New Ultra Short Throw Projectors

45 minutes ago, Owen said:

First, don't pay any attention to contrast and lumen "specs" for DLP based projectors or no name brands as the manufacturers straight up lie to sell more units to the gullibly consumer who buys on specs and doesn't do their homework.

There are now no quality home cinema DLP projectors left on the market where once they where common, DLP technology became obsolete for quality home cinema applications about 10 years ago, LCoS now totally dominates for good reason. 

Its great that consumers have a range of products to choose from as each consumer has their own individual needs, wants and budget, because of that no single type of product can be "best" for everyone.

I have seen your posts on the other JVC thread and I agreed with some of your points there about 4K, so I will address this post.  I agree about manufacturers' exaggerating their numbers and performances, JVC and Sony included.  Everybody does this as they have their own methods to get the numbers they want in order to market better.  Car manufacturers do this too.  I don't think anyone is surprised by the BS of a lot of these numbers, that's why reading from several sources helps including owners' feedback.  Once upon a time JVC and many Japanese brands were no-names too.  Some went as far as to call them Jap-crap.  Times have changed because some of us chose to be open minded and let technology develop, like right now ?

Secondly, DLP has been used by movie theaters for decades and no LCOS has never dominated the projectors' market, this is still filled by DLP.  Nobody cares whether LCOS, DLP or LCD is the greatest, they still get their arses kicked by TV technology anyway.  Let's move on as this debate has no merit anymore.

Thirdly, consumers' money speaks the loudest.  If DLP is the driving force behind the popularity of projectors these days then LCOS needs to do a better job of innovating and developing better technology to compete.  The irony is that JVC's answer to DLP is the LX-UH1 ? 

Edited by GAARA

55 minutes ago, GAARA said:

Times have changed because some of us chose to be open minded and let technology develop, like right now ?

What technology would that be? All the high end 3 chip home cinema DLP projectors are no longer in production and the low end single chip models that remain have gone backwards in performance dramatically compared to 6 or more years ago.

1 hour ago, GAARA said:

Secondly, DLP has been used by movie theaters for decades and no LCOS has never dominated the projectors' market, this is still filled by DLP.

The DLP projectors that are used in cinemas use 3 MASSIVE DMD chips and display all colours simultaneously, just like LCoS home cinema projectors.

The ONLY reason DLP is used in cinemas is because its the most light efficient. For a massive cinema screen projector light output is of PRIME importance above all other considerations.

The DLP cinema projectors have less than 2,000:1 contrast and the manufacturers of them like Barco freely admit this fact, its a fundamental limitation of DLP tech. The images they provide are in no way comparable to JVC and Sony LCoS home cinema projectors, thats why I and many others stopped going to cinemas many years ago, the picture at home is just SO much better its silly

Sony have long made SXRD cinema projectors that offer much better performance than DLP can provide. In fact the first 4K cinema projectors where Sony's.

Its not what "dominates" in number its what dominates in PERFORMANCE.  LCD "dominates" the TV world in number but LCD performance sucks and always has.

If number of units sold is any indication of whats good OLED must be crap because thousands of LCD TV's are sold for every OLED.

1 hour ago, GAARA said:

Nobody cares whether LCOS, DLP or LCD is the greatest, they still get their arses kicked by TV technology anyway. 

Nobody cares? Actually many of the people in this forum care a lot, which is why people who can afford it don't use DLP or LCD based projectors or want to view movies on ANY TV. I wouldn't watch a movie on a TV if you paid me, I have actively avoided doing so for over 7 years because TV's just don't cut it in any way shape or form for movie viewing.

Face it mate you are in the wrong forum, go over to the Whirlpool forum its more "consumer" oriented, you will probably get a better reception there.

If you want to get your arse handed to you post what you have here in the AVS high end projector forum, your assertion that a DLP UST projector is in any way competitive will get an "interesting" response.

Here is a link to assist you in your "education".

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/

I find it amusing that you say TV's are so superior to projectors yet here you are going on about how great UST DLP projectors are, even though they are among the worst performing projectors on the market. 

