6sn7 rca grey glass (vt 231) pull the trigger?

hello all to the brains trust

wasn't sure weather to latch onto another thread or not.

These are for sale just a couple of suburbs across from me. from memory I'm sure I heard that these are supposed to be quite good valves.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/guildford/other-audio/4-rca-jan-crc-6sn7-gt-vt-231-tubes/1190656961

They would currently be going into a Cary AE3 tube pre-amp and just wanted some thoughts and advice, sound signature anything else that might help the purchase.

only concern is how many hours they would have on them which i am going to ask as soon as i finish this post.

Thank you again glorious overlords, I am in your debt!

Mike.

Guest deanB

They are a bit towards the voluptuous side of the 6SN7 spectrum. Personally, I love that sound signature. Lush, warm, meaty, full bodied etc etc. Had a pair in a preamp for years, no issues with microphonics either.

I vote go for it.

33 minutes ago, deanB said:

They are a bit towards the voluptuous side of the 6SN7 spectrum. Personally, I love that sound signature. Lush, warm, meaty, full bodied etc etc. Had a pair in a preamp for years, no issues with microphonics either.

I vote go for it.

cheers thanks for that,

As far tubes go how was the detail?

I to am a fan of nice warm lush sound but not to much, but really just want to try some different tubes. they might end up soldered into place! ? and i assume i could resell at a reasonable price if needed.

I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger. and only after one response!!

Guest deanB

I fell in love with the tone so I never critiqued the pro's and cons of the RCA's, I just enjoyed the overall presentation. The midrange is magic with these.

Hi Mike ,

The seller is on the money regarding price and as deanb mentioned these have a wonderful midrange and the top end is as smooth as butter , don't expect punchy bass.

Detail is fine and these tubes have a history of low noise/microphonics.

Zero listener fatigue is guaranteed.

• 7 months later...
Guest crankit

Hi Mike

By chance I stumbled upon this chat, I was the guy that sold you these tubes way back when

So while I'm here may ask how the VT-231's are going? just curious

Dale from Guildford

14 hours ago, crankit said:

Hi Mike

By chance I stumbled upon this chat, I was the guy that sold you these tubes way back when

So while I'm here may ask how the VT-231's are going? just curious

Dale from Guildford

G'day Dale, How are you?

I'm doing well and so are the tubes, they (well, one pair) are happily humming (not literally) along in my system, it still consists of the same components being the cary ae3 and sansui b2101. They really are very nice sounding tubes with a meaty voluptuousness to their signature, I was initially hesitant and thought it may be to much, but now I'm loving them. I've considered with maybe trying them in a different pre but to costly for me unfortunately. I nearly sold a pair a while back but only because a gentleman offered but nothing eventuated. 

So what brings you to stereo.net? from memory you were selling up some or all of your gear? been bitten by the bug again?

Good to hear from you again Dale. and cheers for the bump TerryO!

Mike.

[EDIT] ah, I see your selling some gear, I'll have a quick squiz, i need to go second hand to afford anything. good luck with it.

Edited by MIKE.D79

Guest crankit

Good to hear Mike

2 x Ken-Rad VT-231 and 2 x RCA VT-231(again) on the way, damn bug

Have been selling surplus Russian true Mil spec 6sn7 tubes to finance

although got the above mentioned at very good price with strong measurements so snapped them up

I have a Shiit Freya preamp, takes 4 6sn7 tubes (2 gain, 2 output) so the nice tubes go into the gain stage driving class D mono's or class A tube or SS amps

Liking both class amps although different beasts, I find the Ruskies unbeatable driving the class D's 

I may part with another lot of 4 or 2 of the Russian tubes NIB, overall they are well balanced and clean sounding IMO, take a squiz at the old listing only if you're interested

Anyway good to touch base Mike and that the RCA's are going strong in your Cary

Dale

Edited by crankit