Change of Direction - Tube Mono Blocks

Hi All,

I've been thinking about a change in direction from SS to tubes. I have some lovely sounding Sansui SS gear but would like to get into Tubes. I have found the love of listening to vintage English speaker, Rogers, Spendor, IMF, Kef etc. 

What Tube amps would be a good match for my speakers? What brands - models would suit etc? Been looking at Luxman, Sansui, Quad. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Sansui77

Good move ...I’ve had quite a few of those vintage solid state amps from Sansui, Lux, Marantz, Accuphase and others and while quite nice if you need the high power output, almost all of them do not keep up with a ‘good’ valve amp for sweetness and musicality. Especially on the type of loudspeakers you mention which are good at giving an emotional response.

If you want to dip your toes in the valve amp world, try any of the good s/h $500-$1500 Chinese amps out there ...good ones like Mingda, Cayin, Audiospace, Consonance, Line Magnetic and the like. I would look out for push-pull designs that are rated 30-50w/ch and above, they will drive the speakers you mention.

Steve.

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10 August 2018 at 10:47 AM, Steve M said:

Good move ...I’ve had quite a few of those vintage solid state amps from Sansui, Lux, Marantz, Accuphase and others and while quite nice if you need the high power output, almost all of them do not keep up with a ‘good’ valve amp for sweetness and musicality. Especially on the type of loudspeakers you mention which are good at giving an emotional response.

If you want to dip your toes in the valve amp world, try any of the good s/h $500-$1500 Chinese amps out there ...good ones like Mingda, Cayin, Audiospace, Consonance, Line Magnetic and the like. I would look out for push-pull designs that are rated 30-50w/ch and above, they will drive the speakers you mention.

Steve.

Have to agree here. Go for a bigger push-pull to get that 40W plus to drive some of those less eficient speakers. Your problem will be (if you listen to rock/pop up loud ) you won't get the volume and grunt you have been use to. 

My speakers are 100db and 92db efficient and only require a few watts. I like SE UL tube amps but not good for low effcient current hungry speakers. 

• Like 1

I think this kit, assembled or otherwise, is fantastic value. With a full set of KT150s it is a serious rival for amps costing many times the price of this one. Though alas not monoblocks, just dual mono.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/japanese-elekit-tu-8340vk-integrated-tube-amplifier-kit-or-assembled.html

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

I think this kit, assembled or otherwise, is fantastic value. With a full set of KT150s it is a serious rival for amps costing many times the price of this one. Though alas not monoblocks, just dual mono.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/japanese-elekit-tu-8340vk-integrated-tube-amplifier-kit-or-assembled.html

If shipping is not crazy expensive as it can be this would be a great way to go. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all your recommendations. I must of been a bit more clearer in what i'm after. I'm wanting something that's secondhand, from the used market.

What brands - models around the 2 - 3K mark would get me something nice sounding and around the 40+(W) a side to drive my speakers?

I'm still thinking of importing a Sansui AU-111 which i still might go this avenue.

Edited by Sansui77

1 minute ago, Sansui77 said:

Thanks for all your recommendations. I must of been a bit more clearer, what i'm wanting is something that's secondhand, from the used market.

What brands - models around the 2 - 3K mark would get me something nice sounding and around the 40+(W) a side to drive my speakers?

Well it's not second hand, but the Elekit I showed still fits right into that price category and power.

1 minute ago, Sansui77 said:

Thanks for all your recommendations. I must of been a bit more clearer, what i'm wanting is something that's secondhand, from the used market.

I really want is a Sansui AU-111 which i still might go this avenue.

Going down the retro path you will pay a premium for a working Sansui AU-111.If thats what you want start searching .Stump

• Like 1

On 15/08/2018 at 12:35 PM, Stump said:

Going down the retro path you will pay a premium for a working Sansui AU-111.If thats what you want start searching .Stump

You never know. Well maybe it has just happened ??

• Like 3

On 10/08/2018 at 10:10 AM, Sansui77 said:

I've been thinking about a change in direction from SS to tubes. I have some lovely sounding Sansui SS gear but would like to get into Tubes. I have found the love of listening to vintage English speaker, Rogers, Spendor, IMF, Kef etc. 

What?  No, say it ain't so!

On 15/08/2018 at 12:28 PM, Sansui77 said:

I'm still thinking of importing a Sansui AU-111 which i still might go this avenue.

Thank Hendrix for that, you had us worried there for a second.

6 hours ago, Sansui77 said:

You never know. Well maybe it has just happened ??

And all is right with the world once more.  Crisis averted.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...