4 hours ago, GAARA said:

I have seen your posts on the other JVC thread and I agreed with some of your points there about 4K, so I will address this post.  I agree about manufacturers' exaggerating their numbers and performances, JVC and Sony included.  Everybody does this as they have their own methods to get the numbers they want in order to market better.  Car manufacturers do this too.  I don't think anyone is surprised by the BS of a lot of these numbers, that's why reading from several sources helps including owners' feedback.  Once upon a time JVC and many Japanese brands were no-names too.  Some went as far as to call them Jap-crap.  Times have changed because some of us chose to be open minded and let technology develop, like right now ?

Secondly, DLP has been used by movie theaters for decades and no LCOS has never dominated the projectors' market, this is still filled by DLP.  Nobody cares whether LCOS, DLP or LCD is the greatest, they still get their arses kicked by TV technology anyway.  Let's move on as this debate has no merit anymore.

Thirdly, consumers' money speaks the loudest.  If DLP is the driving force behind the popularity of projectors these days then LCOS needs to do a better job of innovating and developing better technology to compete.  The irony is that JVC's answer to DLP is the LX-UH1 ? 

100" OLED lol

20180822_015529.jpg

Things are never so simple as they seem.   While I have given up on DLP myself,  there are some things that DLP does very well that may have gone unnoticed to those who have not lived with it recently.

1. Contrast - yes modern LCOS has it all over DLP for overall ON/OFF contrast ratios and the pictures do show it up to a point.  However DLP  has superior ANSI contrast levels to LCOS  ( over double) and in a number of scenes  the images "pop" more with DLP , despite the overall contrast ratio differences.     It is true that vastly superior On/Off contrast ratio does have a more positive  impact than Ansi particularly in darkened rooms,  but better  Ansi does have its advantages. Add ambient light into the mix and Ansi seems to handle it better.    I'm not saying the over-all image will necessarily be better. I am saying you cannot assume  what the projector will look like in those conditions until you have actually had the opportunity to study it properly.   People can argue theoretically about these things until the cows come home but  you really have to have lived with these technologies to get a good sense of their limitations.  

2.  Single Chip DLP has zero convergence issues and the images are visibly ultra stable .   There has been a lot of talk about RBE ( by non DLP owners)  but the incidence of people actually  experiencing difficulties with RBE  has been exceedingly rare for modern DLP projectors.  I think  more people would be sensitive to  E-shift  artefacts and degradation.

I say this because the thread was started by the Op  asking about UST projector selection, not  which is the best home cinema format in a darkened room.  

17 hours ago, Owen said:

Its great that consumers have a range of products to choose from as each consumer has their own individual needs, wants and budget, because of that no single type of product can be "best" for everyone.

It's funny, after all the disparaging stuff that you wrote about everything you come out with this cop out, which could have effectively let this one-up crap be bygones be bygones, but no you had to come out with more one sided opinions that doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Let me remind you of how this thread progressed:

1. OP wanted to know if anyone, who is ACTUALLY KNOWLEDGEABLE, knows about the status of cheap Full HD/4k laser projectors available now or in the near future (this is not a JVC thread so maybe someone else who can actually share GOOD KNOWLEDGE about the subject).

2. Blybo comes out with negative crap ranging from USTs are gimmick, data-only crap that's not worthy of discussion (this is not a JVC thread).

3. YOU coming in and trying to throw more sludge instead of answering the question (this is not a JVC thread).

4. People like myself coming in here trying to find out why this has become something against JVC and their fanboys (why did this turn into a JVC thread?)

I don't want to be drawn this into a JVC vs everything else issue anymore than I have to, but I have to respond to perhaps one of the most aloft and self denial post I've ever seen. 

The DLP projectors that are used in cinemas... 

The ONLY reason DLP is used in cinemas...

Done.  My point was made so there's little to debate other than that DLP has been and still is the most popular choice among consumers.  It's not up to you or I to decide whether they're right or wrong, even your little cop-out supports this.

Sony have long made SXRD cinema projectors that offer much better performance than DLP can provide. In fact the first 4K cinema projectors where Sony's.

What does this fact have to do with USTs other than it's the same company that produced many USTs, including the one I presented to BLYBO because he didn't believe there could ever be a UST that could be better than his much cheaper JVC.

