Just now, Jack Goff said:

Maybe a bare wire connected to the mains?? 

I found that your suggested methods are very effective but it requires breaking domestic law.. I might have to abide by law to be a good citizen. :) 

1 minute ago, Spider27 said:

I found that your suggested methods are very effective but it requires breaking domestic law.. I might have to abide by law to be a good citizen. :) 

And there’s the rub. You have to be a good citizen and the grub that actually breaks in has the law on their side... 

sorry to derail your thread. It’s only light hearted 

2 minutes ago, Jack Goff said:

And there’s the rub. You have to be a good citizen and the grub that actually breaks in has the law on their side... 

sorry to derail your thread. It’s only light hearted 

No worries at all. It was great fun to read your suggestions. :) 

I'm failing to see what getting some little grub on video using your property as a short cut is going to achieve? I'm sure the cops have got higher priorities than chasing harmless trespassers.

I understand it is serious to you and your family but I'd look into ways to stop it happening rather than get video proof of offences.

1 minute ago, blybo said:

I'm failing to see what getting some little grub on video using your property as a short cut is going to achieve? I'm sure the cops have got higher priorities than chasing harmless trespassers.

I understand it is serious to you and your family but I'd look into ways to stop it happening rather than get video proof of offences.

Good point and I will elaborate further. :) 

The video surveillance is not for reporting police but mainly monitoring purpose. Without my family's acknowledgement, trespasser climb over fence and pass my backyard. Since either myself and my wife is at home all the time, if we knew someone trespassing, either of us can come out and ask youngsters not to do it. I found that Arlo Pro or Ring has notification function so if there is some movement, it detects and send notification promptly.

Last one was happened a couple of days ago during daylight and neither of us was even aware of it so could not stop them. We found out that someone moved our rubbish bin so they could step over it and climb over the fence. 

i am torn between Arlo Pro 2 and Ring Spotlight. I only need to put one at the back since I am planning to put video doorbell. And my house is always occupied 24 hours so extra features may not necessary.   Has anyone used Ring Spotlight security cam for outdoor?

I can’t speak for ring spotlight, but I’ve got a ring doorbell on battery and have found it to be a good system.

Wired, I haven’t had good experiences with wireless, although they might of gotten better now

On 06/08/2018 at 12:40 PM, Home theatre rookie said:

Was it really clear as day?

I ask because i find my 2 way audio a bit laggy.

It works okay but i find theres about a 4 second lag.

Arlo is the best wire free cam/system by far.

I also bought the solar panel for one of my cams, keeps the battery fully charged indefinitely.

It is clear but as you say understandably a bit of lag.For spider 27 he will at lease then know how often and when the trespassing occurs.

May be a silly suggestion and not relevant, but how bout a family dog? I too am looking into cameras, as we live in a spot frequented by nare-do-wells.  Having said that, we have 2 dogs that will bark at people if they come into our place, and whilst that is occasionall annoying, it’s the perfect deterrent!

On the camera side, I’ll be doind Ethernet connected units.  I was recommended Hikvisoin cameras.  

The real issue is trying to decide what you’re trying to achieve.  For example, if you want to capture people, where their identity is easily recognisable despite them whipping past a stationary camera, in light or dark, or rain, then the costs add up.  Conversely, one could argue that installing a cheaper unit that can’t actually achieve your goals is a waste of time and money.

so maybe start back with a very clear goalie mind.  In meantime, you could always put a prominent fake one or 2 up with signs....?

19 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

May be a silly suggestion and not relevant, but how bout a family dog? I too am looking into cameras, as we live in a spot frequented by nare-do-wells.  Having said that, we have 2 dogs that will bark at people if they come into our place, and whilst that is occasionall annoying, it’s the perfect deterrent!

On the camera side, I’ll be doind Ethernet connected units.  I was recommended Hikvisoin cameras.  

The real issue is trying to decide what you’re trying to achieve.  For example, if you want to capture people, where their identity is easily recognisable despite them whipping past a stationary camera, in light or dark, or rain, then the costs add up.  Conversely, one could argue that installing a cheaper unit that can’t actually achieve your goals is a waste of time and money.

so maybe start back with a very clear goalie mind.  In meantime, you could always put a prominent fake one or 2 up with signs....?

Yes, family dog was first one came up to my mind but my wife does not want to go that path hence going alternative option.

Rose Bush suggested was good option but it may take time so maybe in the future.

I decided to go ahead putting fence height extender from Bunnings which will heighten up the fence. And, ordered Reolink Argus 2 with solar panel so no need to charge. Hope it solves the issue. :) 

Electric fence or some barbed wire should do the trick. Or broken glass into concrete :)

I use Foscam cameras. They’re pretty good. Have them inside and outside. See on your phone from anywhere in the world. 

14 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Electric fence or some barbed wire should do the trick. Or broken glass into concrete :)

I use Foscam cameras. They’re pretty good. Have them inside and outside. See on your phone from anywhere in the world. 

Good to know. :)  To put barbed wire or electric fence, don't we need to put warning sign as a legal requirement?

24 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

In this day and age you have to be careful what you use. Not unlikely to be sued by the burglar for injury. Also not unlikely to lose the case. Guy in QLD was sued by a guy injured himself trying to break in and lost. World has gone mad 

3 minutes ago, kab said:

Great combo.

pit-bull1_0.jpg

Bat.jpg

What did you do with the bat to make the dog pull that face??!!!

oh and I’ve seen your dog 😂

1 hour ago, jakeyb77 said:

oh and I’ve seen your dog 😂

He was wet that day shrunk a fair bit!

Edited by kab