Recommend me a pair of higher end phono cables

Guest Y B

What @michaelw said.

I use a direct run of silver litz from the cart to what ever is controlling the low level signal (SUT, pre, phono stage). The less connections the better for me. Beyond this you just use standard interconects. If your arm has connections at the base, or rear of the table, you need to use cable designed for the low level signal, even if it uses RCAs. Ths will be a fine wired litz or similar with good sheilding. It may LOOK like a standard interconnect, but it isn't, it's a specific phono cable. Once te signal has passed through a phono stage or SUT, a standard interconnect should be used.

hi max,

i'm using the purist audio design proteus provectus which is a previous gen cable, but still

sounds musical with good weight and resolution.

haven't heard the new luminist series, but you can get them within your budget if you buy o/s.

they have phono cables in all their ranges. i went with the older range as the sound is more laid-back

which is what i wanted with an ss phono stage.

in your case with exclusive/shelter which is a more laid-back presentation, you could probably benefit with the greater resolution of the luminist series.

before the purist, i was using the synergistic research tricon phono, which was very nice too, and i sold that to mark, so i think he would still be using it perhaps?, and you would have heard many times.

try audio solutions at mascot - they used to sell synergistic, but may have some stock to clear?

otherwise, o/s is your best bet.

both these cable ranges have ground wire built-in.

good luck with your search :thumb:

Edited by analog brother
  • Like 1

After talking with Audience, they recommended their upgraded Ohno phono/TT interconnect which they thought better and cheaper than the current Au24SE. Was very impressed that they recommended the cheaper cable from their own line. Soundsmith low output MI into Goldnote phono stage. Has an earth wire. RCA>RCA

https://www.thecableco.com/4ft-1-25m-ohno-mm-phono-rca-to-rca.html

On 04/08/2018 at 1:45 PM, Y B said:

Oops I should have made it clear that it’s for use in between Shelter 411 Type II SUT to the phono stage. So it’s RCA to RCA with an earth line as the 411 needs this to be humless.

Currently using the excellent Aurealis Audio R3 AgL Silver Litz. I had the same between the phono and preamp but after replacing it with a higher end cable, I would like to see what brings to the system by changing the interconnects in this chain, and see what other possibilities.

I’ll probably stay with the original phono cable from the Exclusive P10 tonearm to the SUT as I don’t wish to make changes there for now.

I'll follow this with interest. I have the same shielded Silver Litz Phono Cable from Geoff from T/T to Phono. Good Cable for the money. What was the higher end Cable you used from Phono to Pre? Assuming that's unshielded?

hi max,

i'm using the purist audio design proteus provectus which is a previous gen cable, but still

sounds musical with good weight and resolution.

haven't heard the new luminist series, but you can get them within your budget if you buy o/s.

they have phono cables in all their ranges. i went with the older range as the sound is more laid-back

which is what i wanted with an ss phono stage.

in your case with exclusive/shelter which is a more laid-back presentation, you could probably benefit with the greater resolution of the luminist series.

before the purist, i was using the synergistic research tricon phono, which was very nice too, and i sold that to mark, so i think he would still be using it perhaps?, and you would have heard many times.

try audio solutions at mascot - they used to sell synergistic, but may have some stock to clear?

otherwise, o/s is your best bet.

both these cable ranges have ground wire built-in.

good luck with your search default_thumb.gif

Correct James. I’m still running the Synergistic cable, though not using the ground as nowhere on the TT to ground it. It’s a good quiet cable.

I do actually want to get a new cable from SUT to phono as some point.

Max, you are welcome to borrow the Synergistic to try out.

Btw. It’s been too long since we caught up (Nax and James) System sounding great with a new PC1 Supreme though still some room issues to tame in new house.

• Like 2

Max, you are welcome to borrow the Synergistic to try out.
Btw. It’s been too long since we caught up (Max and James)

Hi Mark, thanks for the nice offer, I might take up your offer and get it from you when I receive your records! :)

I'll follow this with interest. I have the same shielded Silver Litz Phono Cable from Geoff from T/T to Phono. Good Cable for the money. What was the higher end Cable you used from Phono to Pre? Assuming that's unshielded?

The Chord Company’s Indigo Plus bought here in Classified recently. Didn’t think it was going to make much difference but it did. A member I spoke to did not like the Indigo Plus at all so there you go. Love to hear your experience with this cable if you or anyone else have used it.

Indigo made quite a loud hum when I put it between SUT and phono stage although it supposed to be shielded? Then I did not know that I need to connect the earth wire to get rid of the hum. Now I know and I might swap them over to see the results, however the Indigo Plus is a little too short where I want to place my SUT and TT so it’s not really suitable to use between the SUT and phono.

1 hour ago, Y B said:

Hi Mark, thanks for the nice offer, I might take up your offer and get it from you when I receive your records! :)

oh, I could offer a loan of a pair of Nordost Valhalla's.  but that would be mean - like offering crack to a drug addict :hiccup

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, analog brother said:

max, shane just wants to o/d on odin. :hiccup

maybe they sell odin on the street in hk?

mark - yes must catch up soon; i've been too much out of the loop.

glad to hear you went for the pc-1s, that's a huge step up. :thumb:

James.  I am sure they sell Odin on the street - but would the fake Odin sound any good?

max, shane just wants to o/d on odin. :hiccup
maybe they sell odin on the street in hk?

I’m sure he knows the ins and outs and the backstreets or underground’s of HK!

Though I do have the slight advantage of speaking Cantonese if he ever needed my help of finding anything. [emoji16]

2 hours ago, Y B said:

The Chord Company’s Indigo Plus bought here in Classified recently. Didn’t think it was going to make much difference but it did. A member I spoke to did not like the Indigo Plus at all so there you go. Love to hear your experience with this cable if you or anyone else have used it.

