agelessgoodguy

Recent close calls !!!!!!!

OK to start the ball rollling and the inspiration for the topic here's my entry...

My work place is in an L shaped court OK? So I'm about to do the left hand turn into the last part of the court at about 45 kph, now its raining and for me known to take this at a full 60kph and with cars parked fully around the bend, I suddenly and very unexpectedly confronted by a Golf driver taking a short cut acorss the right angled corner, A dead set head on looked likely as, Antiskid brakes on both meant that we stopped about 1.5M apart, then with an apologetic wave they swung around me still shaking my head In disbelief at that what had just happened. Thankfully those S4's grip just as well in the wet when called upon.

Now its your turn...

Queen and Bourke st intersection. 

I’m heading south down queen and the lights go red so I stop at the intersection. 

I’m in the left lane and there’s a truck stopped next to me in the right lane. 

The light goes green and I’m about to take off when something tells me to wait - the truck hasn’t moved. 

Then, barreling through the red light heading east down Bourke st, a car goes through the red light doing well over 60 clicks. 

Would have completely T boned me if I hadn’t noticed the truck not moving. 

Left lane centenary highway I'm in the left lane and there is a fair amount of traffic, a white van in the on-ramp merge lane is around 2 car lengths back to the left and the lane is starting to narrow at It's end, the van is still speeding up to get in front of me to merge.

I had to brake heavily to avoid clipping his right rear corner even after lifting my foot off the accelerator, if I had of clipped him he would have spun across the busy highway at around 90kph.

Not sure what's wrong with these type of drivers.

Here's one reason I moved to Adelaide from a land of winter snow:

There has been freezing rain in the last few hours and the roads are TREACHEROUS. On the way home from work I apply the brakes very lightly on a slight downhill grade with the traffic signals about half-way down. The wheels lock and begin their ice-skate impersonation--I'm actually speeding up!

As I slide up to the intersection the lights turn red and a semi toodles on through in front of me.

I slid right through the red light and missed him by no more than half a metre.😬

Ok another one, I'm out on a country road behind Benalla drinving then A Nissan Nomad works car, at 100 kph or so I see a man standing in amongst some trees as a fuel tanker comes towards me, as we pass there's an almightly bang and blue flash, then I cannot see out properly, slam on the brakes and stop. Obviously the windscreens gone BUT sticking out of the dashboard & through the broken windscreen and ringht in front of me is a steel spike with hose attached.

The bloke was in the process of putting a traffic counter on the road, he hadn't got the spike into the road side in time, so the speeding semi fuel tanker sucked it up but because the other end was tethered to the trees it looped around and stabbed into my van. Scary let me tell you, Benalla council paid for the new screen and dash repair, the bloke took the rest of the day off, I cleaned my undies.

Edited by agelessgoodguy

On 10/08/2018 at 4:39 PM, 007 said:

In the video it looks slow but I can tell you, that trucky was at least @ 60kmh

https://youtu.be/_sQxl0UHBn4

more importantly did you notice the mobile phone in his left hand as he slides past you? Then puts it down as he straightens up, show the cops....

You know what guys, 

ive been through just about every situation known for a fatality.   Drive like you have eyes around your head.  Be prepared and don’t have that stupid attitude “I have right of way”.   < this will always end up something serious.  Be prepared to give way regardless of you have the “right of way”.  However you can only do so much!   I’ve driven a Mondeo Station Wagon and have had about 12-15 accidents in the last 7 yrs!  Only once was it my fault where I had to pay the excess and I was even in the car driving it,  I was in training in Sydney when I received a call from the boss saying she failed to see the vehicle coming and therefore failed to give way!   I’ve been T- boned becuase someone didn’t see the stop sign and I could see or detect them as they were in my blind spot.  The new Commadore was a right off!   I’ve had an accident and o wasn’t even in the vehicle!  luckily these window mantenance guys rushed in demanding to see the driver of the Mondeo!   I’ve had a semi rear end me into the other side of the intersection, the Truckie swears he didn’t see me stopped giving way to the right!  Last month I’ve been rear ended while giving way at a round about!  

When the lights turned green for you to go, check to make sure all the vehicles in the cross roads facing a red light have all stopped before you enter the intersection, it will save your life! 

@Addicted to music you'll recognise the roundabout here. In these lovely afternoon conditions I was forward of where the red car is in the photo, travelling at 50kmh when a car pulled out from the give way where you can see the two vehicles in front of the fast food outlet. I had just enough time to say "Hold On" while slamming the brakes to the floor, and we T-boned the vehicle just where the engine bay meets the driver's door. For whatever reason, the driver never saw us.

2015 02 Pt Cook collision.jpg

@ThirdDrawerDown

yes, i use that everyday to get off the freeway onto the Base.  That whole area is super dangerous.  Where that white car is in your pic its facing a giveaway sign and its the off ramp of the freeway.  Notice its caters for 2 lanes.  People fly though that intersection, me included, they don't see whats turning in that roundabout behind that red vehicle in your pic so they initially look right and see that its all clear! look left and its all clear, look right again that red vehicle that came out of no where suddenly appears because of the round about behind it!.   and if they take off then, they get collected!  for those that don't know the area; the area on the right of that vehicle on the right is a round about, then further behind around 20mtrs theres another round about for Point Cook RD.  See how dangerous it is!  The boss was waiting there on Point Cook RD for the car infront to make its move!  A motor bike misjudged the 2nd roundabout and lost it crashing into the right passenger side door of the Camry!  Bikers go flying there only to misjudge the bend of the 2nd roundabout!  I've seen so many collusions there its not funny!  when you live in Point Cook, you welcome the use of roundabouts!