Cafad

Technical Brain TB-Zero/int Review

52 minutes ago, frednork said:

Something that I found really improved soundstage depth in my setup was to bring the listening position (ie where your head is) to the top of an equilateral triangle formed by the speakers. (it seemed far too close to me). Toe the speakers in quite drastically so they point to your ears or just outside of and give that a go and adjust from there. I found the soundstage  extended back a long way with this setup.

I've been doing that for the last two listening rooms.  I helps with first reflections and stereo effects too.  

I may have to do some room measuring to sort this one out.  I've got the gear, just have to set everything up and go through the motions.  Probably over Easter.

29 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I've been doing that for the last two listening rooms.  I helps with first reflections and stereo effects too.  

I may have to do some room measuring to sort this one out.  I've got the gear, just have to set everything up and go through the motions.  Probably over Easter.

Sorry, preaching to the converted!

22 hours ago, frednork said:

Sorry, preaching to the converted!

:yes:

On 14/04/2019 at 7:42 PM, BRM said:

Another possibility is difference in the tubes.  Most tubes of the same brand & type can vary considerably in gain and conductance.  There could also be different brands or alternative tubes being used?  It appears the Droplet CDP5.0 uses Sovtek 6H30's as stock tubes.

Hi BRM, yes that is possible but unlikely, I have previously spoken with Greg regarding options for tube upgrades for the Droplet and he told me he orders all of the Droplets he receives with the highest spec tube upgrade option from the factory.

So chances are that both Droplets have the same tubes fitted, especially given it is an arse of a job to change tubes in this CDP and one that usually most people would get a tech to do.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

On 15/04/2019 at 8:22 PM, Cafad said:

I realise I'm late coming to this, but do you have get Better Sound by Jim Smith?  It has a lot of tips for dealing with awkward rooms.

Also, do you use a test disc, such as the XLO , Stereophile No 2 and the Alan Parsons set-up disc?  I find these invaluable as a quick check after I've made changes to my system.  I'd be embarrassed to say how many times I've been caught out with the channels reversed or out of phase.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MichaelN
      tem: Simaudio Moon 240i Integrated Amplifier
      Location: Killara, NSW. Will only do local pickup or local delivery (no postage) due to the value and fragile item.
      Price: $2200 ono
      Item Condition: Mint Condition (no scratches) 
      Reason for selling: Recently upgraded and no longer required. Keen to sell rather than hording old gear 🙂
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      This is the Moon 240i amplifier which I bought from "Addicted to Audio" (Newtown) in Mar 2018. I have the receipt for the original purchase. It currently retails for $3999 from Addicted to Audio. See link below:
      https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/simaudio-moon-240i-integrated-amplifier

I bought this amplifier after reading about it in What Hi Fi Award for 2017 and 2018. See link below:
      https://www.whathifi.com/moon/240i/review

Link for product below:
      https://simaudio.com/en/product/240i-integrated-amplifier/

This is a great amplifier for it's price point and I have had many hours of happy listening to this product. This product is in mint condition (no scratches/damage).  It comes with all the original packaging including - box, manuals, remote control, Simlink cable. 

Let me know if any questions. 

Pictures:

• By Aussieamps
      Item: Holton Audio One-Zero-Zero Mini Supreme
      Price: $2800.00 Includes Shipping Within Australia
      Item Condition: Brand New
      Reason for selling: On Sale!
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Credit Card, Direct Deposit
      Extra Info:

Normal Price is $3200.00
      PM Me for details or email me at info@holtonprecisionaudio.com

Pictures:

• By Tivoli Hi-Fi
      Item: Trade-In Arcam FMJ-A38 Integrated Amplifier Silver
      Location: Tivoli Hi-Fi 155 Camberwell Road Hawthorn East VIC 3123
      Price: $1299 Special SNA Forum Discount $1100 Including shipping anywhere in Australia
      Item Condition: Trade-In stock in Good Condition. Comes with Remote Control. No original packaging. Can be safely Shipped anywhere in Australia
      Payment Method: Direct Deposit, Paypal, Cash - Pickup in store, Credit Card including AMEX with no fees or penalties.
      Extra Info:
      Fully inspected and tested prior to sale.

