Discrete R2R Mutibit Dac's from Asia Airist Audio

Last visited Monday 4.47am, so still active, well..... potentially anyway.

You should tell him to pop back in for a bit.

Very interested to see how these sound.

Those that wish to know how the discrete R2R Airist dac sounds, should send an email to him via Rage Audio, maybe hell pull his finger out and give a review of it.

Cheers George  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've not had much luck with TDA1543 either though the the TDA1541 S1 HHH and TDA1387 based DAC's I have both sound fantastic.  Neither are configured in NOS mode though.

Every TDA1543 DAC I've had has either failed or developed hum and static issues. They also seem to lack fine micro detail and are rolled off at the top and bottom.

I believe the TDA1541 is 4x oversampling unless configured for NOS? Either way, a big fan of TDA1541 and TDA1387.

Edited by MattyW

7 hours ago, Nigel said:

Does anyone have a bad word for R2R dacs ? 

Yes, they tend to have higher distortion than chip dacs. This one does. And it has effectively 10.5 bit resolution, as opposed to 18 bit or more on other DACs. But, you may like the sound of it, so that's all that matters. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-soekris-dac1421-multibit-dac.3956/

I've not had much luck with TDA1543 either though the the TDA1541 S1 HHH and TDA1387 based DAC's I have both sound fantastic.  Neither are configured in NOS mode though.

Every TDA1543 DAC I've had has either failed or developed hum and static issues. They also seem to lack fine micro detail and are rolled off at the top and bottom.

I believe the TDA1541 is 4x oversampling unless configured for NOS? Either way, a big fan of TDA1541 and TDA1387.

have you heard any AD1865 dacs?

here’s a cheap one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273617232036

No, my interest has only been in the Philips TDA series to date.  I was able to compare one of the venerable Lenehan PDX DAC's with my upgraded Muji recently. No comparison,  the Muji killed it in every way once the music starts (it has low level hum audible when nothing is playing.... 97db efficient speakers)

Wider and deeper sound stage,  better dynamics,  presence that places you right there in the studio. Just spectacular. 

In fairness though my Muji has had the TDA1541A R1 replaced with TDA1541 S1, and the 4x NE5532 replaced with 2x Burson V5i-D and 2x Burson V6-D Vivid OPAMPS. Donald Tan has also gone over it and fixed any soldering issues as well as converted from 110v to 240V. Likewise the Lenehan PDX had Audyn True Copper caps on the output. No doubt it could be updated with new better caps though I've yet to do that with the Muji.  It has some rather pedestrian caps in there presently.

Still the difference was so large that it was possible to identify what was better in under a minute.