dates few years back and it's now April/May it seems. 

• Like 1

The story on AVS is that the LS sold badly. Not the numbers Epson was expecting. This was already their second gen reflective LCD design.

And there are serious doubts Epson will continue to invest R&D money on it. They may eventually get a 4K LCD and put a laser on it but I doubt the LS in its current tech will get a 4K panel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

The story on AVS is that the LS sold badly. Not the numbers Epson was expecting. This was already their second gen reflective LCD design.

And there are serious doubts Epson will continue to invest R&D money on it. They may eventually get a 4K LCD and put a laser on it but I doubt the LS in its current tech will get a 4K panel.

it was a rather LARGE projector too...

I've always found epson to lag a little in releases... the same happened with 3D ... where one of the lasts to jump onboard.. but when they did they did a great job with things.

am sure will get there....eventually :) 

• 2 weeks later...

With the lower price market  heating up heres a handy comparison between 2 hot contenders around the same price ; the Epson tw9400 and Benq 5700 ; one 3LCD the other  DLP.. Note 1 of them has more credibility to be argued "4k" if fixated with the nomenclature :) Each have there + ; s in relation to usage .. 

• Like 2

On 11/01/2019 at 8:19 PM, Marc said:

Set my new 270ES up this evening and watched 4K Black Panther. I'm coming from a BenQ 1080 so nowhere near as experienced as you guys, but my wife and I were blown away by the picture quality and particularly the clarity in the dark scenes. Very happy with the purchase which was too good to resist with free headphones and a Bravia TV at the moment!

Have you see that there is a new firmware release for the 270ES - V2.100 ?

That  Epson vs. BenQ review by Scott's Tech and Stuff  was so much better those terrible Dreamedia Home Theater reviews.  Given the lack of good video reviews of these new projectors we need people like Javs, Kris Deering, and Arrow to start making and posting video reviews. Though of course there was still no review about the 3D on either projector.  Reviewers really must stop thinking that no one cares about 3D.

20 minutes ago, shadowboy said:

That  Epson vs. BenQ review by Scott's Tech and Stuff  was so much better those terrible Dreamedia Home Theater reviews.  Given the lack of good video reviews of these new projectors we need people like Javs, Kris Deering, and Arrow to start making and posting video reviews. Though of course there was still no review about the 3D on either projector.  Reviewers really must stop thinking that no one cares about 3D.

Yeah but neither were calibrated, he used a phone, no tripod, and then took live moving images to compare with a split screen.. so kinda pointless really... Not a single test pattern or measurement given? Did he even set the contrast and brightness to start with? 

• Like 1