Its not what "dominates" in number its what dominates in PERFORMANCE.  LCD "dominates" the TV world in number but LCD performance sucks and always has.

If number of units sold is any indication of whats good OLED must be crap because thousands of LCD TV's are sold for every OLED.

LCD was part of the TV evolution that progressed from CRT then was replaced by LED and OLED and soon microLED, so it's TV EVOLUTION that dominated the consumer space, not just LCD.  Projectors at the time were overpriced and even worst back then in comparison, see anyone buy old crap stuff like Barco anymore?  The reason why I brought this point up is that no matter how much the JVC fanboys can spin things, they are still projectors, and therefore they are subjected to the same weaknesses as every other projector ever built.  You will never match the delicious blacks nor the brightness and vibrancy of OLED during the day or night, and you will never be able to match the utility of TV screens ported over so many different applications in life.  We all know this and have dealt with it... maybe not all ?

Nobody cares? Actually many of the people in this forum care a lot, 

That TV has always been better than projectors?  That to me is an ego problem, not a logistic one.  

Face it mate you are in the wrong forum, go over to the Whirlpool forum its more "consumer" oriented, you will probably get a better reception there.

Have I ever mentioned that this is not a JVC thread or forum?  It's obvious you're not an expert on all projectors, but maybe others can share information, pictures or results to support the topic, not spread the kind of disparaging comments that you posted that certainly didn't help anyone.  And no, I don't think I was handed my arse anything, that was BLYBO.

I find it amusing that you say TV's are so superior to projectors yet here you are going on about how great UST DLP projectors are, even though they are among the worst performing projectors on the market. 

My point was that you have a projector and I have a projector, but they're still crap compared to the best TVs.  Even the $18k Sony UST that I mentioned, but of course you and BLYBO are not going to address that because it is a TERRIBLE UST ? 

Other worst performing projectors on the market?  The $10k++ stuff that probably you and armchair experts recommended 10-15 years ago, they're crap because nobody would ever buy them over current projectors. 

Otherwise know anything about current and future 4K UST projectors? Then share them please ? 

Edited by GAARA

4 hours ago, Tasso said:

Things are never so simple as they seem.   While I have given up on DLP myself,  there are some things that DLP does very well that may have gone unnoticed to those who have not lived with it recently.

1. Contrast - yes modern LCOS has it all over DLP for overall ON/OFF contrast ratios and the pictures do show it up to a point.  However DLP  has superior ANSI contrast levels to LCOS  ( over double) and in a number of scenes  the images "pop" more with DLP , despite the overall contrast ratio differences.     It is true that vastly superior On/Off contrast ratio does have a more positive  impact than Ansi particularly in darkened rooms,  but better  Ansi does have its advantages. Add ambient light into the mix and Ansi seems to handle it better.    I'm not saying the over-all image will necessarily be better. I am saying you cannot assume  what the projector will look like in those conditions until you have actually had the opportunity to study it properly.   People can argue theoretically about these things until the cows come home but  you really have to have lived with these technologies to get a good sense of their limitations.  

2.  Single Chip DLP has zero convergence issues and the images are visibly ultra stable .   There has been a lot of talk about RBE ( by non DLP owners)  but the incidence of people actually  experiencing difficulties with RBE  has been exceedingly rare for modern DLP projectors.  I think  more people would be sensitive to  E-shift  artefacts and degradation.

I say this because the thread was started by the Op  asking about UST projector selection, not  which is the best home cinema format in a darkened room.  

I think anyone who has looked at projectors long enough had already decided on how much they can tolerate.  For me, being in a completely dark room with bright lights beaming out at me for several hours does wonders to my eyes and head (ie. not good which I'm sure many others would not be able to tolerate either).  So I couldn't care less what technology USTs rely on as long as I can get a decently projected image on a wall.  Yes, it goes against the grain of what projectors are capable off, but with actual progress being made it is very possible.  The thing that is holding everything back is the lack or TRUE 4K and currently expensive pixel shifting 4K alternatives.  

@GAARA Firstly please stop shouting my name, and please stop making disparaging personal remarks.

