Sub in middle of room not corner

HI Everyone. 

what do you think about a sub in the middle of the room. I can choose one corner but for my layout and for room asthetic im thinking in the middle of the room. What are the advantages/disadvantages. Its a downward firing klipsch sub. 

No particular disadvantage other than that it might not be the most effective spot for bass. Sub 100Hz region is opnon-directional anyway.

Oftentimes though a sub is best located under your bum, or so I was once told.

Would give it a go, do not see any disadvantages.

Corner loading subs or along a wall, to me is the cheap way of gaining a few dB, but loosing the realism of the bass and if crossed over higher up, risk it becoming "the noise from the corner/wall" or being able to localize it.

Enjoy trying it out.

• Like 1

Ok I think i may have found another location my problem is my home theatre room contains a glass sliding back door which enters into our alfresoc area. I could place the sub in the corner at the front but along one wall runs the glass sliding door could this cause a problem. It sprobably the best looking spot for it and it cleans the room up making it less cluttered. 

Its the klipsch one that comes with the synergy seaker set its downward firing i think it 10 or maybe 12 inch. At the moment is firing into carpet. Would I be better of fputting it on a wood base I have apane of glass Im guessing the glass wouldnt be the best. 

I've tried subs all over the room, including out in the middle.  For me the middle of the room was OK (not special) and I ended up with the subs elsewhere.  Every room is different so it's worth a try.  I was never able to get a reasonable response with front corner subs or subs near the mains.

The middle of the room happens to be the null point of the lengthways and the sideways modal frequencies.  A sub in this position (= energy pumped into a null) should not activate the mode and therefore those two modes probably won't be the primary-mode problem that a lot of people focus on.

It might be a null for those frequencies but will be a reinforcement for other frequencies, and nulls for others and reinforcement for others and everything in between ....

So positioning subs is not something that one can predict very well and is trial and error until one is happy with the result.  Its all about room dimensions and the position of the sub(s) and chair(s).  A sub on the wall behind the chair often works.  Measuring helps; well, some would say mandatory.  Then use EQ to lop off any peaks.

I like playing with the German Java app http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html which may! give some clues/ideas/starting points.  Then again it may be of no use whatsoever.  Hahaha.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bfhoon1 said:

Would I be better of fputting it on a wood base I have apane of glass Im guessing the glass wouldnt be the best. 

Carpet absorbs mid and high frequencies but not bass so no don't bother.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, aechmea said:

I like playing with the German Java app http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html which may! give some clues/ideas/starting points.  Then again it may be of no use whatsoever.  Hahaha.

This app is magic. Correctly identified 2 modal peaks at 45 and 80 Hz I've measured. Very useful without having to break the back moving the subs.

After over a decade of testing, one clear lesson is that no single position best fits all.

On 10/08/2018 at 8:40 PM, bfhoon1 said:

Midway along a wall its the best spot for it now is it going to be comprimised.....

Without testing the acoustic response of all the positions that are feasible, it's just not possible to give you a real answer.

• Like 1