Hello from Perth

Hi all

Have been a member on these forums for some time but not been able to get a setup I really want due to budget constraints.  The community here seems really knowledgeable and helpful.

My current setup is a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R (v3 I think) running in Stereo to a pair of Yamaha NS45E floor-standers.  I did say I had budget constraints :)

I've been looking at a small upgrade to some Yamaha NS-70 floor-standers here:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/guildford/stereo-systems/yamaha-floor-standing-speakers/1191696294

What do you think of those and at that price ?  I've not listened to them - yet will soon - but spec-wise they are an upgrade from my current speakers.

Thank you all in advance!

regards,

rd

Edited by Rdefonseka
emphasis

Guest DarkNark

Hi RD

Welcome to the forum.

8 hours ago, Rdefonseka said:

Hi all

Have been a member on these forums for some time but not been able to get a setup I really want due to budget constraints.......

I think everyone is in the same boat to some extent. :) Just some budgets are bigger than others.

All advice below needs to be taken with a grain of salt as I am a beginner and certainly no speaker expert.

As for the NS70's you are eyeing off you are on the right track planning to go have a listen to them. I would be trying to get them a little cheaper than the asking price.

If I had your budget I would want to try and listen to these... Link. In your price range and a little easier load to drive for your amp.

I would also suggest that you post your question in the Speakers and Subwoofers section. You will get a lot more responses. Competent ones at that! ?

Enjoy your time here.

Dave

Welcome RD.

What Dave said. Those Tannoys look to be a bargain.

I also had a 540R for a good while and enjoyed it until I succumbed to the general knowledge here that a dedicated integrated stereo amp is better for music listening. You might want to look at that as another step when funds allow - unless of course that you use the 540R more for movies and TV.

Thanks so much everybody. Noted that a dedicated amp is the way to go and I forgot to mention that as a planned step in the future :)

Those Tannoys look like a good buy and they are a newer build too. Will check them out.

thanks again for the info and warm welcome!

Guest DarkNark
36 minutes ago, Rdefonseka said:

.......Will check them out......

Another option may be a WTB post. You never know what gems will turn up for your budget.

Just following up on the point about matching eg the Tannoy's with my current A/V amp setup.  I can see the C/A amp power specs matching the Tannoys (eg up to 90W per channel).

I am looking in the future to upgrade the amp to something like the Yamaha R-N602 or the R-N303.  I can see those amp specs a little higher than the Tannoy recommended power.  Sorry for the newbie questions please.  Just trying to feel the water.

thank you in advance!

Guest DarkNark
35 minutes ago, Rdefonseka said:

I can see those amp specs a little higher than the Tannoy recommended power.  Sorry for the newbie questions please.  Just trying to feel the water.

Are you worried that the new amp power specs is higher than the max power rating of the speakers?

My limited understanding is that if your amp has can produce potentially more power than your speakers max power handling, then this is not really a problem. By the time you get to those volume levels your ears will be bleeding, the windows shattered and the cat dead from a heart attack. Obviously if you want to drive your speakers to ear damaging volume levels, you may need to take the power handling of the speaker into consideration. I believe the main problem comes from an amp with not enough power trying to drive inefficient speakers, whereby to achieve the volume level that you want you are pushing the amp and it can lead to the amp clipping. This is far more likely to damage the speaker.

My current speakers 

Power Handling:  550 W Short term IEC 268-5, 200 W Long term IEC 268-5

Driven by 2 x mono blocks

Power output (@0.1% THD): 
1,000 watts RMS into 4 ohms.
600 watts RMS into 8 ohms.

I would encourage you to post these sorts of questions in the appropriate forum. You will have a bigger and more technically astute audience.

Edited by DarkNark

Guest DarkNark

+1 @steffanth

His analogy makes it a little easier to understand.

When I was choosing speakers I paid particular attention to the impedance. Which is why I suggested the Tannoy with 8 Ohm impedance rather than the Yamahas 6 Ohm.

Guest DarkNark
3 minutes ago, Rdefonseka said:

In my case the Tannoys seem like right upgrade option. 

Only if they sound good to you.

Take your time, ask lots of questions, put a WTB post up if you want. Don't be in a rush to upgrade. Enjoy your NS 45's while you peruse your options. :)