Sign in to follow this  
Tone Malone

4k Blu ray for music concerts: worth it?

Hi folks,

I'm weighing up options for a blu ray player and my choice may well end up being between a 4k-capable player, or a higher-quality player without 4k.

I've got a good idea of the models of player out there - just wanted to know how much I'd be missing out on if I didn't get a 4k player.

The area I'm really interested in is music concerts with great 2ch stereo audio. My TV isn't huge and while I'm looking forward to the step up in picture over DVD, I'm more interested in the incremental sound quality improvements.

The main questions that come to mind are:

- Are music concerts on 4k blu ray also typically on standard blu ray? Or are ypu noticing standard blu ray being phased out?

- Has anyone noticed significant *audio* improvements playing 4k disks vs standard blu ray?

I have Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock , Live in Madrid on 4K disc, looks great, it uses normal HD sound or stereo if preferred, and not HDR, just UHD.

Looks very good though, and the concert rocks my socks off, recommended

It was filmed in 4K, a little bit in Doogie White(vocals) goes into a bit of why the cameras are there and what they are filming in, 4K, though he did not know what that meant ehe

Edited by Itsmoi

On ‎4‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, Tone Malone said:

The main questions that come to mind are:

- Are music concerts on 4k blu ray also typically on standard blu ray? Or are ypu noticing standard blu ray being phased out?

- Has anyone noticed significant *audio* improvements playing 4k disks vs standard blu ray?

Consider how long we have  had dolby atmos  and the number of titles that have the height dimension added ..

https://www.dolby.com/in/en/experience/dolby-atmos/bluray-and-streaming/music-titles-global.pdf

These discs are standard bluray ; at least The Wall is so that should show where Hollywoods priorities are atm :cool:

Its a shame after reading this review on The Wall 

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/26301/rogerwatersthewall.html

if you don't want multichannel including the sparse atmos ones standard bd's have lossless audio like uhd ones anyway :)

On 04/08/2018 at 8:32 AM, Tone Malone said:

The area I'm really interested in is music concerts with great 2ch stereo audio. My TV isn't huge and while I'm looking forward to the step up in picture over DVD, I'm more interested in the incremental sound quality improvements.

If audio is your priority and TV is not huge, suggest standard blu ray.  You should consider adding a sub which improves the concert experience.