Switching off Vampire Power

Is there a way to switch off 'Vampire Power' from modern TV's without having to switch them off at the wall?

I have a KD55X8500E and when I use the button at the back to switch off the TV, I'm able to switch the TV back on using the remote. This means the TV is never really truly switched off and sucking up power overnight. Most older TV's would switch off completely via the TV's off switch or at least the remote function would switch off.

With my sister's Sharp Aqueos after you switch it off at the wall you'd hear a click from within the TV indicating it was also never truly switched off. In this day of being eco-friendly why are TV companies designing TV to run on Vampire Power? I'd imagine there'd also be a risk to catch fire with something constantly on in the background.

I've noticed id I hit the power button on my washing machine after switching it off at the wall, the bells & whistles (and lights) switch on for a moment as if to start up but I suspect that's left over energy in the capacitors.

s

I worthy and laudable sentiment, but let's look at what really matters:

* A typical, modern TV, PVR, etc consumes less than 1 Watt on standby. 

Say: 1 X 24 X 365 = 8,750 Watt/hrs per year.

* A pool filter consumes around 1,000 Watts when operational. That's at least 5 hours/day, 365 days per year. 

Say: 1000 X 5 X 365 = 1,825,000 Watt/hrs per year.

* A large electric heater consumes around 2,400 Watts when operational.

Say: 2400 X 1.5 X 365 = 1,314,000 Watt/hrs per year.

* A large, wall mounted air conditioner consumes around 2,000 Watts when operational.

Say: 2000 X 3 X 365 = 2,190,000 Watt/hrs per year.

* A typical ducted air conditioner consumes around 5,000 Watts when operational.

Say: 5000 X 3 X 365 = 5,475,000 Watt/hrs per year.

Which of the following will make a significant difference to power consumption and to global warming:

* Switching off your TV set (1 Watt on standby)?

* Getting rid of your swimming pool (like I did)? 

* Wearing another sweater during the Winter?

* Turning the thermostat up/down, so the heating/cooling system is consuming less power.

Focus on the big stuff first. Then worry about the little stuff.

8 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I worthy and laudable sentiment, but let's look at what really matters:

* A pool filter consumes around 1,000 Watts when operational. That's at least 5 hours/day, 365 days per year. 

* A large, wall mounted air conditioner consumes around 2,000 Watts when operational.

* A typical ducted air conditioner consumes around 5,000 Watts when operational.

Which of the following will make a significant difference to power consumption and to global warming:

* Turning the thermostat up/down, so the heating/cooling system is consuming less power.

While I agree with your sentiment, ZB ... I don't think your arithmetic is quite right??

You said:

That's assuming it's on standby all day - which it's not ... it's being watched some of the time.  So the (wasted) standby power is, say: 1 x 20 x 365 = 7,300 Watt hrs per year.

I suggest a heater would be on for more hours per day ... but less days per year.  If you take 3 hrs a day for 250 days - you get 1,800,000 Watt hrs per year.

My aircon is only on, maybe 20 days a year - but typically for more than 3 hours.  Say: 2000 x 8 x 20 = 320,000 Watt hrs pr year.

Given these ducted systems generally both heat and cool, I would suggest your hrs/day is too low.  But some days, neither heating nor cooling is needed.

So: 5000 x 8 x 250 = 10,000,000 Watt hrs per year.

Andy

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I switch it off at the wall every night and when I leave home. I don't want to die in a house fire or return to smouldering ashes. Yes I do have a smoke alarm; better safe than sorry.

I don't have a pool

I supplement my oil heater by throwing on another sloppy joe when I feel the cold sting; rather than getting another heater.

I don't have AC at home but do this at work. Someone there switches it on 26-28 deg. after I notice it getting warm I put it down to 20 and they never notice, lol.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

1 minute ago, StephenSLR said:

I switch it off at the wall every night and when I leave home.

I don't have a pool

Always

I don't have AC at home but do this at work. Someone there switches it on 26-28 deg. after I notice it getting warm I put it down to 20 and they never notice, lol.

s

All good, but you need to examine your electricity bill and see how much difference 9kWhr per year will make. 

And again, I am not suggesting that you should not switch off at the mains (after all, I do exactly that with my TVs), just that you need to address the big stuff first. Which it appears you may aready be doing. Kudos for that. I wish you could speak to my next door neighbours. They installed a pool (fools) and a huge (7kW) ducted air con. They run it all night and most of the day during Winter and a goodly chunk of Summer too. Their power bills must be enormous. 

7 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

All good, but you need to examine your electricity bill and see how much difference 9kWhr per year will make.

I'm not mostly concerned about the electricity bill, I can easily afford the vampire power.

I just prefer to have the TV completely off, the TV will last longer as a result and what most don't know, electricity power stations in Aus. primarily burn fossil fuels to supply us with sweet, sweet, electricity, lol. Inb4 solar power & wind farms; I realise we have them but they only supplement the coal fired boilers.

s

Edited by StephenSLR

4 minutes ago, StephenSLR said:

I'm not mostly concerned about the electricity bill, I can easily afford the vampire power.

I just prefer to have the TV completely off, the TV will last longer as a result and what most don't know, electricity power stations in Aus. primarily burn fossil fuels to supply us with sweet, sweet, electricity, lol. Inb4 solar power & wind farms; I realise we have them but they only supplement the coal fired boilers.

s

Fair enough. I can't quibble with any of that.

1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Correct. No, is the answer. Unless your TV has a 'hard' switch (like my Pana does). Many modern sets don't have this feature.

Damn, I was hoping there was an option in the settings somewhere.

:(

s

4 hours ago, StephenSLR said:

Damn, I was hoping there was an option in the settings somewhere.

:(

s

Just thought I’d share my experience.

when i got into the workforce the brand of products I was working on always had a DPDT mains power switch... what that is is when you turned the equipment off, it would physically disconnect the live 240 mains and neutral!  However as the mains is hardwired to a power strip the earth was usually always connected!     So as time went on I though this was the norm for all equipment, sadly it’s wasn’t the case .   The company I was working with decided to make a stretegic decision and closed the division down so I was retrenched in 1994.  I started to work for a small company to pay the bills...  One brand of printer I was exposed to had an on/off switch for mains power.  However this didn’t disconnect the 240V mains when in the off position, what it did was switched the entire display panel off so it looked like it off,    Silly me and assuming didn’t realised the machine was still operating at full power and with the covers off I was zapped with 240V....     So as per advise it’s always better and smarter to turned the device off at the wall!   Today with all the accredited power saving requirements and cost savings, the old DPDT power switch are now rare and are no longer applied as power saving programs and implementations are implemented on most devices.  I still believe it’s safer and peace of mind to switched off at the wall when not in use.

• Thanks 1