This thread started because of the lack of UST projectors available in Oz. Do you live in Oz? Do you know the local scene here and for medium to hi end home theatre use how dominated it is by JVC? There is a good reason for that and has zero to do with all the shouting you are doing. Simply when viewed side by side with other brands in a home theatre environment, they leave other brands, including more expensive Sony's in their wake, even though they are not native 4k!

Most projector users here who do not already own JVC's or the even more expensive Sony's, is only due to the higher prices of these machines starting at around $5000 AUD for the cheapest JVC. These 2 brands are widely recognised as the best home cinema projector makers, and most prefer the JVC to the Sony's in a side by side comparison.

I'm not technical enough to quote stats and specs but many here that I trust are... and I've never, ever heard of a UST projector recommended, at any price or from any manufacturer for home theatre use in this country. However, I can see why the OP thought they might be best FOR HIS APPLICATION, but that application is very far removed from common use in Australia.

You have now had several people tell you that you are barking up the wrong tree... I think it best this thread is now closed as you seem to not be able to fathom what does not agree with your own views, in a different country and culture completely.

8 minutes ago, blybo said:

@GAARA Firstly please stop shouting my name, and please stop making disparaging personal remarks.

This thread started because of the lack of UST projectors available in Oz. Do you live in Oz? Do you know the local scene here and for medium to hi end home theatre use how dominated it is by JVC? There is a good reason for that and has zero to do with all the shouting you are doing. Simply when viewed side by side with other brands in a home theatre environment, they leave other brands, including more expensive Sony's in their wake, even though they are not native 4k!

Most projector users here who do not already own JVC's or the even more expensive Sony's, is only due to the higher prices of these machines starting at around $5000 AUD for the cheapest JVC. These 2 brands are widely recognised as the best home cinema projector makers, and most prefer the JVC to the Sony's in a side by side comparison.

I'm not technical enough to quote stats and specs but many here that I trust are... and I've never, ever heard of a UST projector recommended, at any price or from any manufacturer for home theatre use in this country. However, I can see why the OP thought they might be best FOR HIS APPLICATION, but that application is very far removed from common use in Australia.

You have now had several people tell you that you are barking up the wrong tree... I think it best this thread is now closed as you seem to not be able to fathom what does not agree with your own views, in a different country and culture completely.

Please stop, you fell out of the debate on page 1, if there is nothing that you can add then please go elsewhere.

16 hours ago, GAARA said:

Please stop, you fell out of the debate on page 1, if there is nothing that you can add then please go elsewhere.

No you just stopped listening/reading. You debate like Donald Trump, he who yells the loudest is right... regardless of facts or what others (about 4 I believe) say.

Ciao Ciao I'm blocking you for my own piece of mind.

On 23/08/2018 at 8:05 AM, blybo said:

No you just stopped listening/reading. You debate like Donald Trump, he who yells the loudest is right... regardless of facts or what others (about 4 I believe) say.

Ciao Ciao I'm blocking you for my own piece of mind.

You questioned whether there was a UST as good or better than your JVC and I provided that information (which soundly beats the JVC on everything on paper which is not surprising given the cost).  I'm sorry that you were not able to deal with the outcome, so you need to re-evaluate your opinions rather than this online tantrum that you're showing.  Nevertheless, thank you for your time ?

Edited by GAARA

all you guys should be shot.. Imikey made 2 posts? on the first page.. Deees replied with 1 post that had relevance to the op's question and then it was on by those that seem to forget what the member was interested in buying and using. at least Dees has a pj related to the question. no wonder these members have not returned to this thread.

this forum does not say ONLY FOR THE ELITE..it was sad for a lot of us dts forum members when that folded. whirlpool is a great place to go without copping a belting but please dont talk about it as if some how they are a lower class of people than you are.

i cant see this thread has become about 2 or 3 forms of projector tech that do not relate to the original op question.. MODS? anywhere? most posts should be deleted which i thought would be under "relevance"

i dont know much about UHD pjs but then i run a couple of "those" entry dlp pjs. when i researched before i bought i posted on dts/whirlpool forums and had  great responses. hate to try on this forum, best of luck to the op

Edited by hopefullguy
  • Like 1

Just an update for UST Projector enthusiasts regarding 3 new UST TV models being released tomorrow in China. These projectors from JMGO, the U1, X3 and S3 are TV replacements, with everything current Tv's have being onboard the projector, including Harman Kardon speakers. These are apparently faux 4k dual dmd pixelshift projectors, but information online is scarce at the moment. International models will be released later in the year. Pricing for the Chinese only models is approx $2000 USD from what ive seen but the higher lumens models might be more. 

