Jump to content

Spider27

Home Security Advice

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I am a total novice in home outdoor security and not sure what the best option at budget cost hence asking advice from more experienced members here...

 

To save members's precious time, I will direct my question first and explain current situation.

 

Questions:

 

Q1: What is the cheap & easy way to view outdoor from mobile phone or small tv upstairs in real time? 

Q2: What is the best way to prevent youngsters climb over the timber fence other than getting a dog?

 

Current situation:

 

I recently moved to new house a few months ago which is inside closed estate with one main entrance and I noticed that there are people trespassing my property from another estate through my backyard because it can save time by trespassing through my backyard and fence at the back is a bit low (1.5m only) and the other side in another estate is bare land that anyone can access.  

 

I just noticed that another younger jumped over my back fence and climb over front gate this late afternoon during day light. I was not noticed until they are gone and my waste bin was moved to back fence so they could step on it and cross over my back fence.  

 

I planted many trees around fence but they need time to grow to be really tall so not immediate solution. I am even thinking to put barbed wire but it would look ugly and might need council permission. 

 

First things first... Is there any cheap & easy way to install camera to view outside in real time?  I just need to view two specific areas. One at the corner of back fence and another one just outside main entrance.

And, I want really simple solution that does not  take much effort or cost to set it up.

 

Lastly, what would be the best way to prevent people climb over the fence?

 

Any suggestion or recommendation would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Thank you very much...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve installed a couple of the Swann security systems and have found them to be really good, apart from a power brick dying. The one you want to get is the power over ethernet type, that way you only need to run one cable. Jaycar are now stocking a good range of these and offer good warranty support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Benjet said:

I’ve installed a couple of the Swann security systems and have found them to be really good, apart from a power brick dying. The one you want to get is the power over ethernet type, that way you only need to run one cable. Jaycar are now stocking a good range of these and offer good warranty support.

Thank you. I will check them out. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Benjet said:

I’ve installed a couple of the Swann security systems and have found them to be really good, apart from a power brick dying. The one you want to get is the power over ethernet type, that way you only need to run one cable. Jaycar are now stocking a good range of these and offer good warranty support.

Is it wireless or wired? The one that i am looking at right now looks like wired one.

 

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/swann-home-security-system-with-4-x-security-cameras-swdsr-850004-swann/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-qCn8rQ3AIVV6mWCh029AHvEAQYBCABEgLbYfD_BwE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Arlo pro 2 is the way to go imo.

Thank you for the recommendation. I just checked and it is quite pricey though.. 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


of course there's no free lunch so depends on your budget, second important question is how far from your potential camera you need to monitor the object (10,20,30 meters), another question is how humid is your outside environment during the year and temperature fluctuation, doesn't need to be precise i.e. -5C to +35C etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kukynas said:

of course there's no free lunch so depends on your budget, second important question is how far from your potential camera you need to monitor the object (10,20,30 meters), another question is how humid is your outside environment during the year and temperature fluctuation, doesn't need to be precise i.e. -5C to +35C etc

 

True. No Free lunch.. Last night, I watched some youtube videos and I am thinking either Ring Spotlight Cam or Arlo Pro 2. My preference is actually towards Ring Spotlight because it has very long lasting battery so it does not need any external cables or frequent recharging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have electricity point near the place you’d like to install you cameras? How about distance I mentioned before? this will determine lens type on the camera, there are plenty of cameras in 150-200 bucks bucket with wifi and life view you can control with your mobile phone including alarm messaging and dual channel audio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kukynas said:

Do you have electricity point near the place you’d like to install you cameras? How about distance I mentioned before? this will determine lens type on the camera, there are plenty of cameras in 150-200 bucks bucket with wifi and life view you can control with your mobile phone including alarm messaging and dual channel audio

It is for outdoor and do not like cables to be installed from inside to outside hence look for wireless option.

Distance would be max 15m to be covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×