Kii Three / Dutch & Dutch 8c audition in Perth

I like the side firing drivers (and individual amps) approach for Kii much better ....   but I like the larger smoother waveguide on the Dutch much better.

Having direct and individual control over each driver in the Kii, allows it to radiate in a cardioid pattern in the upper bass / lower mids  (cancelling sound radiating behind the speaker) .... but then at much lower frequencies (eg <100Hz), the phase of each driver can be bent so that rather than cancelling at the rear that ALL the woofers are playing together making more bass for less movement.

On the 8C, the big smooth waveguide is going to help the sound immensely... .I've always wondered why on Brunos speakers (Grimm and Kii) they used the Seas DXT tweeter ... it's OK, but the waveguide (horn) is not smooth or big enough.

I am (have for a long while) been working on my own version of such a speaker (an active cardioid)...  it started off as simple looking as a 2-way sat + collocated subwoofer (with active phase control on the sub) and went through an incarnation as a dipole/cardiod combination (but it's impractical size) ..... my problem with 'aping' the Kii, is getting so many amplifiers and electronics into such a small space.    It requires custom electronic design - and I'm no guru there  (and gurus are expensive).....  which means its back to a "big ol box of many amps and stuff" ... which is not what punters want.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda defies "audiophile sensibilities" doesn't it, that such dirt cheap (*ahem* I mean inexpensive) drivers and amplifiers can consistently pull such rave reviews.

LOVE IT x10

... and I mean, when I say inexpensive, that's what *I* could buy the drivers for (and what I estimate the amps cost, as they are unlikely to be off the shelf - but there are plenty of clues).   Buying in bulk would make it go right down.

Would you use a < $20 driver in your next speaker?    Now people may start to understand why the "it's all about what you do with it" comments get thrown down so often  ;)  

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

• 10 months later...

Interesting thread... I haven’t heard the 8c’s yet but I have heard the kii’s a few times and can’t work out what all the fuss is about. Each time I’ve walked away thinking they are missing bottom end, sound a little brittle and the sound stage isn’t all that good. I’m keen to see how the 8c’s go primarily due to the bigger drivers, REW integration and reviews suggesting they have more heft. I’ve got a set coming and will either report back with positive feedback or you’ll see them for sale. ;) 

Edited by Jhsg
  • Like 3