2019 - 2020 projector releases ?

SONY VPL-VW270ES
3 new models of 4K video projectors will be unveiled in Berlin on August 30, 2018 at the IFA show, among them, the successor of the VPL-VW260ES which proposes as main novelty the addition of interpolation of images on UHD sources.

Here is the press release of the brand translated:

4K SXRD ™ Native Panels:

Presented in Sony's digital cinema projectors, SXRD (Silicon X-Tal Reflective Display) technology delivers images with a native resolution of 4K (4096 x 2160), with more than four times the detail of Full HD. The fine details are wonderfully clear and natural, with no jagged edges or visible pixels.

See blacks richer and deeper.

The latest 4K SXRD panels offer even better contrast and native 4K resolution. SXRD projection offers rich, inlaid blacks, clear cinematic motion, and fluid image. Improvements to the panel's reflective silicon layer now provide better light control for accurately reproduced shadows and blacks.

Reality creation in super-resolution

Exclusive Reality Creation technology analyzes images to the nearest pixel. It uses powerful filtering algorithms developed over the years of film production to enhance the sharpness of the image without increasing the noise of the digital image. It also improves the quality of HD Blu-ray Disc ™ and DVD movies up to almost 4K.

Colors come alive with TRILUMINOS ™

Discover realistic colors and tones. The VPL-VW270ES incorporates the TRILUMINOS color, reproducing more tones and textures than standard projectors. The crimson reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are beautifully exposed so the landscapes and seascapes look brighter. The faces are also more beautiful, with skin tones faithfully reproduced.

HDR compatibility: every image comes alive

Get the most out of today's UHD Blu-ray and streaming services with High Dynamic Range. HDR video offers a wide range of brightness for more realistic, high-contrast images and brilliant colors. Compatible with HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) formats. Sony's home cinema projectors reproduce true colors and contrasts for the designer.

18 Gbps HDMI compatibility

With an increase in 4K HDR 60P content, the VPL-VW270ES is now 18Gbps HDMI compatible for smoother gradation expressions.

4K Motionflow ™

The VPL-VW270ES 'powerful video processor delivers Motionflow ™ for smooth, clear motion even when viewing 4K content. Motionflow adds frames to reduce blur, while maintaining brightness, making it ideal for fast-moving sports content. Film purists can choose True Theater mode to keep the original 24 frames per second.

1500 lumens for high brightness

Enjoy the action with up to 1500 lumens of brightness, generated by a 225W lamp, for vibrant images on the screens.

Watch for longer with an ultra high pressure 225W lamp.

Enjoy up to 6000 hours * of viewing time (in low mode) from a long-lasting lamp. This means fewer lamp exchanges, easier maintenance and lower operating costs.

Motorized zoom and wide lens shift

Installing this projector in your room is easy with a 2.06x motorized zoom lens with a wide lens shift range. Adjust the position of the projector up to 85% vertically and 31% horizontally to get the right angle for your movies.

Select from nine calibrated image modes

Quickly adjust the image to what you are watching or playing. Choose from nine calibrated picture modes, including two movie modes, digital cinema, reference, TV, photo, game, movie theater and light television. An advanced HSV (Hue Saturation Value) color adjustment tool gives you even more control.

Fan facing forward

Since the fan is placed at the front of the projector, you do not have to worry about the wall space and the clearance for inhalation / air evacuation during installation. This maximizes the projection distance for larger projected images.

SONY VPL-VW570ES face
Intermediate model between the VPL-VW270ES and the VPL-VW870ES , the VPL-VW570ES is the successor to the VPL-VW550ES.

Here is a summary of its features (Sony press release translated):

4K SXRD ™ Native Panels

Presented in Sony's digital cinema projectors, SXRD (Silicon X-Tal Reflective Display) technology delivers images with a native resolution of 4K (4096 x 2160), with more than four times the detail of Full HD. The fine details are wonderfully clear and natural, with no jagged edges or visible pixels.

See blacks richer and deeper.

The latest 4K SXRD panels offer even better contrast and native 4K resolution. SXRD projection offers rich, inlaid blacks, clear cinematic motion, and fluid image. Improvements to the panel's reflective silicon layer now provide better light control for accurately reproduced shadows and blacks.

350,000: 1 dynamic contrast for breathtaking realism

A dynamic contrast of 350,000: 1 brings each scene to life with finesse and realism. The powerful video processor is combined with lens iris control for deep blacks, inking blacks and vibrant colors.

Reality creation in super-resolution

Exclusive Reality Creation technology analyzes images to the nearest pixel. It uses powerful filtering algorithms developed over the years of film production to enhance the sharpness of the image without increasing the noise of the digital image. It also improves the quality of HD Blu-ray Disc ™ and DVD movies up to almost 4K.

Colors come alive with TRILUMINOS ™

Discover realistic colors and tones. The VPL-VW570ES incorporates the TRILUMINOS color, reproducing more tones and textures than standard projectors. The crimson reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are beautifully exposed so the landscapes and seascapes look brighter. The faces are also more beautiful, with skin tones faithfully reproduced.

