Is my computer "Terrminal?"

My old faithful, (mostly) workhorse PC has decided to stop cooperating!

Things are fine, mostly - however I no longer can start up emails, internet, Logitech Media Server, Bitdefender anti virus, open pictures up from file.

Probably doesn't leave a lot, I know!

My question is: Do I go off my geek son's advice and wipe the slate clean and either salvage or replace?

Or is there some remote way of restoring functionality? :unsure:

My PC BTW is an Intel i5 760 @280Ghz with 8G RAM.

I have attached a few pics of the notification windows, if anyone thinks they can advise how to fix - or open to someone locally in Melbourne coming to repair. 

Gratuities by way of bottles of quality wine or cash if preferred.

(please assume I know less than a tech savvy 5 year old) :P

20180731_141608.jpg

20180731_141739.jpg

Guest yamaha_man
47 minutes ago, evil c said:

I despise apple ! emoji51.png

Had my Apple over 5 years, l turn it on and it boots up ready for use in under 10 seconds, same when l turn it off.

It has locked up once in over 5 years.

My last IBM took minutes to boot up and shut down and as for locking up....... DAILY!!!!!

I can see why you would "despise Apple", I'm just a slow learner I guess.

Edited by yamaha_man

It's not that old a computer do a fresh install of windows you might lose your data but thats the price you pay unless you've been backing up.

Windows OS I found tends to shiit itself every couple of years a fresh install and you're off again.

Or buy an Apple but even Apple aren't perfect they're just a bit better. 

• Like 2

G'day Clive

Hardware sounds fine.

Remove the drive

Plug it into another PC and recover what you can

Re format drive (better still replace with a solid state drive) and boot from disk a fresh new OP System, would be due if you have had it running for a few years, you won't look back.

Going to a solid drive will rival the Apple start up times or best them.

Yea go the Geek kid.

(Ignore the Apple brigade)

Edit, Anti Virus is optional these days, personally never used it, then again I'm a Geek and avoid clicking on .exe files or opening dubious files locally.

Edited by musicmc
  • Like 2

@LogicprObe

No need for Apple solutions.

You could get rid of some of the aftermarket software intended to protect; a lot of it is bloatware and the harms are well covered by Microsoft innate to their off-the-shelf software nowadays. It tends to be older computer users who remember XP who are the buyers of these products. (No offence, I'm in that group too). If you are running Windows 10 you have swapped external security issues for Microsoft's calling home with your data, and their rental model, anyway.

As others have said, hire a geek to reload the operating system and to cull some of your startup.

• Like 1

Of course I would imagine you have owned one then.?[emoji21]
Nah just don't like the operating system.
Just don't want to be going down that path and not keen on expending much.
Few big recent acquisitions!

Thanks for the replies guys - will try and sort something.
  • Like 1

Out of interest, Live Mail and Outlook are dinosaurs that invite problems/virus , might be an idea to go to W10 and try a different Email arrangement.

My Live Mail dropped dead yesterday, now running an external provider mail point not local to my PC, let them deal with the bugs

Guest yamaha_man
2 hours ago, evil c said:

I despise apple ! emoji51.png

19 minutes ago, rantan said:

Of course I would imagine you have owned one then.??

The only thing the Cretin despises is pulling out the extra cash to buy an Apple.

The only thing the Cretin despises is pulling out the extra cash to buy an Apple.
Yeah hate wasting cash I could be redirecting to more important things ! [emoji53]

3 minutes ago, evil c said:

Yeah hate wasting cash I could be redirecting to more important things ! emoji53.png

go on ... you know you want too.. have a bite.... 

Adam-and-Eve.1.jpg

ps I struggle each day with a work lap top....

I SO wish it were an apple.... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest yamaha_man
3 minutes ago, evil c said:

Yeah hate wasting cash I could be redirecting to more important things ! emoji53.png

That’s spot on!

Like a PC that’s unreliable!

Get over to Port Melbourne, got some windows for you to clean, oops, that’s right, too far for you to travel. ?

Guest yamaha_man
4 minutes ago, evil c said:

I spent all my dosh on a home theatre setup and new heater.
Anyone got a good nick apple pc they can donate to poor hard up evil? emoji22.png

Need cash? Come clean our windows!

