Luxman L509X Integrated Amp User Review

• 1 month later...
Guest DarkNark

@Hayabusa

Hi Ian, thanks for the great write up! 

I am scouting for a new amp and the Luxman has made my radar. Just wondering if you have any extra insights that you would like to add, both positive or negative, 9 months later?

For instance, have you tried an MC cart with the phono section yet?

Thanks

Dave

23 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

@Hayabusa

Hi Ian, thanks for the great write up! 

I am scouting for a new amp and the Luxman has made my radar. Just wondering if you have any extra insights that you would like to add, both positive or negative, 9 months later?

For instance, have you tried an MC cart with the phono section yet?

Thanks

Dave

Not aimed at me, but I used to use an Primare R32 phono before I bought the Luxman L-550AX. I reckon the in-built phono is far better. Having a very high quality internal phono also negates any capacitance issues that the cables may introduce, so that in itself is a benefit, not to mention the cost of cables!

Just now, Hydrology said:

Not aimed at me, but I used to use an Primare R32 phono before I bought the Luxman L-550AX. I reckon the in-built phono is far better. Having a very high quality internal phono also negates any capacitance issues that the cables may introduce, so that in itself is a benefit, not to mention the cost of cables!

Could not agree more.

I recently purchased an outboard phono stage which I thought would improve that contained internally in my own Luxman amplifier.

It was certainly a very good phono stage, but not even close to the tonality and musicality of that in my Luxman.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Well 9 months on, I still have the 509X and to me it is sounding better than ever! Yes I used a MC with the Luxman and while the sound was good it was not properly loaded. It needed from 400 Ohms to 800 Ohms to sound its best and the Luxman is 100 Ohms only. Many MC's will sound perfect at 100 Ohm I think but I did not have one on hand. I have since gone to a Musical Fidelity Nu Vista Vinyl phono stage and this has multiple loading options for both mm and mc and yes it is clearly superior to the Luxman inbuilt phono stage but it should be at the price. The MF Vinyl really only started to obviously outshine the Luxman phono stage though when I got some second had balanced Audioquest WEL Signature interconnects from the Vinyl to the Luxman 509X. This was the greatest single improvement I have had with my system outside a major equipment upgrade but then the new price of these cables is more than the Vinyl phono stage itself. I am now waiting on an Audioquest Wild LP phono cable to arrive and I hope that will also be a step forward when I attach it to my EPA100.

I must repeat though that the phono stage in the Luxman 509X is excellent and super quiet but as I run two TT's currently (had 3 before)it was a real pain having to constantly change the phono cable which was the real motivator for me to get the MF Vinyl.  I tried the new Graham Slee phono some time ago which had great reviews but I preferred the Luxman in-built! As Hydrology mentioned, you save on the cables too with the Luxman in-built and reduce signal degradation. I will try the new Wild LP when I get it with the Luxman in built and report back

• Like 2

Guest DarkNark
11 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Hi Dave,

Well 9 months on, I still have the 509X and to me it is sounding better than ever!......

Well thats a good sign. ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

l myself have seen and heard this amplifier in a shop demo and what the OP says is true- you have to stare at it and it's construction, stunning! Also is the sound probably the smoothest transistor amplifier l have heard and a beautiful, refined 3D soundstage.:)

Lovely sounding amplifier.