Driver question!

Fellas, can anyone tell me what the story is here with these drivers? These are a brand new set of new old stock mission freedom5 speakers, never been opened until today..

Took them out and set them up, the phase plug and cone arrangement looks strange? The cone excursion is around the phase plug not with it, that make sense?

I've never actually seen a driver like it..?

P.s the crackling around the cone is for effect, they all have it.

Cheers!

IMG_20180808_211747.jpg

MVIMG_20180808_210757.jpg

Edited by b@ndicoot

3 minutes ago, b@ndicoot said:

Fellas, can anyone tell me what the story is here with these drivers? These are a brand new set of new old stock mission freedom5 speakers, never been opened until today..

Took them out and set them up, the phase plug and cone arrangement looks strange? The cone excursion is around the phase plug not with it, that make sense?

Yes, that is a common driver design.

Plus a gentle push on the cone if not square reveals a slight scratching sound, like it touches if the excursion isn't square?

This is normal for all speakers.

Really strange driver, wondering if these sitting in the boxes for 20 years unopened has possibly buggered them?

What you have described so far isn't necessarily a concern.

... but the visual impression of the driver (cone) isn't good.   It looks stuffed.

The VC rubbing that you are describing with the "push on the cone not square = scratching" could have been made worse my any poor storage.

Hi Dave, mate thanks for the reply, I am glad that these are somewhat normal!

As for the cone, if you do a quick google search on the speaker (mission 754F) you will notice they all have this crackling bizzo around the cone? Not sure what that was all about!? 

As far as storage they were stoop upright and never opened, still had all the foam and packing in place so not sure there..

Anyway thanks for taking the time once again!

Tony

The cracking is a common issue on the Audax Aerogel drivers.

re: the phase plug not moving... that's how it's supposed to be. Cheap drivers often have a phase plug moulded into the actual woofer cone itself - this isn't the right way to do it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

The cracking is a common issue on the Audax Aerogel drivers.

re: the phase plug not moving... that's how it's supposed to be. Cheap drivers often have a phase plug moulded into the actual woofer cone itself - this isn't the right way to do it.

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply.. I believe this "broken glass" look was intended..?

All the drivers look the same in new and old pics..

Great, speaker still sounds good no issue there, just thought I'd check in!

Regards,

Tony

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply.. I believe this "broken glass" look was intended..?
Regards,

Tony

At 20 years old perhaps it’s a “stone wash denim” look? :)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, b@ndicoot said:

Regards,

Tony

It seems to be the case!

A number of Mission speakers used the Aerogel drivers eg.

IMG_6436.JPG

I'm *fairly* sure that the Aerogel drivers are reliable.

The Keraform drivers used on some Missions are a different story... they had massive failure rates due to the speaker construction adhesive corroding the voice coil wiring. These were replaced in large numbers by Mission under warranty AFAIK.

25 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

It seems to be the case!

A number of Mission speakers used the Aerogel drivers eg.

IMG_6436.JPG

I'm *fairly* sure that the Aerogel drivers are reliable.

The Keraform drivers used on some Missions are a different story... they had massive failure rates due to the speaker construction adhesive corroding the voice coil wiring. These were replaced in large numbers by Mission under warranty AFAIK.

Thanks again Pete for the detailed response!

Tony.

Definitely an Audax driver, unsure on the Aerogel though - Audax did various drivers in their upper lines that used the cast basket/reverse rubber surround similar to this one. Some were coated paper, some Aerogel etc. I have had various Aerogel drivers, none of them had this effect, so it looks to have been unique to the ones manufactured for Mission.

Audax made nice gear.

Cheers,

Matt.

Edit: a quick Google search show the cones are in fact Aerogel...

Edited by Sub Sonic

On 09/08/2018 at 4:38 PM, Sub Sonic said:

Definitely an Audax driver, unsure on the Aerogel though - Audax did various drivers in their upper lines that used the cast basket/reverse rubber surround similar to this one. Some were coated paper, some Aerogel etc. I have had various Aerogel drivers, none of them had this effect, so it looks to have been unique to the ones manufactured for Mission.

Audax made nice gear.

Cheers,

Matt.

Edit: a quick Google search show the cones are in fact Aerogel...

Thanks Matt, yeah confirmed from Audax that these are indeed a Mission specific finish..

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1