105 wpc continuous!
      Good condition line level integrated amplifier, optional phono module NOT installed.
      Lots of inputs and outputs!
      With over 30 years of audiophile engineering experience, Arcam is one of the UK’s most respected audio companies. 
      The A38 design team was given a simple goal; to develop the best performing stereo amplifier Arcam had ever produced. Although a huge task, the team dug deep into the basic structure of amplifier design and the result was a remarkable improvement in fidelity.
      An in-house research project yielded a wealth of information concerning the influences of thermal conditions on power amplifier performance. As a result the A38 features a number of new technologies which practically eliminate thermal modulation of audio signals and ensure truly dynamic and enthralling reproduction. New Sanken output devices and dramatically improved thermal coupling provide an extremely stable device temperature resulting in much improved linearity.
      The massive torroid based power supply delivers effortless power with a new low noise topology improving transient response. A new pre-amplifier design, featuring hermetically sealed “reed” relays from Arcam’s range topping C31 pre-amplifier; deliver a wonderfully transparent signal to each power amplifier. Reed relays offer extremely low contact resistance and virtually infinite life span. 
      All Trade in items come with a 3 month warranty

For prompt after hours response contact Tivoli Hi-Fi Staff member @jimsan

Pictures:

• By SHF Staff
      Item: Parasound JC1(pair)
      Location: Sydney Hi-Fi Castle Hill Shop 7/19 Victoria Avenue Castle Hill, NSW
      Price: $8,000
      Item Condition: used in very good condition
      Reason for selling: Trade In
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Cards
      Extra Info:
      Recently traded Mono's in excellent condition and a steal at this price!

Parasound JC 1 Key Features;
      Premier monaural amplifier Circuitry designed by legendary John Curl and CTC Builder Ultra-high bias Class A/AB operation Exclusive two position bias level adjustment Balanced inputs with discrete circuits and XLR connectors Vampire Direct gold-plated OFC RCA input Dual heavy-duty 24k gold-plated 5-way speaker binding posts Direct Coupled – no capacitors or inductors in signal path Complementary MOSFET driver stage and JFET input stage 18 beta-matched 15 amp, 60 MHz bipolar output transistors 1.9 kVA encapsulated toroid power transformer Independent power supplies for input, driver and output stages 18,000 μF filters for driver stage 132,000 µF Nichicon Gold Tune filters for output stage DC Servo and relay protection circuits REL and Nichicon Muse capacitors Harris hyper-fast soft recovery diodes for all bridge rectifiers Auto turn-on by 12v trigger or audio signal trigger Ground lift switch , adjustable turn-on delay 4u Chassis with rear carry handles, rack mounting kit included THX Ultra2 certified Continuous power output, 20Hz – 20 kHz:
      400 watts RMS x 1, 8 Ω
      800 watts RMS x 1, 4 Ω
      1200 watts RMS x 1, 2 Ω
      Class A power output, 20Hz – 20 kHz:
      25 watts, bias set to high, 8 Ω
      10 watts, bias set to low, 8 Ω
      Dimensions WHD = 432 X 178 X 508 each
      Weight 29.1kg each

Pictures:

• By Ian Stuart
      Item: Rotel RC-1550 Pre-amplifier and RB-1552 Power Amplifier
      Price: $1250 or separately RC-1550 $700 and RB-1552 $750
      Item Condition: Good.  The PCB on RC-1550 was replaced in Feb 18
      Reason for selling: Bought my son's Consonance Cyber 880i
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info: My son bought the amplifiers around 2014 and I bought them from him in 2017.  He upgraded (and again and again).  The pre-amplifier had the PCB replaced by JLS Electronics in Feb 2018 at a cost of $785.  The amps have been driving a pair of Polkaudio RTi-A7s.  Have the two remotes but no boxes.

RC-1550 Preamplifier
      Frequency Response: 4 Hz to 100 kHz (+0, -3dB)
      Phono Input: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
      IM Distortion @ 1V out
      Input Sensitivity and Impedance
      Phono (MM) 1.2mV/68k Ohms
      Line Level Inputs 150mV @24k Ohms
      Phono Overload (MC/MM) 70mV
      Output Sensitivity/Impedance 1V/100 Ohms
      Tone/Contour Controls
      Bass +3,+4dB at 100Hz
      Treble +3@ 10kHz in
      Signal to Noise Ratio (IHF "A")
      Phono (MC/MM) 70dB
      Line Level 95dB
      Dimensions: 17 x 4 x 13.5 (WxHxD inches)
      Shipping Weight 15.8 lbs.

RB-1552 Power Amplifier
      Power Output: 120 watts, two channels
      THD: < 0.03%
      IM Distortion: < 0.03%
      Damping Factor: 8 Ohms
      Input Sensitivity/Impedance 1.0V/ 33k Ohms
      Frequency Response:  4 Hz to 100 kHz
      S/N Ratio (IHF A): 120dB
      Dimensions: 17 x 5.25 x 13.4 (WxHxD in inches)
      Weight: 27 lbs

Pictures: