Denon x1400h and Sony X90F Bravia Sync (CEC/ARC) issue

Hi all,

I have a Denon x1400h AVR and a recently purchased Sony 65" X90F.

Both devices are compatible with HDMI ARC but I can't for the life of me get any sound to my AVR from the TV over HDMI..

I've gone through the obvious configurations that need to be adjusted and to my eye, it looks OK.

AVR has Control for HDMI on (which then defaults ARC to on).It's then set to 'TV Audio' when I'm expecting sound to come from the TV.

The TV itself doesn't have many options... The speakers are set to 'Audio System' rather than 'TV Speakers' and 'Bravia Sync' (which I'm told is Sony's name for HDMI-CEC) is also on.

However when I go to the list of Bravia Sync devices, my Denon AVR does not show. 'No compatible HDMI devices found'... Clicking the enable button seemingly sends out a message over HDMI but doesn't result in anything.

I've done quite a bit of googling, and initially convinced myself that it was my HDMI cable at fault (too old). I've since replaced it with a HDMI 2.0 cable that specifically says it supports ARC but I still can't get it working.

For what it's worth - I can get audio to output via Optical without a problem, but then I miss out on the AVR auto-on functionality and volume control via the TV remote.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? It's really frustrating :(

Thanks in advance :) 

Okay, I had my own issues with a Sony X90E and a Denon X4100 trying to use the ARC for audio; it worked fine but was not stable and the TV kept reverting to the TV speakers so I went to optical for TV audio and disables ALL CEC functions.

Make sure that you have the HDMI cable plugged into the ARC HDMI input on the TV, mine is HDMI #3.

Not sure on the menu of the Denon X1400 as I had an X2200, have an X4100 and an X4300 however, you have to assign the inputs for TV audio, it may not be assigned as ARC by default, especially if you are using optical okay at the moment.

If all of this is okay and you still have an issue, I'm not sure.

21 minutes ago, Mikeyday said:

TV audio, it may not be assigned as ARC by default,

Actually, I checked the Denon and if you have "TV audio switching" in the HDMI control set to "on" it does automatically set ARC for audio if it gets a signal.

Thanks for the response Mikeyday,

The HDMI cable is connected to the ARC HDMI port on the TV, which for the X90F is also HDMI #3.

On the AVR, the only options within 'Input Assign' for TV Audio are OPT1, OPT2 or - ... There is no ARC option persay.

I set it to OPT1 to have it work with the Optical cable. I've tried the default and '-' when trying to receive audio over HDMI but no luck.

Do you know if when ARC was working for you, the Denon X4100 was listed as a device under 'Bravia Sync devices' on the TV?

I'm not sure if it has to be listed there for the TV to even try outputting audio via HDMI... i.e I'm not convinced the audio is making it to the AVR, so I don't know if any AVR setting will fix it, I feel it could be a TV setting that's no working correctly.

Cheers!

Edited by Memph
Typos

4 minutes ago, Mikeyday said:

Actually, I checked the Denon and if you have "TV audio switching" in the HDMI control set to "on" it does automatically set ARC for audio if it gets a signal.

Yeah I read that too. Implying there is no signal reaching the AVR. I'm not convinced the TV is outputting an audio signal over HDMI at all. :(

Edit: TV Audio Switching is set to ON by the way.

Edited by Memph

I was recently talking to a service technician/complaints handler for an organisation I won't mention the name of and he said that they had a lot of complaints regarding the HDMI CEC from the latest Sony TVs into several of the receivers that he represents.

I wouldn't give up just yet (although I did after a couple days) Just because you set the TV is set to audio system means absolutely nothing so I found!! If using CEC and there is the slightest handshake issue the TV will revert to TV speakers.

If you are not able to select ARC on the Denon input, something may not be setup quite right. Although these are slightly different models, I will run through the process here and see what I get as I am sure that when you enable CEC, you get the option of Opt1, Opt2 or ARC regardless of the signal (I could be wrong).

Interesting.