HDR compatibility: every image comes alive

Get the most out of today's UHD Blu-ray and streaming services with High Dynamic Range. HDR video offers a wide range of brightness for more realistic, high-contrast images and brilliant colors. Compatible with HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) formats. Sony's home cinema projectors reproduce true colors and contrasts for the designer.

18 Gbps HDMI compatibility

With an increase in 4K HDR 60P content, the VPL-VW570ES is now 18Gbps HDMI compatible for smoother gradation expressions
4K Motionflow ™

The powerful VPL-VW570ES video processor delivers Motionflow ™ for smooth, clear motion even when viewing 4K content. Motionflow adds frames to reduce blur, while maintaining brightness, making it ideal for fast-moving sports content. Film purists can choose True Theater mode to keep the original 24 frames per second.

1,800 lumens for high brightness

Enjoy the action with high brightness and high contrast. A 280W lamp generates the required brightness for vibrant images on the screens.

Watch for longer with an ultra high pressure 280W lamp.

Enjoy up to 6000 hours * of viewing time (in low mode) from a long life mercury lamp. This means fewer lamp exchanges, easier maintenance and lower operating costs. Approximately the recommended period, in low mode.

Image position memory stores your settings.

Store lens, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen sizes for easy recall. The image position memory stores key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16: 9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector.

Select from nine calibrated image modes

Quickly adjust the image to what you are watching or playing. Choose from nine calibrated picture modes, including two movie modes, digital cinema, reference, TV, photo, game, movie theater and light television. An advanced HSV (Hue Saturation Value) color adjustment tool gives you even more control.

SONY VPL-VW870ES FACE
Here, the SONY VPL-VW870ES is unveiled a few days before the official launch at IFA 2018:

Here is the press release of the brand translated:

The Sony uses a laser light source Z-Phosphor Ultrapure ™ and reliable. This light source developed by Sony offers bright images for up to 20,000 hours of uninterrupted operation - no lamp replacement and virtually no maintenance.

SONY VPL-VW870ES
SONY VPL-VW870ES

In addition to the dynamically controlled laser light output, an advanced iris is also incorporated. The iris control and the laser can be adjusted independently and dynamically to optimize light output for bright, well-lit dark scenes. The result is deeper blacks than ever, as well as vivid and vibrant colors where it's needed. The infinite dynamic contrast brings each scene to life with detail and realism.

For superb image quality across the entire screen, the VPL-VW870ES features an All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens. This large aperture lens adopts an all-glass design for its 18 elements, including six ELD (Extra Low-Dispersion) elements. This ensures optimal convergence of the red, green and blue primaries even at the extreme edges of the image for a clear and vivid picture wherever you look.

Optimal focusing is achieved not only optically but also numerically by the Digital Focus Optimiser. It compensates in advance for the possible optical degradation of the lens, and then produces the optimally corrected images, so that even the focus in the corners is better than ever.

With the increase of 4K HDR 60P sources, the VPL -VW870ES is now 18Gbps HDMI compatible.

The VPL-VW870ES powerful video processor offers the Motionflow ™ option for smooth, clear motion even when viewing 4K content. Motionflow adds frames to reduce blur, while maintaining brightness, making it ideal for fast-moving sports content. Film purists can choose True Theater mode to keep the original 24 frames per second.

Enjoy the action with up to 2200 lumens of brightness from the laser light source, for vibrant images on the displays.

Store lens, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen sizes for easy recall. The image position memory stores key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16: 9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector.

I have the PDFs downloaded for the three but no idea how to attach those.

I guess as the 870 is above the 760, and the 760 is still available, it will be a chunk more.

That model does really pique my interest though...

Interesting to see in a few days what JVC has too!

VPL-VW870ES.pdf

VPL-VW570ES.pdf

VPL-VW270ES.pdf

Edited by Mobe1969
Lets see if the attach works..
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

I have the PDFs downloaded for the three but no idea how to attach those.

I guess as the 870 is above the 760, and the 760 is still available, it will be a chunk more.

That model does really pique my interest though...

Interesting to see in a few days what JVC has too!

VPL-VW870ES.pdf

VPL-VW570ES.pdf

VPL-VW270ES.pdf

no lens memory on 270ES? ?

Edited by WasM

On 28/08/2018 at 3:41 PM, Tasso said:
I think  many JVC owners would  also appreciate the ability to not lose so much light every time  HDR/Bt 2020 is engaged.    That would require better electronics from JVC to make this happen     -something  which may already be in the works.

l agree that 100% of DCI P3 is desirable but  I doubt that many  would notice - the light loss from filters is unmistakable, but also manageable with the right installation. The bottom line is BT-2020 for projectors involves some form of  compromise  at this point in time,  whether it be in the form of light loss or slightly less colour gamut.  It’s only until you get to the Z1 with it’s 3000 lumen output that the light penalty of engaging an additional filter won’t really matter 

What?

