Accuphase DAC-50 add on card

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a listen to or owns one of these Accuphase DAC-50. It uses the same DAC chipset as the DC-37 and DP-430 and looks to have the same MDS converter configuration as the DP-430.

http://www.accuphase.com/model/dac-50.html

Theres not to much out there in the way of reviews and I was wondering if someone has heard it in action.

Cheers

Hi Lurka,

I have had the dac 50 for a year or so now, I also own the dac40 too.

They are both great dacs with similar sonic traits.

Dac-50 does dsd but the dac-40 does not.

I run optical from my tv and USB from my custom passive server into the dac-50, it sounds great and works flawlessly with all sample rates.

What integrated / pre are you running mate?

I recommend buying direct from Japan to save approx 50% on local pricing.

cheers 

Liam

Hi Liam

Thanks for the reply. I am running an E-470 and a Mac mini via USB would be feeding the DAC. Have you heard the DP-430 CD and able to offer a comparison of the two. 

Cheers

Paul

9 hours ago, Conch said:

I recommend buying direct from Japan to save approx 50% on local pricing.

The only issue with bypassing local importer is you might not be able to get parts. 

I still don’t understand why the importer hasn’t tweaked to the fact so many people are sourcing their gear from Japan. Doubling the price with a more global market makes little sense anymore. 

12 hours ago, AlurkA said:

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a listen to or owns one of these Accuphase DAC-50. It uses the same DAC chipset as the DC-37 and DP-430 and looks to have the same MDS converter configuration as the DP-430.

DC-37 uses a different chip (Sabre). I think for all their current digital products, Accuphase use Sabre on higher end models and AKM for the entry level.

2 hours ago, AlurkA said:

Hi Liam

Thanks for the reply. I am running an E-470 and a Mac mini via USB would be feeding the DAC. Have you heard the DP-430 CD and able to offer a comparison of the two. 

Cheers

Paul

HI Paul,

I have the E-470 as well, bloody incredible amp!

I have not heard the DP-430 player unfortunately, I have heard several other Accuphase disc players.

They are all outstanding IMO, only thing is I dont play discs so not on my radar.

I guess it comes down to how much you play cd's?

Cheers

Liam

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PKay said:

The only issue with bypassing local importer is you might not be able to get parts. 

I still don’t understand why the importer hasn’t tweaked to the fact so many people are sourcing their gear from Japan. Doubling the price with a more global market makes little sense anymore. 

Not really an issue with Accuphase as they are super reliable. The dealer actually recommended that I purchase the option card from Japan directly when I requested a quote ?

11 minutes ago, Conch said:

HI Paul,

I have the E-470 as well, bloody incredible amp!

I have not heard the DP-430 player unfortunately, I have heard several other Accuphase disc players.

They are all outstanding IMO, only thing is I dont play discs so not on my radar.

I guess it comes down to how much you play cd's?

Cheers

Liam

Yeh, I am loving it to, pairs well with my Dyns.

3 minutes ago, Conch said:

Not really an issue with Accuphase as they are super reliable. The dealer actually recommended that I purchase the option card from Japan directly when I requested a quote ?

Yeh, I have a mate in Japan who can possibly organise one.  Still tossing up whether I go with the DAC-50 or hold out for a separate ?

I've heard the DAC-50 and it is impressive. I've also listened to the DC-37 extensively. I compared the DP-430 (same AKM chip as DAC-50) and the DP-560 (Sabre chip like the DC-37 but one chip only) in my system before committing to the DP-560. There really isn't much in it at this level so as @Conch says unless you play CDs (or SACDs) you may as well go for the DAC-50. All do DSD and high rate PCM exceptionally well. DSD however really shines.

Having said that, comparing my DP-560 spinning SACDs to my sMS-200 Ultra into the DP-560 DAC I much prefer listening to discs. There's just something more natural and less digital about discs. So much so that I rarely play the sMS-200 anymore!

How about the new DP-750. That's really the one to aim for if you have the cash. ?

• Like 1

Haha @a.dentDP-750 it is then.... thanks heaps. I currently have a PS Audio Direct Stream Junior which I am quite happy with sound wise. But now I have ventured down the Accuphase path was looking at pairing my Accuphase integrated with an Accuphase DAC or DAC/Transport. The price of the DAC-50 is much easier to swallow when compared to to the standalone gear.  Was wondering how much of a compromise it may be. 

Not exactly addressing the OP’s question, but this thread piqued my interest in doing a similar comparison. I thought the results might be of interest to others. 

