JD1

The job of a pre amp

5 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I quickly checked the manual to see if it had an "error detect" light .... but it may have a pad on the circuit board which can be monitored.    This will tell, whenever there is a read error.

How that refers to my challenge to George...

I do not know...missed something in translation...

43 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

DAC that has a digital domain volume control, that also operates that volume on the spidf digital output

TC Electronic DACs ... but most pro/semi gear offers this option on some models.

It's obviously uncommon in hfi gear.   I just noticed your DAC had a good selection of inputs and ouputs, and though it might have had that flexibility....  things like that (fixed and variables outputs, etc.) seemed more common back then too.

40 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

In my case <150hz, Art said it definitely wasn't practical, as it was meters.

Maybe I’m doing this wrong (quite possible)

MiniDSP website suggests their latency is around 1.5mS. 

Sound travels around 300m/s so a delay of 1.5 milliseconds is roughly 45 cm. 

4 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

How that refers to my challenge to George...

I do not know...missed something in translation...

You are challenging him to see whether a original or burned CD would "sound the same/different/worse/whatever".

CD players can TELL you when the data isn't read perfectly.... and I was suggesting that a better test (than using his ears) would be checking the "data error" indicator.... and he will see, if there is 1 in a blue moon error on the original .... and zillions of errors on the burnt copy ... then he would be right.   Listening to stuff just adds a whole other layer of unnecessary soup to things  ;)

... but on most players it's not an easy thing to access.  Especially newer ones.

OK...

I'm suggesting his ears...

Just now, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Maybe I’m doing this wrong (quite possible)

Yep :) 

Just now, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

MiniDSP website suggests their latency is around 1.5mS. 

This is the latency that the DSP introduces from it's input to output all the time (with no filters active).

Filters add their own delay.   The type of filter influences the delay.    Some types of DSP filters can have lots and lots of delay  ..... t hey would have the same delay if done in analogue, but it's impractical to make them without DSP .... and hence people end up with the misnomer that the delay is "because DSP".    The delay is because of the filter.

(Aside from the 1.5ms for the minidsp, which is unavoidable)

This is why I suggested to G to choose filters which had less delay.

10 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

OK...

I'm suggesting his ears...

:) 

Let's say...  that he thinks that the original sounds better.      But in fact, both discs read perfectly.   You were right (that the burn one will be read fine) ... but it was never shown.

Let's say .... that he can't tell the difference between the two discs.    But in fact, the burned on had read errors that were quite large (vs. no read errors on the original).    He was right (the burned one didn't read properly)  .... but it was never shown. 

1 hour ago, georgehifi said:

I think you'll find that if a player can't identify a 0 or a 1 it substitutes what was last identified for a replacement of the corrupted unreadable. In other words a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

That's right... or other techniques.

Error "correction" requires delay .... so in the event that a read is known to be wrong.... the player can go back and read the data again....   but still deliver it timely enough for there not to be a "pause" in the audio output.

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

That's right... or other techniques.

Error "correction" requires delay .... so in the event that a read is known to be wrong.... the player can go back and read the data again....   but still deliver it timely enough for there not to be a "pause" in the audio output.

That will depend on the quality of the physical media itself and how well that laser sees the info....    ever seen a cd/DVD sit there restarting to spin again again, it pisses me off!   The optical media was designed and released in the mid 80s lets leave it there....  can’t wait for it to disappear like tape.

Edited by Addicted to music