If someone wants to create a new thread about these models,  feel free to do so,  otherwise we can carry on here. 

Would love more information about these models,  so please post information. Other Chinese companies like XGIMI are also releasing new lines of TV replacement UST Laser projectors. Hope 2018 is the year of the UST :)

Edit: link below for latest update on these projectors. Some information may be inaccurate due to translation from Chinese marketing. Various sites have mentioned these are 4k pixelshift projectors, so I would ignore all full HD references.

http://www.myfirstprojector.com/jmgo-x3-highly-advanced-4k-projector/

Edited by iMikey
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, iMikey said:

Just an update for UST Projector enthusiasts regarding 3 new UST TV models being released tomorrow in China. These projectors from JMGO, the U1, X3 and S3 are TV replacements, with everything current Tv's have being onboard the projector, including Harman Kardon speakers. These are apparently faux 4k dual dmd pixelshift projectors, but information online is scarce at the moment. International models will be released later in the year. Pricing for the Chinese only models is approx $2000 USD from what ive seen but the higher lumens models might be more. 

If someone wants to create a new thread about these models,  feel free to do so,  otherwise we can carry on here. 

Would love more information about these models,  so please post information. Other Chinese companies like XGIMI are also releasing new lines of TV replacement UST Laser projectors. Hope 2018 is the year of the UST :)

Edit: link below for latest update on these projectors. Some information may be inaccurate due to translation from Chinese marketing. Various sites have mentioned these are 4k pixelshift projectors, so I would ignore all full HD references.

http://www.myfirstprojector.com/jmgo-x3-highly-advanced-4k-projector/

Thanks iMikey.  It's interesting that JMGO has decided to go with the UST form factor ? 

I have no doubt that Hisense will bring down their costs and XGIMI will come out with their own 4K (most likely faux) projectors.  Benq threw out a half-hearted challenge but it doesn't seem to have much of an impact in the Chinese market.  Optoma has a faux-4K projector but that's using long throw.  I think they, Acer, Viewsonic and Benq are a bit late to the game in this race but we'll see, it is exciting time in 2018 for USTs.

That article claimed that the U1 uses 2 DMD chipsets to produce 8.3 million pixels, is that right?  It's a very confusing article. They said that the S3 is expensive and "4K ready", but it also mentioned that it's still only a 1080p UST projector with 3000 lumens.

Correction: I think the X3 is not a UST but a standard long throw projector:

U1:

1535023533128032.png!0

1535011686869432.jpg!0

1535023500440378.png!0

X3:

1535023570574308.png!0

1535011628738684.jpg!0

Edited by GAARA

Hi GAARA,

Yes you are correct, apologies I didnt realise this. Today i found the U1 for sale in China for just 7999 Yuan, $1600 AUD. The specs say its 4k with 2000 ANSI lumens. If true, this is fantastic.

Here are some specs & photos i found.

• Brand: JmGo / Nut
  • Model: Nut 4K Laser TV U1
  • Technology: DLP technology
  • Zoom factor: fixed focus
  • Brightness: 2000ANSI lumens
  • Resolution (dpi): 3840x2160dpi
  • Contrast: 3001:1-4000:1
  • Screen ratio: 16:9
  • Package: Official standard
  • Light bulb type: laser light source
  • Video Effects: 2D 3D
  • Delivery screen size: 100 inches to 500 inches
  • Operating System: Android
  • Number of colors supported: 1.07 billion colors
  • Whether it can be hoisted: No
  • Display Technology: DLP
  • Best delivery distance: 4cm-46cm
  • Body size (cm): 45.4*36.6*14.1
  • Keystone correction range: ±40 degrees
  • Trapezoidal correction: vertical
  • Lamp power: 300W
  • Lamp life: 30,000 hours
  • Source: Youku Aiqiyi
  • Manufacturer: Shenzhen Huole Technology Development Co., Ltd.
  • Scaling ratio: 0.21:1
  • Applicable scene: Intelligent home theater High-end laser TV
  • Color classification: 4K ultra clear laser TV U1

