Jake123

Am I using the right speaker cables? Just not hearing enough bass

Are people actually believing a power cable will improve sound? By what what technical advantage? Voltage drop?

This is the only plausible thing I can think of, but this is usually and commonly over about 1 metre of 1mm flex at 240v, which is ridiculous as this can safely (legally) supply about 13A at 240v or 3000w before exceeding safe insulation temps, not conductive capability. Voltage drop at 13A and 240v on a 1mm cable is about .7volt. Run 50 amps through it and you'd lose about 2.6v or 1.1%, and that's it. Still well under the Australian standard requirement of no more than 5% drop for a supply, which you'd have to have about 250A on a 1 meter length of 1mm cable to achieve.

1 minute ago, radstad said:

Are people actually believing a power cable will improve sound? By what what technical advantage? Voltage drop?

This is the only plausible thing I can think of, but this is usually and commonly over about 1 metre of 1mm flex at 240v, which is ridiculous as this can safely (legally) supply about 13A at 240v or 3000w before exceeding safe insulation temps, not conductive capability. Voltage drop at 13A and 240v on a 1mm cable is about .7volt. Run 50 amps through it and you'd lose about 2.6v or 1.1%, and that's it. Still well under the Australian standard requirement of no more than 5% drop for a supply, which you'd have to have about 250A on a 1 meter length of 1mm cable to achieve.

Yeah, I published some real-life figures awhile back. The actual Voltage drop DIFFERENCE is less than a handful of millivolts. 

Better to listen to hifi equipment in off peak times then when the local pole top transformer isn't loaded up by everyone in the street and you're getting the whole 240v rather than 235v 😂

8 hours ago, radstad said:

Better to listen to hifi equipment in off peak times then when the local pole top transformer isn't loaded up by everyone in the street and you're getting the whole 240v rather than 235v 😂

So @Zaphod Beeblebrox what are your thoughts on this?

This was a test I did in front of listening newbies. I mean, they were hired as marketing audio systems, but most of them have very rudimentary listening skills - which is not a bad thing - because that meant their listening apparatus were still fresh, and they don't have any pre-conceived prejudice about what they can or cannot biologically hear.

The test was:

While listening to a piece of music played through a HiFi system consisting a DVD player, an av receiver, and a pair of floor stand speakers, I drop a handkerchief over the power cords. 

They can hear the difference. 

Then I remove the handkerchief.

They hear the difference too.

I tried a piece of velvet over the power cords next.

They heard greater differences.

Different fabrics materials coming into contact with power cords which have current coursing through them can affect sound!

Why?

Edited by jeromelang

14 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

This was a test I did in front of listening newbies. I mean, they were hired as marketing audio systems, but most of them have very rudimentary listening skills - which is not a bad thing - because that meant their listening apparatus were still fresh, and they don't have any pre-conceived prejudice about what they can or cannot biologically hear.

The test was:

While listening to a piece of music played through a HiFi system consisting a DVD player, an av receiver, and a pair of floor stand speakers, I drop a handkerchief over the power cords. 

They can hear the difference. 

Then I remove the handkerchief.

They hear the difference too.

I tried a piece of velvet over the power cords next.

They heard greater differences.

Different fabrics materials coming into contact with power cords which have current coursing through them can affect sound!

Why?

If they saw you dropping the handkerchief then you probably taught them more about the impact of sight on hearing than the impact of fabrics on powercords

15 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I don't suffer fools, liars and cheats. At all. None of us should. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof. 

But how do you come to the conclusion that they are fools?

Maybe watch some Dr. Michael Shermer

he talks about 'why smart people believe stupid things.

Then you might find that the designation of 'fool' is not so accurate, and just ends up being inflammatory..

Edited by Muon N'

They could tell me the changes in imaging size and height with or without the handkerchief over the power cords.

Edited by jeromelang