BrownieXYZ

Where do you legally purchase Hi Res Audio in Australia.

Hi guys. I did have a quick search and could not really find anything.  So thought I would ask here. 

Are there any good Australian sites to download Hi res FLAC files above CD quality. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by BrownieXYZ
Autocorrect

Good question, I haven’t found any that have a comprehensive catalog, have to resort to HDTracks and other sites in the US. There are a couple of European based sites which are open, but have limited catalogs.

The concept of geo-blocking purchase from the US when the product is not even available here is ridiculous

1 hour ago, mjs said:

The concept of geo-blocking purchase from the US when the product is not even available here is ridiculous

To get around geo-blocking you could use a VPN. 

Guest Eggcup The Daft

Thankfully, somewhat less is geo-blocked than used to be the case.

1 hour ago, mjs said:

Actually, the whole point is that the items concerned are only licensed to be sold in the US and not here. What's ridiculous is that they don't want our money, even when they could get away with charging us multiples of the US price, like with everything else.

Even more bizarrely, the music geoblocked from streaming on Tidal and from purchase on HD Tracks in Australia seems to differ quite a bit.

I guess with the GST and the Amazon problems, even LP is geoblocked now. I thought we had a free - b----y - trade agreement with the US?

They make it too hard to buy legal copies and do the right thing, so.............

l ripped all my CD's to my Pc

regards Bruce

35 minutes ago, sloper said:

They make it too hard to buy legal copies and do the right thing, so.............

l ripped all my CD's to my Pc

???

You already bought legal copies.

PS - it is no longer 'illegal' in Australia to rip CDs which aren't 'copy-protected', and which you own to your computer/device.

The absurdity of it all is that if it's effectively illegal to buy from HDTracks etc while in Australia you may as well use that VPN to torrent to your heart's content.

I’m sure it’s possible to use VPN software with a US server, register with HD Tracks, give then a US address and phone no which they would never check as all transactions just happen totally on line, log in, select AND pay for it, buy to your heart’s content.

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

The absurdity of it all is that if it's effectively illegal to buy from HDTracks etc while in Australia you may as well use that VPN to torrent to your heart's content.

I'm not your lawyer, but I'd be much more concerned about breaching the criminal laws of the country I lived in  .... than breaching the civil laws (disobeying the end-user terms and conditions) of a country which I didn't live in.

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

Yeah.

Never mind that it is theft of intellectual property and a criminal offence.

Why anybody would torrent these days is beyond my understanding when there are subscription music services for those who must have all-you-can-eat.

But the point is that there aren’t subscription services for hi-res files. If you did use a VPN you could at least buy files in the US system, artists get royalties, all that stuff in accordance with sales in the US, albeit not strictly being a resident

@mjs

Fair enough.

I guess that my lack of interest in subscription services or buying files is evident. So long as the artists get paid fairly, I don't mind what people use but I am red hot angry if people steal music.

I am not saying you do, but many people do this routinely

[mention=110821]mjs[/mention]
Fair enough.

I guess that my lack of interest in subscription services or buying files is evident. So long as the artists get paid fairly, I don't mind what people use but I am red hot angry if people steal music.
I am not saying you do, but many people do this routinely

No, I am dead against stealing music, video, anything else that involves royalties to artists who need to get paid

I think @Marc and SNA should look into starting such a service 

Some time ago a discussion was started to look into a Discogs type of service 

But with the resources available to the SNA model I believe it could be a goer and a smoother transition than starting from scratch 

Anyone else agree ?

Edited by Full Range

I agree, but as usual, our market is minuscule, offering/viability will be an issue, but happy to support of course.