AlurkA

Accuphase DAC-50 add on card

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a listen to or owns one of these Accuphase DAC-50. It uses the same DAC chipset as the DC-37 and DP-430 and looks to have the same MDS converter configuration as the DP-430.

http://www.accuphase.com/model/dac-50.html

Theres not to much out there in the way of reviews and I was wondering if someone has heard it in action.

Cheers

Hi Lurka,

I have had the dac 50 for a year or so now, I also own the dac40 too.

They are both great dacs with similar sonic traits.

Dac-50 does dsd but the dac-40 does not.

I run optical from my tv and USB from my custom passive server into the dac-50, it sounds great and works flawlessly with all sample rates.

What integrated / pre are you running mate?

I recommend buying direct from Japan to save approx 50% on local pricing.

cheers 

Liam

Hi Liam

Thanks for the reply. I am running an E-470 and a Mac mini via USB would be feeding the DAC. Have you heard the DP-430 CD and able to offer a comparison of the two. 

Cheers

Paul

9 hours ago, Conch said:

I recommend buying direct from Japan to save approx 50% on local pricing.

The only issue with bypassing local importer is you might not be able to get parts. 

I still don’t understand why the importer hasn’t tweaked to the fact so many people are sourcing their gear from Japan. Doubling the price with a more global market makes little sense anymore. 

12 hours ago, AlurkA said:

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a listen to or owns one of these Accuphase DAC-50. It uses the same DAC chipset as the DC-37 and DP-430 and looks to have the same MDS converter configuration as the DP-430.

DC-37 uses a different chip (Sabre). I think for all their current digital products, Accuphase use Sabre on higher end models and AKM for the entry level.

2 hours ago, AlurkA said:

Hi Liam

Thanks for the reply. I am running an E-470 and a Mac mini via USB would be feeding the DAC. Have you heard the DP-430 CD and able to offer a comparison of the two. 

Cheers

Paul

HI Paul,

I have the E-470 as well, bloody incredible amp!

I have not heard the DP-430 player unfortunately, I have heard several other Accuphase disc players.

They are all outstanding IMO, only thing is I dont play discs so not on my radar.

I guess it comes down to how much you play cd's?

Cheers

Liam

1 hour ago, PKay said:

The only issue with bypassing local importer is you might not be able to get parts. 

I still don’t understand why the importer hasn’t tweaked to the fact so many people are sourcing their gear from Japan. Doubling the price with a more global market makes little sense anymore. 

Not really an issue with Accuphase as they are super reliable. The dealer actually recommended that I purchase the option card from Japan directly when I requested a quote 🙄

11 minutes ago, Conch said:

HI Paul,

I have the E-470 as well, bloody incredible amp!

I have not heard the DP-430 player unfortunately, I have heard several other Accuphase disc players.

They are all outstanding IMO, only thing is I dont play discs so not on my radar.

I guess it comes down to how much you play cd's?

Cheers

Liam

Yeh, I am loving it to, pairs well with my Dyns.

3 minutes ago, Conch said:

Not really an issue with Accuphase as they are super reliable. The dealer actually recommended that I purchase the option card from Japan directly when I requested a quote 🙄

Yeh, I have a mate in Japan who can possibly organise one.  Still tossing up whether I go with the DAC-50 or hold out for a separate 🙂

I've heard the DAC-50 and it is impressive. I've also listened to the DC-37 extensively. I compared the DP-430 (same AKM chip as DAC-50) and the DP-560 (Sabre chip like the DC-37 but one chip only) in my system before committing to the DP-560. There really isn't much in it at this level so as @Conch says unless you play CDs (or SACDs) you may as well go for the DAC-50. All do DSD and high rate PCM exceptionally well. DSD however really shines.

Having said that, comparing my DP-560 spinning SACDs to my sMS-200 Ultra into the DP-560 DAC I much prefer listening to discs. There's just something more natural and less digital about discs. So much so that I rarely play the sMS-200 anymore!

How about the new DP-750. That's really the one to aim for if you have the cash. 😎