BrownieXYZ

Where do you legally purchase Hi Res Audio in Australia.

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

Not all labels are geofenced on HDTracks, but for those that are a simple proxy is all you need. If you're so inclined, a Linode in the US running squid can be had for as little as US$5 per month, including 1TB in network data transfers.

It is English...

But I have no idea what this means...

22 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

It is English...

Strange times we live in brother Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob181 said:

It is English...

I meant that some record labels (like Chesky or Pentatone) don't care that you're in Australia, you can buy their albums on HDTracks. For the rest I use a proxy server (a server that my browser connects to, which then connects to HDTracks on my behalf) in the US. If you're happy to run your own Linux box, you can do so for US$5 per month, in a US datacenter of your choice.

@Steffen...thanks for the response...

Very much appreciated...I got the proxy server first time round...

The Linux box though is completely new to me...

Time for Ms Google &/or talk to my techie kids...

You just need a VPN anonymiser for example like ExpressVPN, there are many others. No Linux box required

In answer to the OP... no, there are not any HiRes download sites in au. But don't let this deter you. You can easily download from geoblocked HiRes sites world wide using a VPN, as many others here have said. I have been doing this for many, many years without issue. And, I have a very clear conscience as the supplier of the files and the artists get paid!

Just one point I would make to add something to this discussion is in relation to VPNs..... not all are created equal. Always try before you buy a subscription (most provide a free trial period) and read some reviews. The cheapest are not necessarily the best.

Edited by Beacon

43 minutes ago, Beacon said:

The cheapest are not necessarily the best.

Ain't that the truth...

In my experience...you get what you pay for...

Good conversation. Ended up buying a VPN and purchasing from US sites via Paypal. 

Seems a massive hole in the market for Aussie music to me. 

I too was frustrated by the number of albums on HDTracks that were geoblocked.  So I have just used ZDigital (a lot of 16/44.1 and a bit of 24/96), Bandcamp, Presto Classical (in UK and no geoblocking, and also has jazz) as i found nearly all content i wanted was not available.  Until I read on another SNA forum on Friday that the Opera web browser has a built in VPN service (which can be toggled on/off).  So off I went to HD Tracks to give it a go....and lo and behold it worked...geoblocking lifted, transaction (using PayPal) completed, download worked a treat.

I don't now what complexities introducing browser 3 on my PC will mean (shouldn't be any unless it is a hacker's friend).  But for now it is my window into a bigger music catalogue.

I've been using the French-based Qobuz for years. It has a very large catalog, and everything is CD quality or better. My experience is that it's cheaper than HDtracks. If you sign-in from Australia you'll get an unavailable message, which you can simply close and go about your business.

(On an unrelated matter, I have a French email address, which is inadmissible on this site!)

On 05/06/2019 at 9:26 AM, MikeInOz said:

I've been using the French-based Qobuz for years. It has a very large catalog, and everything is CD quality or better. My experience is that it's cheaper than HDtracks. If you sign-in from Australia you'll get an unavailable message, which you can simply close and go about your business.

(On an unrelated matter, I have a French email address, which is inadmissible on this site!)

Yeah Qobuz allows you to buy and download tracks, although I haven’t done that because you can stream at 16/44.1 or higher (dependent on the plan).  The premium plan gives you a discount on purchasing tracks.

also when you stream via a phone r iPad you can choose to download and store (without charge) the tracks in a cache (don’t believe they are accessible to shift to a NAS for example).

So for example I have around 50gb of XD quality music on my iPhone.

This is an interesting thing ;) that I used to use for HD downloads (paid). I too don't believe in ripping off artists however I think you should be able to get music from where ever you want as long as you pay for it.

I am using Zdigital, Presto and eBay (CDs). I keep copy of everything on my PC.