Indigo made quite a loud hum when I put it between SUT and phono stage although it supposed to be shielded? Then I did not know that I need to connect the earth wire to get rid of the hum. Now I know and I might swap them over to see the results, however the Indigo Plus is a little too short where I want to place my SUT and TT so it’s not really suitable to use between the SUT and phono.

Thanks. The whole Cable game can be a bit tricky. Synergy with some components, maybe not as much with others. Then you need shielded from your SUT, so that will eliminate others. Good luck in your search.

8 hours ago, t_mike said:

What @michaelw said.

I use a direct run of silver litz from the cart to what ever is controlling the low level signal (SUT, pre, phono stage). The less connections the better for me. Beyond this you just use standard interconects. If your arm has connections at the base, or rear of the table, you need to use cable designed for the low level signal, even if it uses RCAs. This will be a fine wired litz or similar with good sheilding. It may LOOK like a standard interconnect, but it isn't, it's a specific phono cable. Once te signal has passed through a phono stage or SUT, a standard interconnect should be used.

Ummm, t-mike ... you've just said the exact opposite of what michaelw said?  Do you have a problem with comprehending what you read?  :lol:

michaelw said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

it isn't that hard.  ?

phono cable = dedicated interconnect for low level phono signals to your phono stage,

sut provides low level signals to a phono stage so phono cable it is.

?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

IOW, he says you don't use a "standard interconnect" between a SUT and a phono stage!  (I disagree with him!)

And please tell me why you can't continue to use "fine wired litz or similar with good shielding" from SUT to phono stage ... or from phono stage to preamp.

BTW, "litz" generally means multiple, insulated, solid-core wires for each cable run.  So a 'litz' speaker wire might have 8x 24g solid-core wires to each speaker terminal.

Whereas an arm wire - which can extend from the cart to the SUT or phono stage - is typically just 4, extremely thin, individual solid-core wires under a shield:

• R signal
  • R ground
  • L signal
  • L ground.

This is not 'litz' construction.

Andy

Edited by andyr

I have compiled a list of the cables recommended so far, for those who is also interested. The price is RRP for guide only, let us know if you find them cheaper somewhere else :)

1. Morrow Audio - Elite Grand Reference Phono Cables RRP US$2295.00 1.0m

2. NORDOST - Heimdall 2 Tonearm Cable RRP US$659.99 1.25m

3. Furutech AG-12-R4 Silver RCA Tonearm Cable RRP AUD$700 1.2m
4. Purist Audio Design Proteus Provectus (No longer in production. Wait for availability second hand.)

3 to consider:
Purist Audio Design Aqueous Aureus-Luminist Phono Cables RRP US$1175.00 1.2m
Purist Audio Design Venustas-Luminist Phono Cables RRP US$1645.00 1.2m
Purist Audio Design Neptune-Luminist Phono Cables RRP US$1880.00 1.2m

5. Synergistic Research - Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary Edition Phono Cable RRP US$950 1.0m

6. Audience Ohno MM Phono RRP US$705 1.25m Special Price US$495

7. Nordost Valhalla 2 Reference RRP US$7,599.99 1.0m (Note: Can't ever afford. Loan from my best friend and never return them! :))

Edited by Y B

There are 3 versions of Audience Ohno Phono Cables available:

• Low Z – for moving coil cartridges with internal resistance up to 30 ohms.

• High Z – for moving coil cartridges with internal resistance between 30 and 100 ohms.

• MM – for all cartridges with internal resistance above 100 ohms which includes moving coil cartridges rated at 47k ohms and most moving magnet or moving iron models.

Confusion:

Which one suits my Shelter 7000 & 411 Type II SUT combination?

I checked their specifications and it only mentioned input and output impedance. Where can I check their internal resistance?

"Regular" RCA cables that are used commonly with high end audio equipment somehow dont sound as good when used as a "phono" cable from tt to phonostage. 

I think the issue is their higher capacitance. 

OTOH, the "phono" RCA cables recommended by tt manufacturers sound better when used between tt and phonostage, but may sound a bit "thinny" when used for "regular" HiFi duties - between a cd player and the pre-amp for instance.

The capacitance value of a cable is known to affect frequency response greatly when used with mm cartridges. What is not as well known is that capacitance does matter when used with mc cartridges too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Y B said:

I have compiled a list of the cables recommended so far, for those who is also interested. The price is RRP for guide only, let us know if you find them cheaper somewhere else :)

1. Morrow Audio - Elite Grand Reference Phono Cables RRP US$2295.00 1.0m

2. NORDOST - Heimdall 2 Tonearm Cable RRP US$659.99 1.25m

3. Furutech AG-12-R4 Silver RCA Tonearm Cable RRP AUD$700 1.2m
4. Purist Audio Design Proteus Provectus (No longer in production. Wait for availability second hand.)

3 to consider:
Purist Audio Design Aqueous Aureus-Luminist Phono Cables RRP US$1175.00 1.2m
Purist Audio Design Venustas-Luminist Phono Cables RRP US$1645.00 1.2m
Purist Audio Design Neptune-Luminist Phono Cables RRP US$1880.00 1.2m

5. Synergistic Research - Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary Edition Phono Cable RRP US$950 1.0m

6. Audience Ohno MM Phono RRP US$705 1.25m Special Price US$495

7. Nordost Valhalla 2 Reference RRP US$7,599.99 1.0m (Note: Can't ever afford. Loan from my best friend and never return them! :))

Y B,

If you are considering Morrow, only purchase when they have big discounts (up to 60% with trade in/up). The discount prices are more realistic prices.