Sign in to follow this  
Cafad

Technical Brain TB-Zero/int Review

Damn it Terry!  I can get a decent level of clarity out of it but I can't replicate that soundstage that we heard at your place.  2D is OK but 3D is mostly absent and I'm not sure why.  It may be that I have too much gain, or at least that's the way it seems.  It's also possible that the room is just too small, but I don't like that possibility so I'm choosing not to give it much consideration.

IMG_1021.thumb.JPG.f53514cbc5df09d2daeb96a4709f36cf.JPG

I'm going to take a break from audio and do a little catching up on TV.  Maybe after that I'll be able to come up with something.

Interesting mate. As good as the Lenehan’s are they just might not be up to the sound staging that the Vienna’s have. 🤷‍♂️

The rooms do look vastly different as well, could be a massive contributor.

Cheers Dave 

I have encountered the problem of "my room seems to be too small for the sound stage to breath" a few times in the past.  That could be the case now as well, it's difficult to be sure.

I'm guessing Terry's room would be somewhere between two and two and a half times the volume of mine.  

I have an idea but it's getting late so I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

Interesting mate. As good as the Lenehan’s are they just might not be up to the sound staging that the Vienna’s have. 🤷‍♂️

The rooms do look vastly different as well, could be a massive contributor.

Cheers Dave 

I agree speakers can make a huge difference to sound stage. 

More than just speakers I think.  The Consonance Droplet puts out the usual 2.3V signal, I say usual as that is the usual for Consonance players, they don't use the line level standard of 2.0 volts.  So balanced outputs are 4.6, not 4.0.

That extra gain worked wonders for the Exposure 2010S2D at my place and made for an astounding sound stage at Terry's place but it isn't doing me any favors in my smaller room with the TB.

I improved things massively by shifting back to unbalanced inputs (via adaptors) between the Droplet and the TB but I've still only got about 70% of that 'astoundingness' level.  Now that's a pretty good sound stage but it isn't anywhere close to the sound stage through those Vienna Acoustics of Terry's' and, as I believe many of us have said once something has been heard it cannot be unheard and 70% isn't just a poor second place, it's more of a piss-poor 5th place (no medal, just a crappy ribbon for participation) and that isn't easy to live with when you now know what the amp is capable of.

I've been running the Sansui 907NRA for a bit to compare against and I found that it wasn't a fan of the balanced inputs either, it lost that relaxed feel that I love so much about it.  That's what convinced me I needed to shift back to unbalanced inputs.  

The TB is sounding very nice, that impressive clarity is there but there is also just a touch of hardness in the treble and I'm pretty sure it's gain related.  You'd think that could be fixed by reducing the volume on the droplet, but it seems not.

I think it's time to start fooling around with ICs again.

IMG_1023.thumb.JPG.618bf8c0133d4c3652c41f806086b5d2.JPG

Are you saying the same player, ic;s and  amp +Viennas at Terrys = amazing

and same player, ic's and amp + Lenny's at yours = so so?

8 minutes ago, frednork said:

Are you saying the same player, ic;s and  amp +Viennas at Terrys = amazing

and same player, ic's and amp + Lenny's at yours = so so?

Yep!

26 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Yep!

Then doesnt that rule out gain? You are left with speakers, speaker setup, speaker cables? room and yes I am going to "go there" power:blush:

3 minutes ago, frednork said:

Then doesnt that rule out gain? You are left with speakers, speaker setup, speaker cables? room and yes I am going to "go there" power:blush:

And out of all those I would guess that the speakers probably make the biggest difference. Perhaps Terry could throw the speakers in the back of a car and head to Cafad’s place. 

7 minutes ago, frednork said:

Not the way I hear it.  

Room is a big thing here, mine is less than half the size of Terry's so my listening position is much closer.  So in my lounge it sounds like there is too much gain.  The sound is solid and clear but a bit too fast and a bit too hard, particularly in the mid range.  By using the unbalanced in this effect decreases.  It seems like gain is the problem to me.

Or the speakers just don't like the TB, that's another possibility.

Another possibility is difference in the tubes.  Most tubes of the same brand & type can vary considerably in gain and conductance.  There could also be different brands or alternative tubes being used?  It appears the Droplet CDP5.0 uses Sovtek 6H30's as stock tubes.

45 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Not the way I hear it.  

Room is a big thing here, mine is less than half the size of Terry's so my listening position is much closer.  So in my lounge it sounds like there is too much gain.  The sound is solid and clear but a bit too fast and a bit too hard, particularly in the mid range.  By using the unbalanced in this effect decreases.  It seems like gain is the problem to me.

this is something I experienced when I had to give up my dedicated music room and move all my gear to the much larger lounge room... it was like a 200% improvement even though a non dedicated space... room makes a lot of difference. things like sound staging ... air... clarity and detail all took a step up...

quite possible a gain or speaker is match as well :)  only ways to know would be to take your speakers as well next time to terry :D  

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

only ways to know would be to take your speakers as well next time to terry :D  

Damn it, I knew i should have bought a bigger vehicle.

49 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Not the way I hear it.  

So when you say gain, what sort of gain? Is it from the room?

I don't really know, possibly caused by my sitting so much closer to the speakers than at Terry's.

23 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I don't really know, possibly caused by my sitting so much closer to the speakers than at Terry's.

Ok is the room very "live" sounding, ie a bit reverberant. Do you have any treatment at first reflection point? If you are getting a lot of sound reflecting off the walls that will usually tend to spoil image depth. If the room is smaller the reflection is closer in time to the original sound from the speakers and that will cause all sorts of problems, too much mid freq energy is one of them.

The reason why I am interested is I have been chasing image depth in my room.