Source: Accuphase DP560

Alternate DACs: DAC30 (fed by coax spdif), DP560 (single ended analogue out via included Accuphase interconnects), DC801 (via HS-link, with output via balanced Cardas golden cross)

Each feeding into Accuphase E560 - Cardas golden cross biwire - proac response D38s

Perhaps unsurprisingly, each step up in (original) price yielded improvements in sound quality - mostly in terms of transparency and noise floor, but also with (consequent?) improvements in tone, soundstaging, attack and decay. Not that the differences were earth-shattering - I could live with any of them. 

I also suspect that the quality of the transport may be a limiting factor - the DP560 as a transport sounds much better than my largely unmodified Mac mini (SSD, 16GB ram, Audirvana+, Weiss Minerva FireWire to spdif conversion), particularly in the upper registers. I suspect the differences I heard in the comparison using the DP560 as a transport would be much less if I used my Mac. 

Hi @Weissman  Thanks for the information. This is the kind of information I am after. I am considering the DAC-50 in the short term. Have also been told the DP-430 is an excellent source. CD and DAC. I don’t do a lot of listening to discs and am thinking ultimately the DC-37 is the end game for me. The DP-560 has SACD support but I have none of these but am sure it’s DAC capabilities are also up there. Offers more flexibility than a pure DAC. 

I’m glad it was useful. Over the next couple of days, I’ll try to do a comparison of the DAC30 and the dac section of the DP560 by feeding both with my Mac. Would that be helpful? I figure it might give you a reference point for how much a compromise using the DAC50 will be while you use a Mac as source. 

9 hours ago, Weissman said:

I’m glad it was useful. Over the next couple of days, I’ll try to do a comparison of the DAC30 and the dac section of the DP560 by feeding both with my Mac. Would that be helpful? I figure it might give you a reference point for how much a compromise using the DAC50 will be while you use a Mac as source. 

That would be fantastic, thanks heaps.

Hi. I spent a bit of time on Sunday comparing the DAC30 and the dac section of the DP560 with my Mac mini as source. I used a generic USB cable and Audirvana+ playing the tunes. 

Short answer is that I could clearly hear the difference between the two which I wasn’t really expecting - I thought the Mac might been too much of a limiting factor. 

They both sounded good, but there was a noticeable flattening of the soundstage, less extension in the highs and a bit less definition in the lows with the DAC30. Still enjoyable, and I would probably be happy if I wasn’t able to compare it to a better dac, but there was definitely a notable difference. 

@Weissman Thanks for taking the time out to do this...gotta luv this community.  You'd kinda hope there would be a difference given you are comparing a $1000 component to a far more expensive one.  I am running my previous DAC, Cambridge 851D at the moment as my Direct Stream Junior is off to get its bridge replaced. Its been a similar experience for me.  The 851D is pretty good but the DSJ has a better sound stage, a touch more detail in the highs, Vocals are sweeter and bass is more controlled and detailed.  Immediately after swapping them over I didn't really notice the differences as much as I do a day later listening funnily enough.

Like you I run a mac mini, Media Centre 24 (instead of Audirvana) via a Curious USB is used to my DAC.  From here XLR to an E-470 out to my Dyns.  I am a fan of using a computer based source but the lure of SACD and original discs is drawing me to the DP-430 and DP-560 as I get the best of both worlds.  Decisions Decisions.

• Like 1

One thing to consider if you end up going the disc player route is that the DP560 will plat data discs (ie DVD-Rs with dsd or pcm data files on them), meaning you could burn hi-res downloads to disc and play them. I don’t think the DP430 can. 

I haven’t tried this myself yet but but it was one of the key reasons I went for the DP560 as I expect it will become more difficult over time to buy high res on physical media. 

I don’t envy your choice though. It’s hard to weigh up a number of different factors with little or no chance to audition the components 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2018 at 5:54 PM, AlurkA said:

@Weissman Thanks for taking the time out to do this...gotta luv this community.  You'd kinda hope there would be a difference given you are comparing a $1000 component to a far more expensive one.  I am running my previous DAC, Cambridge 851D at the moment as my Direct Stream Junior is off to get its bridge replaced. Its been a similar experience for me.  The 851D is pretty good but the DSJ has a better sound stage, a touch more detail in the highs, Vocals are sweeter and bass is more controlled and detailed.  Immediately after swapping them over I didn't really notice the differences as much as I do a day later listening funnily enough.

Like you I run a mac mini, Media Centre 24 (instead of Audirvana) via a Curious USB is used to my DAC.  From here XLR to an E-470 out to my Dyns.  I am a fan of using a computer based source but the lure of SACD and original discs is drawing me to the DP-430 and DP-560 as I get the best of both worlds.  Decisions Decisions.

If you're serious about buying a DP-560 I'm seriously considering trading mine to upgrade to a DP-750. Not that I'm unhappy with the DP-560 but I have a C-2850 so the DP-750 would match better aesthetically with the same Persimmon cover.

Maybe we could work out a mutually agreeable price on a barely run in DP-560.