2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

Wow, this is the thread I've been periodically refreshing Stereo.net.au (amongst others of course) in hopes of seeing!

This will be my first projector purchase, and have spent the last 9 months slowly building up the rest of the room. Got super close to getting the JVC X7900 with the EOFY deals they were pumping, but now I'll just wait till these new beasts all arrive.

Great to see the venerable Epson 9300 finally getting an update (even if it's only a slight refresh), as the full speed HDMI ports are a very welcomed addition and means no need to purchase the various intervening devices like the HD Fury Linkers etc. Great little bang for buck those Epsons.

The JVC DLA-NX9B will be out of my range, but hoping to jump onto the DLA-N7B if reviews etc fair well.

Truth be told I also don't understand the 8K E-Shift feature in the flagship. JVC have barely entered into the 4K game... master that first maybe lads. Is it just a marketing tick box to help separate it from the model below it I wonder?

Exciting times either way. :)

I'm honestly more interested interested in display devices just continually improving color space reproduction and contrast. I mean we have media which is capable of rec2020 but I don't think anything comes even close, at at the most we are looking at full p3 coverage. Not just more dots.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mr Diamond said:

Wow, this is the thread I've been periodically refreshing Stereo.net.au (amongst others of course) in hopes of seeing!

This will be my first projector purchase, and have spent the last 9 months slowly building up the rest of the room. Got super close to getting the JVC X7900 with the EOFY deals they were pumping, but now I'll just wait till these new beasts all arrive.

Great to see the venerable Epson 9300 finally getting an update (even if it's only a slight refresh), as the full speed HDMI ports are a very welcomed addition and means no need to purchase the various intervening devices like the HD Fury Linkers etc. Great little bang for buck those Epsons.

The JVC DLA-NX9B will be out of my range, but hoping to jump onto the DLA-N7B if reviews etc fair well.

Truth be told I also don't understand the 8K E-Shift feature in the flagship. JVC have barely entered into the 4K game... master that first maybe lads. Is it just a marketing tick box to help separate it from the model below it I wonder?

Exciting times either way. :)

JVC have actually had a professional 4K projector longer than Sony. And they have also had 8K eshift for a number of years now.

I say they have mastered 4K just fine, its just the first time you are hearing about it in the consumer segment. :)

4k since 2000.

8k in 2008 and 8k eshift in 2013

gZxqoOB.png

Edited by Javs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Javs said:

I dont think the price premium for the NX9 is too much considering Sonys jumps in their own range

I think Sony's prices  can be outrageous too.   I guess much depends on  actual buying price  and I paid   below $20k for the 760ES  which I think was still a bit on the  high side but I am happy with that.      As far as lens prices go, since Sony's are interchangeable they have to put prices on them. This is the retail price of the Sony ARC-F lens used in the 870ES and 5000ES.   Of course this does not fully explain the price increase of the 870ES ( or the N9 for that matter )  since it is a retail price and does not take into account the cost saving of the original lens.  But I think it does illustrate that  no manufacturer can afford to just give  away premium lenses without a hefty price bump.

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-vpll-z7013-zoom-lens/specs/

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

I'm honestly more interested interested in display devices just continually improving color space reproduction and contrast. I mean we have media which is capable of rec2020 but I don't think anything comes even close, at at the most we are looking at full p3 coverage. Not just more dots.

As far as I am aware, the studios only master  videos to DCI-P3.  I don't think any do it to the full Rec 2020

53 minutes ago, Javs said:

JVC have actually had a professional 4K projector longer than Sony. And they have also had 8K eshift for a number of years now.

I say they have mastered 4K just fine, its just the first time you are hearing about it in the consumer segment. :)

4k since 2000.

8k in 2008 and 8k eshift in 2013

Ah right, some great info there, I stand corrected!

Having said that, is the 8K e-shift of any real benefit to a consumer level projector?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tasso said:

As far as I am aware, the studios only master  videos to DCI-P3.  I don't think any do it to the full Rec 2020

Sure but I'd hope the whole idea of having an improved color space is to eventually use it. If not, why didn't they just use p3 for the UHD spec?

34 minutes ago, Mr Diamond said:

Ah right, some great info there, I stand corrected!

Having said that, is the 8K e-shift of any real benefit to a consumer level projector?

I honestly dont think I would personally use it since over time I have missed that truly pin sharp pixel rendition. 8K Eshift will increase MTF though which means as you go higher in the really fine level details it will be less prone to aliasing. It should look a little smoother and more filmic, definitely no visible pixels to see. When you can feed it an 8k input resolution it will really do its job, as I am sure they will upgrade it to do when HDMI 2.1 is released, but right now its going to just be effectively erasing the pixel grid and increasing MTF slightly.