22 minutes ago, :) al said:

go on ... you know you want too.. have a bite.... 

Adam-and-Eve.1.jpg

ps I struggle each day with a work lap top....

I SO wish it were an apple.... :D

I have both, a Lenovo x240 that’s around 7yrs old running win 7 for work!  Slowest bugger, can’t stand the thing!   

They gave us a iPad so they can run there management application and GPS tracking.   Guess which I prefer?  The iPad never gets turned off!  Now that saids a lot.  It’s always in use, for manuals and logging into that application so they can regulate work!   I may have to power down once in a blue moon but that’s rare! For a tablet! 

The Apple Mac Pro was the same, just shut the lid, never powered down, when opening the lid, type the passcode and it’s exactly how you left off!   Never have to start Windows, and it preserves battery reserve unlike the Lenovo....  

infact I get on SNA on the iPads 99% of the time, it’s 4yrs old and it gets worked 60-70 of 24hrs even on w/ends.  

Work also run those dreaded Surface Pros and the feedback is don’t go there!   A few collegues who were dedicated PC bought Mac minis, they will never go PC!   The MacBook pros are expensive, however you’ll never look back!    Don’t worry about the Apple brigade???    Have anyone that said that tried a Apple!  Once you do you won’t turn back.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Don’t worry about the Apple brigade???

Only say that because I had a problem with a very expensive Apple Laptop the, the secrecy and hidden agenda surrounding the thing was madness (making a lot of money) the cost of a new drive, having OS uploaded all done behind close doors, etc.

Good while working, hardware and IOS is great, but other things I personally wasn't keen on.

New Drive and OS the old girl will live again, cost little and done probably by the kids at home.

Have seen in a few Forums now, times someone wants help with a Windows based PC and always the Apple brigade chime in, sorry but it's just something I see, regularly. Yea, possibly warranted but well and truly :offtopic:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, musicmc said:

Only say that because I had a problem with a very expensive Apple Laptop the, the secrecy and hidden agenda surrounding the thing was madness (making a lot of money) the cost of a new drive, having OS uploaded all done behind close doors, etc.

Good while working, hardware and IOS is great, but other things I personally wasn't keen on.

New Drive and OS the old girl will live again, cost little and done probably by the kids at home.

Have seen in a few Forums now, times someone wants help with a Windows based PC and always the Apple brigade chime in, sorry but it's just something I see, regularly. Yea, possibly warranted but well and truly :offtopic:

Yep, get screwed either way, you just pray nothing goes wrong, understand exactly how you feel.  I had a Apple MacBook Pro that’s top of the line over the counter developed some white patches on several location on the screen,  not cheap!  $1170 to replace including labour, luckily I bough the 3yr warranty, and when you take it in the 1st thing they do is inspect for physical damage to void the warranty, luckily the Genious goes it’s like brand new out of the box!    I know it won’t happen for free now it’s over 5yrs and my daughter has it for her university and she’s dinted the corner by dropping!  Anything to do with a MacBook Pro isn’t cheap to replace.  That stupid touch bar is $1800!  What were they thinking!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, musicmc said:

The Apple hardware is just so nice though. Especially around good looking audio gear.

They have some of the best screens for Graphic Arts...  but in saying that the MacBook Pros are fragile...  just like anything they must be looked after and treated as fragile.  A lot of Print places use them too and usually regard it as reference.

The issue I believe is the memory cards and their positioning in slots.

turn power off, locate your 8gb memory sockets and cards, my bet is they have possibly come loose , OR

you have recently placed more memory into that PC and not allocated the cards correctly, or the

memory allocation is too large for the operating system ( see below for suggestion ) .

Some computers are fussy with which memory card occupies which slot , and will default saying you have no memory

suggest you look up about what type of memory card you should have, and how it is installed for your computer,

which is usually just opening the end clasps and inserting the card.  there are many differences in types of memory card

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

as for operating systems the default has to be Linux Mint or many other Linux versions 

but Mint is a great choice      http://www.linuxmint.com      ... nonsense free, it just works

• Like 2