Home Security Advice

Hello,

I am a total novice in home outdoor security and not sure what the best option at budget cost hence asking advice from more experienced members here...

To save members's precious time, I will direct my question first and explain current situation.

Questions:

Q1: What is the cheap & easy way to view outdoor from mobile phone or small tv upstairs in real time? 

Q2: What is the best way to prevent youngsters climb over the timber fence other than getting a dog?

Current situation:

I recently moved to new house a few months ago which is inside closed estate with one main entrance and I noticed that there are people trespassing my property from another estate through my backyard because it can save time by trespassing through my backyard and fence at the back is a bit low (1.5m only) and the other side in another estate is bare land that anyone can access.  

I just noticed that another younger jumped over my back fence and climb over front gate this late afternoon during day light. I was not noticed until they are gone and my waste bin was moved to back fence so they could step on it and cross over my back fence.  

I planted many trees around fence but they need time to grow to be really tall so not immediate solution. I am even thinking to put barbed wire but it would look ugly and might need council permission. 

First things first... Is there any cheap & easy way to install camera to view outside in real time?  I just need to view two specific areas. One at the corner of back fence and another one just outside main entrance.

And, I want really simple solution that does not  take much effort or cost to set it up.

Lastly, what would be the best way to prevent people climb over the fence?

Any suggestion or recommendation would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you very much...

Guest Benjet

I’ve installed a couple of the Swann security systems and have found them to be really good, apart from a power brick dying. The one you want to get is the power over ethernet type, that way you only need to run one cable. Jaycar are now stocking a good range of these and offer good warranty support.

Just now, Benjet said:

I’ve installed a couple of the Swann security systems and have found them to be really good, apart from a power brick dying. The one you want to get is the power over ethernet type, that way you only need to run one cable. Jaycar are now stocking a good range of these and offer good warranty support.

Thank you. I will check them out. :) 

2 minutes ago, Benjet said:

Is it wireless or wired? The one that i am looking at right now looks like wired one.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/swann-home-security-system-with-4-x-security-cameras-swdsr-850004-swann/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-qCn8rQ3AIVV6mWCh029AHvEAQYBCABEgLbYfD_BwE

of course there's no free lunch so depends on your budget, second important question is how far from your potential camera you need to monitor the object (10,20,30 meters), another question is how humid is your outside environment during the year and temperature fluctuation, doesn't need to be precise i.e. -5C to +35C etc

2 hours ago, kukynas said:

of course there's no free lunch so depends on your budget, second important question is how far from your potential camera you need to monitor the object (10,20,30 meters), another question is how humid is your outside environment during the year and temperature fluctuation, doesn't need to be precise i.e. -5C to +35C etc

True. No Free lunch.. Last night, I watched some youtube videos and I am thinking either Ring Spotlight Cam or Arlo Pro 2. My preference is actually towards Ring Spotlight because it has very long lasting battery so it does not need any external cables or frequent recharging.

Do you have electricity point near the place you’d like to install you cameras? How about distance I mentioned before? this will determine lens type on the camera, there are plenty of cameras in 150-200 bucks bucket with wifi and life view you can control with your mobile phone including alarm messaging and dual channel audio

2 minutes ago, kukynas said:

Do you have electricity point near the place you’d like to install you cameras? How about distance I mentioned before? this will determine lens type on the camera, there are plenty of cameras in 150-200 bucks bucket with wifi and life view you can control with your mobile phone including alarm messaging and dual channel audio

It is for outdoor and do not like cables to be installed from inside to outside hence look for wireless option.

Distance would be max 15m to be covered.

On 04/08/2018 at 8:56 PM, kukynas said:

so is has to be battery operated or just wifi? in case of battery operated Ring Spotlight (or similar) or small 5V solar panel with battery next to your normal cam 

Yes, That is the idea. I will give a go with Ring Spolight to see how it goes. Thanks for suggestions.

9 minutes ago, Jack Goff said:

Shoot the next intruder you have and spike his head on your fence as a deterrent. Has worked for centuries 

Not sure if I can do that. I do not want to get into Jail :) 

Guest jakeyb77
Just now, Spider27 said:

Not sure if I can do that. I do not want to get into Jail :) 

Fine then. Go with your new fangled modern camera idea ?

Just now, Stump said:

I use arlo pro mainly for front door parcel drop off.Sounds like you need a better fence also.

How dose it go with arlo Pro? Does it work fine for you?

Yes, higher fence with extension would be the next thing I am planning to install. :) 

Guest jakeyb77

Fence is not always a helper. Years ago we had a big fence and big gates and got robbed. Later informed that that’s beneficial to the criminal as they can act undetected once over the fence. 

Edited by jakeyb77

Just now, Jack Goff said:

Fence is not always a helper. Years ago we had a big fence and big gates. Later informed that that’s beneficial to the criminal as they can act undetected once over the fence. 

Hmm. That can be true, too. ?

12 hours ago, Spider27 said:

How dose it go with arlo Pro? Does it work fine for you?

Yes, higher fence with extension would be the next thing I am planning to install. :) 

Arlo pro is very well built and works really well.No wires and very stealthy.I bought the first camera and base station at JB Hifi then extra cameras through Amazon.You can use up to 5 cameras per base station.Most live cameras need a paid contract to work! Arlo allow FREE with keeping footage up to 7 days on a loop.You can save footage yourself  to a usb  .You can pay and keep footage for more then 7 days to the cloud.While away in Japan a friend who picked up my mail and water the garden was setting off the cameras.Meanwhile I was talking to him through the camera with my iphone clear as day!!!!

• Like 1

i am torn between Arlo Pro 2 and Ring Spotlight. I only need to put one at the back since I am planning to put video doorbell. And my house is always occupied 24 hours so extra features may not necessary.   Has anyone used Ring Spotlight security cam for outdoor?