For very large screens it might look nice for eg.

• Like 1

a first hand over view of the jvcs from forbes

lot of respect for john archer and he is singing praises ! 

JVC Launches Three New True 4K Projectors - And They Look Awesome

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/08/30/jvc-launches-three-new-true-4k-projectors-and-they-look-awesome/#69ec483a6cf8

the note below is an important one,

"Best of all, JVC has managed to introduce both the native 4K resolution and Auto Tone Mapping features to all of its new projectors without seemingly compromising at all the phenomenal black levels and contrast that have been JVC projector’s trademark for years now. There’s still no other projector technology out there that can hold a candle to JVC in this key picture quality area."

seems quite enthused by the auto tone mapping, but not overly blown away with the 8k aspect :) and does say at times the auto HDR is too dark, but does conclude that,

"These really are tiny complaints, though, in the context of the massive step forward JVC seems to have taken with its new projectors. Keen home cinema fans should definitely book some hands-on time with them when they go on sale in October."

• Like 3

That auto tone mapping - that in itself is frigging awesome news. So any device you plug in is fine and no longer needing to deal with either individual player adjustments, or custom curves.

Just wish they were looking at a laser version with it...

According to Homecinema.fr  the JVC NX9  does not  support an 8K input signal . This means that it is only intended to be used  with regular material which will be upscaled internally and then using E-shift to display it.

According to Homecinema.fr  the JVC NX9  does not  support an 8K input signal . This means that it is only intended to be used  with regular material which will be upscaled internally and then using E-shift to display it.
Yeah the image that Michael391 post said the same thing in the fine print at the bottom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, apgood said:
18 minutes ago, Tasso said:

Yeah the image that Michael391 post said the same thing in the fine print at the bottom

yeah need hdmi 2.1 for 8k end of story. what doing here is no different to the other "8k" panels and such out there :)

59 minutes ago, Tasso said:

That is what I said about 3 posts above yours. Its purely going to increase the MTF of 4K input signals right now.

1 hour ago, :) al said:

"These really are tiny complaints, though, in the context of the massive step forward JVC seems to have taken with its new projectors. Keen home cinema fans should definitely book some hands-on time with them when they go on sale in October."

Wow, October! That's not far away at all. :D

4 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Sure but I'd hope the whole idea of having an improved color space is to eventually use it. If not, why didn't they just use p3 for the UHD spec?

I hear you.   I have seen P3 being described as the de-facto  UHD spec and unless  studios change things with their theatrical releases, it doesn't look like a wider colour gamut will be on the horizon for a while yet.

These projectors sound like they will be amazing but they could be fairly pricey here.

The current pricing on the 2018 X series projectors is damn good when you look what you will have to fork out for the new range

9 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

I can't believe that 86% coverage for the 870.

It's a pre-production model that Vincent tested.  Nigel (Arrow-AV) is saying that production units should measure higher-

I would expect that the production units of the SONY 870/995ES will measure circa 90% of DCI-P3, precisely the same as the 760/885ES. [EDIT: I see you beat me to it GregCh !]

The JVC RS4500/Z1 measures circa 102% of DCI-P3 with the BT.2020 colour filter, but you lose 40% luminance; however, without the filter it measures circa 85% of DCI-P3. So there is not a significant difference between the JVC RS4500/Z1 and the SONY 870/995ES in this regard.

2 hours ago, Mr Diamond said:

Wow, October! That's not far away at all. :D

yep with the x7000 we had similar and end november those of us that pre ordered  started to receive. 

52 minutes ago, flamjam said:

These projectors sound like they will be amazing but they could be fairly pricey here.

The current pricing on the 2018 X series projectors is damn good when you look what you will have to fork out for the new range

down go on over seas pricing, we have been pretty lucky ion the past, never know might be same again :)

2 minutes ago, Michael391 said:

The N5 has certainly got my interest. Was thinking of going the epson refresh (tw9400) but i'm going to have to save hard if i'm going to justify this to MOF....

on that point, have we heard anything more about the new epson or any new benq?

25 minutes ago, :) al said:

on that point, have we heard anything more about the new epson or any new benq?

Not much at the moment.......Still waiting for their turn or nobody cares as the jvc/sony train is going strong.

Well the Jvc train is for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flamjam said:

USA pricing is around $7000 USD for the NX7