I have a Holo Spring Dac and has I2s input.

The soucres I have used are as below:

Oppo 105 Xlr Out

Oppo 105 Spdif out

Sonore Rendu Network Player I2s Hdmi out

Sonore Signature Rendu I2sHdmi out

Oppo 203 I2s Hdmi out

This all started with trying Oppo 105 Spdif coax into Holo. I was surprised how much better coax sounded

compared to the Saber dac , I knew if I could get I2s out of the Oppo, so after a lot of google looking I asked

Jae Hong Lee from Oppomod if he could give me schematics  but after quite a few messages on Diy Audio

Forum I asked if he would make this board for and it took about 5 months for him to have it ready for me to try.

Here is pic below.

@ghost4man @djb @jamesg11 @evil c @buddyev @Addicted to music @scumbag @maxdc @Black Orange

IMG_7663.JPG

Edited by gonefishing999
  • Like 4

Guest scumbag
15 minutes ago, gonefishing999 said:

I have a Holo Spring Dac and has I2s input.

The soucres I have used are as below:

Oppo 105 Xlr Out

Oppo 105 Spdif out

Sonore Rendu Network Player I2s Hdmi out

Sonore Signature Rendu I2sHdmi out

Oppo 203 I2s Hdmi out

This all started with trying Oppo 105 Spdif coax into Holo. I was surprised how much better coax sounded

compared to the Saber dac , I knew if I could get I2s out of the Oppo, so after a lot of google looking I asked

Jae Hong Lee from Oppomod if he could give me schematics  but after quite a few messages on Diy Audio

Forum I asked if he would make this board for and it took about 5 months for him to have it ready for me to try.

Here is pic below.

@ghost4man @djb @jamesg11 @evil c @buddyev @Addicted to music @scumbag @maxdc

IMG_7663.JPG

And the verdict??

I was extremely happy with SSR and thought I might be able get better results

with Oppo so the results are below, it has taken me a lot of time comparing SSR and Oppo

get up change hdmi from one to other but upon listening the difference was significant.

I didn't want to do this post until I could put into words what I was hearing so this morning

I sat down and wrote down what I heard.

SSR compared to Oppo drums sounded muffled,further back, recessed.

Oppo the drums are more forward clean ,clear ,distinctly hitting skins, more punch dynamic.

Over the sound is cleaner, clearer, better separation between instruments and voices, cymbals

go much higher.The total sound is more realistic .

• Like 1

Have you auditioned the difference between:

Oppo connected via SPDIF to the Holo  VS    SSR connected via I2S to the Holo

It would also be interesting to audition:

Oppo connected via I2S to the Holo  VS    SSR connected via SPDIF to the Holo

Assuming you have remote input switching on the Holo, then you could set up an audition where you can cue up the same track on both sources, and the remotely switch.    Do make very sure that the SPL output from each is the same (you will need to do better than matching them by ear).

The reason that I ask, is that it may be that the I2S implementation on either that is leading to the obvious sound difference.   From what I can read about the Holo DAC implementation, it would be especially sensitive to these things.   I2S can be incredibly shaky ground at the best of times for getting acceptable performance.

4 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Have you auditioned the difference between:

Oppo connected via SPDIF to the Holo  VS    SSR connected via I2S to the Holo

Yes I have done this there is no comparison SSR much better.

5 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Assuming you have remote input switching on the Holo

No remote switch all manual,no remote for Holo.

8 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I2S can be incredibly shaky ground at the best of times for getting acceptable performance.

I showed Jae Hong Lee following pic that this is the I2s output I wanted which he has done.

image.png.8d8082579cec91eb347233fed962011b.png

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

Does it make any difference whether I2S or SPDIF?

Both SSR and Oppo using I2s have improved sound stage producing depth, image, air, decay and seperation of instruments.

Spdif has none these qualities.

Edited by gonefishing999
  • Like 1

Second mod I have done to the Oppo is replace the main board clock.

I2s uses the the from the source player so the better the clock the better the sound will be.

The sound before installing the clock was bright in upper mid and top end and had a bit of bite to it.

Once I removed the clock and putting in Oppomod TCOX it sound is the best my system has ever sounded.

I was quite excited so started  going through a lot of ripped cd's to hear how incredible they sounded now.

IMG_7765.JPG

• Like 2

Yes,  this is my plan to change the clock as well. 

I have good results in modding my dac with the crystek cchd-957 series clock which you may like to consider. 

You can buy from mouser. 

For the PS,  I have some TPS7A4700 module from ebay

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/TPS7A4700-Low-Noise-RF-Power-Supply-Module-DC-3V-3-3V-5V-12V-15V-1A-Adjustable/332444010447?hash=item4d673507cf%3Ag%3Am94AAOSwyi1a0ckW&_nkw=TPS7A4700&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m4084.l1313

Need to buy the 25MHz and 27MHz clock, if Im just using hdmi 2 for audio,  do I need to replace both clock? 

The clock is surface Mount,  have you source any SM board/adaptor to mount the clock? 

Guest scumbag
15 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I’d like to experiment but at this point in time I do not have i2s devices.

It would be great if you could borrow a Direct Stream or DSJ. I2S into the Directstream is amazing. 

• 4 months later...

A few people have PM me as to how I use Oppo as a streamer.

First I was using a Qnap nas with Minimsrever , Bubbleupnp server ,

Ipad with Linn Kazoo.

Kazzo looks for Rooms "openhome" servers so bubbleupnp will find

Upnp Oppo when selected you can select to make it Openhome so Kazoo can find

Oppo.

Kazoo can play Tidal .

I found Qnap and bubbleupnp very flaky, so I have an Intel Nuc Win 10 with Minimsrever , Bubbleupnp server

installed work like a dream no more problems. Hookup  Nuc Wifi cat6 to Oppo or Wifi will do.

The Intel Nuc was chosen as it has a 12v dc supply so linear power supply can be used an no internal PS.

Nuc I use is an I5 4 Gen 4Gb ram 120 Gb msolt and 2.5 3Tb. NO usb as this will degrade sound. My option only many might think differently.

@ghost4man is using same setup as me his Nuc is a Celeron 7Gen 1 min to boot  thats all other wise no difference to my I5.

Nuc can boot with Minimsrever , Bubbleupnp server if these are added to start menu. Just hit power button no monitor required to start streaming.

You can use Roon but have not tried it.

Edited by gonefishing999

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2018 at 2:43 AM, gonefishing999 said:

Both SSR and Oppo using I2s have improved sound stage producing depth, image, air, decay and seperation of instruments.

Spdif has none these qualities.

I use the VanityHD with an Oppo 103 to feed a DAC via Coax, but am very interested in adding Dr. Lee’s I2S board if possible. I wonder if the mods are mutually exclusive, or if they can both be implemented in the same unit.  

5 hours ago, gonefishing999 said:

@Mjay   Yes it will work fine, the ribbon cable out of Oppo main board goes to I2s board then another ribbon cable

runs to VanityHD board.

Peter

Excellent. Thank you, Peter.