Also new from Perth...Preamp Qn re Stax CAX-Pro

Howdy folks

Glad to finally join. And yes I'm from Perth and...I can be a bit shy.

Had a question to ask. I have the following system:

Speakers: Wilson WP8

Amp: Bryston 4B Cubed

Pre Amp: Stax CAX-Pro

CD: Bryston BDP-1

T/T: Rega RP 10

FM Tuner Eumig T-1000

Cables and interconnects from Gary Cawsey (Awesome gear) 

My question is, have preamps improved much over the last decade or two? Whilst I love my Stax preamp I'm not sure if I don't know what I don't know. Am I deluded in thinking this amp is the bees knees or are there other Stax Preamp owners that would say there are fare better preamps than the Stax Cax- Pro

Cheers

Hi Arthur, I have not heard the Stax pre although I did have the mono power amps for a while.Given it's age a good refresh by a properly qualified technician is possibly in order.

Mike at Liquid audio in Perth does a lot of restoration work on quality older equipment. His website is very informative ,with lots of case studies of his restoration work. Mike is great to have a chat with  and a real engineer rather than just a 'parts swaper'. He seems to be very honest and an enthusiast himself.

http://liquidaudio.com.au/

Edited by Ozcall

welcome Arthur, if your happy with the sound then maybe as@Ozcall says a service may be in order, if you don't know do you really need to know, there is always something better sounding( $$) , if your asking the question sounds like your ready to make a move?, enjoy the site