Jump to content

PKay

Dynavector 17D3 new upgrade to 17DX

Recommended Posts

For those of you considering the 17D3 and wavering I would suggest you jump in as soon as possible. The 17D3 is being superceded and the new cart will be about 50% more expensive.

The new cart will have a brass body so the weight will increase considerably (inline with the price increase).

 

From the website:

 

Drawing on Dynavector's 'dispersion theory'that produced the original world first KARAT series Dynavector are indeed proud to announce the entirely new 17DX KARAT Diamond phono cartridge. As in the past KARAT series, the frequency response of the new KARAT 17DX at 20 to 20,000 Hz is ruler flat providing an extremely accurate groove tracking ability. However, several new features will ensure that the new 17DX will shortly gain the same legendary status and soon surpass its predecessors.

 

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has heard the new cart?

Specifications

Type Low output moving coil cartridge with flux damper and softened magnetism
Output Voltage 0.3mV (at 1KHz, 5cm/sec.)
Channel Separation 25 dB (at 1KHz)
Channel balance 1.0 dB (at 1KHz)
Frequency response 20 - 20,000Hz (± 1dB)
Compliance 15 mm/N
Tracking force 1.8 - 2.0 g
Impedance 32 ohms
Recommended load impedance > 100 ohms
Cantilever 1.7mm length solid diamond
Stylus tip Micro-Ridge
Weight 11.0 g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.musicdirect.com/phono-cartridges/Dynavector-17DX-Karat-MC-Phono-Cartridge

 

Strange then that Musicdirect have the new 17DX on their website for $1350usd which is pretty much the same as the 17D3 sold for in the US iirc.

Maybe they have made an error in their pricing  ?

 

 

 

 

Edited by MarkT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PKay said:

For those of you considering the 17D3 and wavering I would suggest you jump in as soon as possible. The 17D3 is being superceded and the new cart will be about 50% more expensive.

The new cart will have a brass body so the weight will increase considerably (inline with the price increase).

 

From the website:

 

Drawing on Dynavector's 'dispersion theory'that produced the original world first KARAT series Dynavector are indeed proud to announce the entirely new 17DX KARAT Diamond phono cartridge. As in the past KARAT series, the frequency response of the new KARAT 17DX at 20 to 20,000 Hz is ruler flat providing an extremely accurate groove tracking ability. However, several new features will ensure that the new 17DX will shortly gain the same legendary status and soon surpass its predecessors.

 

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has heard the new cart?

Specifications

Type Low output moving coil cartridge with flux damper and softened magnetism
Output Voltage 0.3mV (at 1KHz, 5cm/sec.)
Channel Separation 25 dB (at 1KHz)
Channel balance 1.0 dB (at 1KHz)
Frequency response 20 - 20,000Hz (± 1dB)
Compliance 15 mm/N
Tracking force 1.8 - 2.0 g
Impedance 32 ohms
Recommended load impedance > 100 ohms
Cantilever 1.7mm length solid diamond
Stylus tip Micro-Ridge
Weight 11.0 g

 

Peter, at a HF-spec of 20kHz ... I wouldn't call the 17DX as especially great.  (Although they do specify +/- only 1dB - unlike other mfrs, who might be referring to -3dB at their high frequency spec.)

 

Some carts - eg. the Benz LP which I had (and certainly my Stanton WOS CS100) have an upper FR specced at 50kHz.  Now some might claim that this is irrelevant (as we can't hear that high) - but the relevance is that:

  • the higher the FR ... the quicker the 'rise time'.
  • the quicker the rise time - the better the cart responds to transients.

So it would seem the 17DX is not pertickly good at transient response?  (Compared to other carts.)

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

Peter, at a HF-spec of 20kHz ... I wouldn't call the 17DX as especially great.  (Although they do specify +/- only 1dB - unlike other mfrs, who might be referring to -3dB at their high frequency spec.)

 

Some carts - eg. the Benz LP which I had (and certainly my Stanton WOS CS100) have an upper FR specced at 50kHz.  Now some might claim that this is irrelevant (as we can't hear that high) - but the relevance is that:

  • the higher the FR ... the quicker the 'rise time'.
  • the quicker the rise time - the better the cart responds to transients.

So it would seem the 17DX is not pertickly good at transient response?  (Compared to other carts.)

 

Andy

 

Andy,

 

Does that mean that the 17D3 which goes up to 100,000 Hz is superior?  In any case I think the WOS discussion has died off.  My understanding is that the 17D3 has one of the flatest frequency response.  Looking at the graph the marketing doesn't have the top of the high frequency on the DX on the spec sheet.

 

17D3 Karat Diamond is the first cartridge built using 'dispersion' theory. Its Micro-Ridge stylus and very short (1.7mm) solid diamond cantilever give a huge reduction in 'frequency dispersion', unmatched dynamics and a high frequency extension all the way up to 100kHz

 

 

Type  Low output moving coil cartridge with flux damper and softened magnetism
Output Voltage  0.3mV (at 1KHz, 5cm/sec.)
Channel Separation  25 dB (at 1KHz)
Channel balance  1.0 dB (at 1KHz)
Frequency response  20 - 20,000Hz (± 1dB), 20 - 100,000Hz
Compliance  15 x 10-6 cm/dyn
Tracking force  1.8 - 2.2grams
DC resistance  R=38 ohms
Recommended load
resistance
 > 100 ohms
Cantilever  1.7mm length, 0.25dia solid diamond
Stylus  Micro-Ridge
Weight  5.3 grams

 

17DX frequency.JPG

 

The Benz LPS is also $6k so a lot of difference in pricing.

Edited by PKay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkT said:

https://www.musicdirect.com/phono-cartridges/Dynavector-17DX-Karat-MC-Phono-Cartridge

 

Strange then that Musicdirect have the new 17DX on their website for $1350usd which is pretty much the same as the 17D3 sold for in the US iirc.

Maybe they have made an error in their pricing  ?

 

 

 

 

That is interesting as I was told the Australian pricing will be around $2.5k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shipping and storage must be hefty for this particular type of audio equipment....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Happy said:

Shipping and storage must be hefty for this particular type of audio equipment....

So far IME Dynavector is one of the few brands where Aust pricing has been on par or better than overseas.

 

Eg, 

DYNAVECTOR - Te Kaitora Rua MC Phono Cartridge - Music direct

Phono Cartridges

Price US$3,450.00 (excluding taxes)
 
Australian pricing A$4,335 - JD audio online price
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a few comparison prices

 

Available in New Zealand now, the price of the Karat 17DX is $2,700 = $2243.33, UK RRP - £1,249 = $2183.38, USA $1350 = $1848.56  no price in aus as yet.RRno price in aus as yetP - £1,249RRP - £1,249RRRRP - £1,249P - £1,249

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

what's the AUD price of the 17D3 ?

$1,760

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×