I can get 91% DCI right now without using my p3 filter in the JVC, you do know you can set it to still display bt2020 without one right?

I always laugh how people say hitting 99% of people with a filter is some kind of con vs a unit with no filter at all.

When you actually have the choice to use or not use a filter it trump's the lack of filter option every time.

Also with my projector the light loss is only 7% it's hardly bad, and the extra colour noticeable and worth it. You got from 33fl to 30fl big deal :)

Edited by Javs
  • Like 2

Sony 870ES  has 2200 Lumen  output and I am guessing they are using a similar  light engine  to  the 760ES with tweaks. No mention of dual laser.     Provided that they can achieve around  93% DCI-P3 without  engaging a filter like the 760ES, that will be decent  enough for big screen HDR.  It seems Sony went to a lot of trouble developing the tech for  high native P3 coverage  which was first seen first seen in the 5000, although that model has a P3 filter as well.  However, if  a filter must be deployed,  the  3000 lumen capability of the Z1 would do it better.    

43 minutes ago, Javs said:

What?

I can get 91% DCI right now without using my p3 filter in the JVC, you do know you can't set it to still display bt2020 without one right?

I always laugh how people say hitting 99% of people with a filter is some kind of con vs a unit with no filter at all.

When you actually have the choice to use or not use a filter it trump's the lack of filter option every time.

Also with my projector the light loss is only 7% it's hardly bad, and the extra colour noticeable and worth it. You got from 33fl to 30fl big deal :)

I have checked with light meter, verifying light loss with my projector filter or no filter, its 2/5ths of stuff all ! 

granted I use a smaller screen but its one notch on the iris thats it ... if just

I agree.... I'd rather the accuracy with the filter quite frankly :) 

25 minutes ago, Javs said:

What?

I can get 91% DCI right now without using my p3 filter in the JVC, you do know you can't set it to still display bt2020 without one right?

Light loss from the JVC Z1  has been  said to have up to 40%  light loss with filter engaged.   You are lucky with your 7%   since a couple I have seen appear to have   been severely affected  when the filter is engaged .   I don't think having a filter is a con , but I do know that people I have spoken to have been put off by HDR when they see  light output dropping significantly.  This plus light loss through lamp ageing  needs to be factored in to the screen size etc.      

24 minutes ago, :) al said:

I agree.... I'd rather the accuracy with the filter quite frankly :) 

Unless JVC  colours are inaccurate to begin with, there should be no improvement in accuracy ,  just  a slightly wider gamut.

Light loss from the JVC Z1  has been  said to have up to 40%  light loss with filter engaged.   You are lucky with your 7%   since a couple I have seen appear to have   been severely affected  when the filter is engaged .   I don't think having a filter is a con , but I do know that people I have spoken to have been put off by HDR when they see  light output dropping significantly.  This plus light loss through lamp ageing  needs to be factored in to the screen size etc.      
There was an auto correction spelling mistake in my post. I meant to say you can set it up to use a filter, or not use a filter to show bt2020 not sure if that was obvious or not.

Without is about 91% DCI and the filter is 99%.

As for the light loss, across a couple jvc's now the trick is in how you calibrate it. Comes out to about 7% on all the lamp models. They aimed too high with the Z1 so the filter is quite extreme on that one. They should be shooting for 100% p3 and not 107% like they did.

1 minute ago, Javs said:

I meant to say you can set it up to use a filter, or not use a filter to show bt2020 not sure if that was obvious or not.

Yes - I picked that up  and will advise concerned owners accordingly.  It is a good solution in some situations.  

4 hours ago, Tasso said:

An interesting take on contrast specs for those looking at buying new projectors.

You will never get your room to display ANSI contrast any greater than about 400:1 on the actual screen despite having a display able to project higher, that is unless you have a one in a million room with absolutely incredible velvet treatments on every single surface.

On/OFF is very important because its closer to where the real content level lies with most films. Most content averages near 5% ADL. So actually the most important contrast specs would be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5% ADL.

Been through this in depth over on AVS.

What you are proposing would mean a DLP with 550:1 ANSI and only 1000:1 native contrast would trump a JVC with 320:1 ANSI and 160,000:1 native contrast. That could not be further from the truth and that is because near black contrast is for more important than ANSI.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Javs said:

What you are proposing would mean a DLP with 550:1 ANSI and only 1000:1 native contrast would trump a JVC with 320:1 ANSI and 160,000:1 native contrast. That could not be further from the truth and that is because near black contrast is for more important than ANSI.

I was just being  the messenger!   Yes, I have compared my previous DLP to current JVC and Sony  and the DLP loses out overall for contrast in a totally dark room . However, the DLP did do some scenes better, particularly  with shadow detail .    I think it is also worth reminding people  if they are contemplating having ambient light in the room with these high contrast projectors,  the light will  raise the black levels and  destroy   contrast.