Sign in to follow this  
initforthemusic

System Audio Ranger Master Speakers.

https://www.rio.com.au/product/system-audio-ranger-master-floor-stand-speakers/

I've had these little beauties for just over 10 weeks now. I'm semi regularly auditioning Speakers, plus my music mate said "You have too many Amps, you need another set of Speakers" (5 pair before purchase). Well I went out and purchased another 2 pair of Speakers! These Speakers really took my eye being "slimline" and the little info. I could find on these Danish beauties was positive. Have to say on audition and with only mid range Electronics these bettered or equalled Speakers costing up to 10k that I had auditioned previously. In fact I prefer these to some Mega Dollar Speakers I've heard personally. So I put down a deposit and picked them up 3 weeks later, 2nd week of May.

First up a warning, the base of the Speakers need to be filled with Kiln dried sand and having the handyman skills of Homer Simpson, what a PITA! Once set-up the Speakers took roughly 100 hours to settle in. There is a little bit of brightness initially but this does settle down. They are beautifully finished in Black Piano Gloss and also come in White Gloss for those that prefer.

The SA Ranger Masters are deserving of high quality Electronics and will easily reveal differences in Amplifiers. They require quite a substantial amount of high quality Power/Current. They easily reveal the Iron-Fisted Grip, Control and Slam of the sublime Vincent SP-998 Mono Blocks. The lovely warmth and punch of the Vincent SP-T700 Mono's. The refinement and smoothness of the upgraded Benchmark Plexus. The brutal force of the Vincent SP-994 and also showed up the limitations of the budget Emotiva XPA-2.

The SA Ranger Masters are the fastest Speaker I've ever heard! Comments from a few music mates, "Great Attack!" Another mate "Surprise Speaker of the Decade" "Incredibly resolving and transparent" "I was staggered when you took the blindfold off, they sound huge!"

And yes, very nice soundstage and as mentioned extremely transparent. The Speakers just disappear and let the music envelop you. Bass doesn't plummet the deepest depths, but is incredibly fast, punchy resolving and realistic. These are a fantastic "Big Rock" & Rock & Roll Speaker. Celibate Rifles superb Live Album "Yizgarnnoff" and you feel the sweat pouring off Lovelock, Steedman and co. The atmosphere from Ed, Mark & Co. on the brilliant "Character Assassination". You drift off into Psych Heaven with Wooden Shjips gorgeous "V". Mos Generator's "In Concert" will pin you to the wall! These Speakers are a Rock Drumming Lover's delight. Kick, Tom's, Snare convincingly reproduced. Vocals through the entire range are faithfully conveyed, Cymbals sparkle, although don't hit as hard as my Revel Ultima Studios. No listener fatigue, which can plague many Speakers is experienced. These Speakers are masterfully designed and engineered with 2 x 4" Woofers handling bass duties only, 2 x 4" Woofers handling bass/mid's & a 1" Dome Tweeter for the high's. Internally wired with Nordost Cable. They are also the quietest Speaker I've experienced with no music playing and Amps cranked up. Complete with 5 year Warranty.

Out of all the Speakers (that I don't own) that I've auditioned over recent years, there is only one other that I nearly purchased. Aurum Cantus V10F, a more refined Speaker. That the SA Ranger Master was purchased brand new for a fraction of the cost of all the others at the Discontinued Model price made it a No-Brainer.

Highly Recommended.

You don't hear much about this brand, but SA's Paladium 50's have entered my orbit as a speaker I"d be keen on trying. All the opinions I've heard about the speakers seem to echo your thoughts. It's a pity they don't seem to focussed on marketing, as there's not much out there in the HiFi press....

7 hours ago, Galactic Soap said:

You don't hear much about this brand, but SA's Paladium 50's have entered my orbit as a speaker I"d be keen on trying. All the opinions I've heard about the speakers seem to echo your thoughts. It's a pity they don't seem to focussed on marketing, as there's not much out there in the HiFi press....

Yes, seems to be little awareness of the SA's. Assuming you mean Pandion 50's. Very intrigued by these and intendending to audition one day.

Thanks for the detailed review mate. I'm getting more and more convinced with the Ranger Master as my Rock n Roll speakers.

23 hours ago, initforthemusic said:

Yes, seems to be little awareness of the SA's. Assuming you mean Pandion 50's. Very intrigued by these and intendending to audition one day.

Sorry yes, the Pandion 50's! LOL - No wonder I was struggling to track down anything meaningful by way of info given I didn't know what it was called! 

I'm on the market for my next pair of speakers and I'm looking at everything ranging from Magico A3's ($14K) all the way up to TAD CR-1's ($40K). Subjectively,  it appears that diminishing returns have started to kick-in at much lower price points then they did say 10 years ago.  

The Pandion 50's have been compared favorably to Focal Sopra 2's, Dynaudio Contour 60 and Paradigm f3. Its a bloody pitty I can't listen to them. 

You mentioned your range masters are fast, does that mean they are highly resolving and transparent as well?

11 minutes ago, Galactic Soap said:

Sorry yes, the Pandion 50's! LOL - No wonder I was struggling to track down anything meaningful by way of info given I didn't know what it was called! 

I'm on the market for my next pair of speakers and I'm looking at everything ranging from Magico A3's ($14K) all the way up to TAD CR-1's ($40K). Subjectively,  it appears that diminishing returns have started to kick-in at much lower price points then they did say 10 years ago.  

The Pandion 50's have been compared favorably to Focal Sopra 2's, Dynaudio Contour 60 and Paradigm f3. Its a bloody pitty I can't listen to them. 

You mentioned your range masters are fast, does that mean they are highly resolving and transparent as well?

Yes GS. Really highly resolving and an almost "Stat" like transparency. As stated in my review they are really revealing of different Power Amps.

I'll try to audition the Pandion 50's soon.

Good luck in your search.

Purchased another Pr. of the SA Ranger Master's today. These are for my Brother (60th later this year). Had a quick listen to a # of Speakers at Rio, in a not ideal set-up. Rows of Speakers too close too wall, selector switch, ordinary Cyrus Electronics.

@Galactic Soap  They didn't have the SA Pandion 50's set-up, but did have the Pandion 30's. Geez, these are impressive, considering the far from ideal set-up.  Different presentation to the Ranger Masters. Very refined, airy Sound. Set up properly with far superior Electronics etc. these could sound fantastic. At the 8k Sale Price, a bargain. I'll be over that side of Town again in a few weeks to audition the Pandion 50's, really looking forward to that.

Also heard: 

Pandion 20's, ok, but a no at full 10k. RRP.

Pandion 5's, actually surprisingly good for Book Shelve's.

SA Mantra 70's, didn't appeal to me.

Q Accoustics  Concept 500.  Sounded ok, but at 8k, when you can get equally good (but different) SA Ranger Master's for 3k, run out. No.

Also heard some Canton's, but not overly impressed.

And had a brief listen to SA Saxo 70's. At 1k, run out, I'd certainly put them on the list if I'm setting up a Budget System for someone. 

Never heard the Pandions,  but have known of a popular musician who bought a pair of 30's, might be saying something.

@initforthemusic Dead right about the Ranger Master, ridiculously  good at 3k and look super with the grills on.