8e57-hicsiaw1821332.jpg098e-hicsiaw1837404.jpgfa88-hicsiaw1840276.jpg1154-hicsiaw1842093.jpgf60f-hicsiaw1842857.jpg93a4-hicsiaw1846073.jpgfcd3-hicsiaw1850557.jpg9b4a-hicsiaw1852616.jpg

Edited by iMikey

On 28/08/2018 at 6:45 PM, iMikey said:

Today i found the U1 for sale in China for just 7999 Yuan, $1600 AUD. The specs say its 4k with 2000 ANSI lumens. If true, this is fantastic.

It would be good if there was some more info available of the particular  technology they use. Texas instruments make  different types of 4K chips including one based on a 1920 X 1080 chip that can put all the pixels into each 4K frame by flashing each pixel 4 times at high speed.  This new chip ( or a variation thereof)  is made specifically for laser sourced, high light output  projectors  with UST being one of the target applications.   Since the U1 is   claiming 4k resolution , it is most likely this chip which  is being used.    I haven't seen one in action,  but they are supposed to be capable of outstanding resolution. 

I think the right  CLR screen could make all the difference and i noticed that UST  packages are being sold as 4K TV's.    They are not cheap at $10k USD but the screen seems to be perfectly matched as well. 

55 minutes ago, Tasso said:

It would be good if there was some more info available of the particular  technology they use. Texas instruments make  different types of 4K chips including one based on a 1920 X 1080 chip that can put all the pixels into each 4K frame by flashing each pixel 4 times at high speed.  This new chip ( or a variation thereof)  is made specifically for laser sourced, high light output  projectors  with UST being one of the target applications.   Since the U1 is   claiming 4k resolution , it is most likely this chip which  is being used.    I haven't seen one in action,  but they are supposed to be capable of outstanding resolution. 

I think the right  CLR screen could make all the difference and i noticed that UST  packages are being sold as 4K TV's.    They are not cheap at $10k USD but the screen seems to be perfectly matched as well. 

Hi Tasso, I agree there needs to be more info, but seeing these are Chinese models,  info is limited. International versions and full information of these will be released in the coming months.  

From what I have seen in all the articles ive read, the 2 chips are 2716 x 1528 and it uses two phase pixel shifting. The projector splits the image into 2 images of 4.15 million pixels each. It then alternately displays the 2 images to display 8.3 million pixels. Don't quote me on this,  just stating what the articles say. 

In any event,  it's future is interesting.  The matching CLR screens go for approx 800USD and i have purchased this already. For $1600 AUD for the projector,  you can get a complete setup like the Hisense for around 3k. I think that's a great deal and that's what I'm aiming for. 

Edited by iMikey

On 28/08/2018 at 6:45 PM, iMikey said:

Hi GAARA,

Yes you are correct, apologies I didnt realise this. Today i found the U1 for sale in China for just 7999 Yuan, $1600 AUD. The specs say its 4k with 2000 ANSI lumens. If true, this is fantastic.

Here are some specs & photos i found.

• Brand: JmGo / Nut
  • Model: Nut 4K Laser TV U1
  • Technology: DLP technology
  • Zoom factor: fixed focus
  • Brightness: 2000ANSI lumens
  • Resolution (dpi): 3840x2160dpi
  • Contrast: 3001:1-4000:1
  • Screen ratio: 16:9
  • Package: Official standard
  • Light bulb type: laser light source
  • Video Effects: 2D 3D
  • Delivery screen size: 100 inches to 500 inches
  • Operating System: Android
  • Number of colors supported: 1.07 billion colors
  • Whether it can be hoisted: No
  • Display Technology: DLP
  • Best delivery distance: 4cm-46cm
  • Body size (cm): 45.4*36.6*14.1
  • Keystone correction range: ±40 degrees
  • Trapezoidal correction: vertical
  • Lamp power: 300W
  • Lamp life: 30,000 hours
  • Source: Youku Aiqiyi
  • Manufacturer: Shenzhen Huole Technology Development Co., Ltd.
  • Scaling ratio: 0.21:1
  • Applicable scene: Intelligent home theater High-end laser TV
  • Color classification: 4K ultra clear laser TV U1

So if it's using the two phase shifting technology does it mean that it's using the 0.66" DMD and not the 0.47"?  If so that that would make the JMGO fantastic value.  