I don't want to give up! I really like the idea of AVR auto-on, auto TV Audio switching and volume control through the TV remote! I've only had the TV for a few days and already dislike the multiple remote controls :(

I'm pretty sure all of my fiddling was while HDMI Control was set to ON on the AVR, and while that's the case, I'm pretty sure there is no ARC option under digital input next to TV Audio in the input assign section.

I'll double check after work tonight.

50 minutes ago, Memph said:

no ARC option under digital input

No, you are correct, I just checked my 2 units and there will be an "X" under HDMI when you set it HDMI control and you will still have the optical inputs as digital options (although I also have coax), ARC is not an option under digital but rather just the X for the HDMI connection.

Try with no digital source assigned, as in "-"

I have no issue with ARC working, it was just that it was a pita with the handshake issues and randomly reverting to TV speakers and disabling ARC at start up when the TV felt like it.

You were correct in being concerned regarding HDMI cables, I recently helped someone setup a soundbar system and couldn't get HDMI ARC working although the CEC worked to control on/of, volume and such. It turned out to be an old HDMI cable that wasn't compatible. $4 later at Officeworks solved the problem. (I am not recommending this cable) 

After you try for a couple days and get tired of the problems (unless you do succeed) I recommend sticking with optical for TV and go out and buy a universal remote, depending on the other equipment that you have, a $69 Harmony 650 might be good enough.

Edited by Mikeyday
Spelling error

4 hours ago, Memph said:

I set it to OPT1 to have it work with the Optical cable. I've tried the default and '-' when trying to receive audio over HDMI but no luck.

Do you know if when ARC was working for you, the Denon X4100 was listed as a device under 'Bravia Sync devices' on the TV?

I didn't read this before, so you have tried "-".

And, yes, the Denon x4100 is listed under Bravia Sync devices.

It would be very unlikely but it could be a faulty or not compatible HDMI cable, unlikely because it is the second one that you tried but if all settings are okay, it seems possible.

Different scenario but I recently had an issue maintaining a stable audio connection (drop outs) between a Sony 4k player and the AVR, I tried several inputs and 1.5 metre 4k HDMI cables and eventually tried a longer one, it turns out that that combination of player and AVR didn't like 1.5 metre cables no matter the price yet a cheap 5 metre cable worked fine, go figure, I now have a 2 metre cable. Such is the nature of HDMI handshakes.

Can you borrow another cable to try?

I had another play with it over the weekend without success...

I don't have another cable I can try but down the track I will likely need another one anyway so I can buy a different one to test.

The current cable is also a 5m cable, maybe I'll buy a 2 or 3m one just to test.

Thanks for trying to help. Hopefully I can get it going :)

Guest thathifiguy

Won't the TV only pass through Dolby Digital anyway? I had so many headaches with HDMI-CEC regardless of brands, I just decided an optical cable was the answer.

Have been living a happy life since.

3 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

Won't the TV only pass through Dolby Digital anyway? I had so many headaches with HDMI-CEC regardless of brands, I just decided an optical cable was the answer.

Have been living a happy life since.

I was under the impression it would pass on whatever audio would otherwise be coming out of the TV speakers... i.e FTA TV audio

I'm currently using an optical cable, but some of the ARC/HDMI-CEC would make the experience a little nicer... Like AVR Auto-on, auto TV Audio switching and volume control via the TV remote.

Cheers,

Guest thathifiguy

I used to have a Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR and Sony BD Player and I agree, when it worked, it was great. Power up the player and everything would switch.

But the number of times I had to disconnect the mains in order to get them handshaking again after an issue was insane, just decided it wasn't worth it.

Popped in Optical and programmed my Logitech remote!

I must admit, I've been looking in to Harmony remotes and although I probably only need a 650, I do like the look of the Ultimate One... I like the minimal look with screen rather than a squillion buttons.

If a new cable doesn't fix my issue, the above is a possibility.

Edit: That said, I actually really like the Sony remote my TV came with so it'd be an ideal result to get ARC working... :(

Edited by Memph