BTW, I recognise those pictures from another forum ?

12 hours ago, iMikey said:

From what I have seen in all the articles ive read, the 2 chips are 2716 x 1528 and it uses two phase pixel shifting. The projector splits the image into 2 images of 4.15 million pixels each. It then alternately displays the 2 images to display 8.3 million pixels. Don't quote me on this,  just stating what the articles say. 

It seems that key spec to look for is the chip size in order to determine which  DMD device is being used.  The .47"  DMD chip  has 1920 X 1080  pixels with each pixel being flashed 4 times at high speed  to make up the  the  4k display.  The .66" size is 2716 x 1528 .  It seems that there are conflicting specs out there for the U1 as to whether it has the .47" or .66".  I guess its performance is the main  thing to be satisfied with  and  actual details are probably available in the Chinese language somewhere.

Of particular interest to me is that these  devices are often marketed as "Laser TV's". Texas Instruments also refer to ""Laser TV " applications for their chips developed for  laser  light sources.   I think that this helps illustrate  that we shouldn't be taking about UST in the traditional context of  cinema projectors  because  they occupy a new crossover niche between panel TV's and   traditional projectors.   Their intended application is to replace the smaller screen TV's not the long throw projectors  and they come with a suite of apps, wifi , sound system etc.

At some point it would be useful to have a separate  sub-forum for these  "crossover" devices. 

10 hours ago, GAARA said:

So if it's using the two phase shifting technology does it mean that it's using the 0.66" DMD and not the 0.47"?  If so that that would make the JMGO fantastic value.  

BTW, I recognise those pictures from another forum ?

Hi GAARA, the JMGO website says it is a 0.66" DMD after reviewing one of their articles regarding 4K projector technology. Here is the section explaining 2 phase vs 4 phase pixel shiting,  where it mentions the u1.

Would there be a huge improvement in picture quality between a 0.47"and 0.66"?

"Two-Phase Pixel Shifting True 4K Projectors

The two-phase pixel shifting true 4K projectors make use of the pixel shift technology like the 1080p projectors. However, instead of using a chip that has a resolution of 1920 x 1080, these projectors use a chip with 2716 x 1528 pixels. The DLP 0.66" 4K UHD DMD chip from Texas Instruments is popularly employed in projectors of different companies.

JMGO U1 True 4K Projector with Two-phase Pixel Shifting 

(Not available outside of China currently)

The chip has a micromirror array consisting of 2716 x 1528 mirrors. Each mirror represents one pixel on the screen. The projector splits the original image into two images. Each resulting image has 4.15 million pixels. The projector displays the two resulting images alternatively, each of which contains half the information of the original image. The projector alternates between the two images at an exceptionally fast rate and the eyes of the users perceive the onscreen image to have 8.3 million pixels which is quite close to the resolution of the native 4K projectors."

There is definitely a big difference between 0.47" and 0.66", no prize for guessing which of the two is better. 

I think for the price point, technology and design this is will be a winner (in the Chinese home/apartment market).

Seriously contemplating this ?

• Love 1

The JMGO US forum person has mentioned in a couple of posts that an international version of the u1 is not happening.  Not sure whether this is confirmed or just speculation. 

If anyone sees anything about this,  would be very interested and would appreciate an update here. 

Thanks for the update, shame that but I'm sure they'll hit our shores one of these days :) 

BTW, I read that the JMGO U1 is actuallly using a 0.47" DMD, as a 0.66" would be impossible at that price (which has gone up to 15k RMB).

O1CN011QUsf0xqAyl3dAa_!!2587461980.jpg

Also, I'm in Melbourne now but I've not seen too many electrical stores with projectors, still doesn't seem to be all that popular in Australia I guess.