Sound deadening

Am trialing an AV amp for 2 channel purposes

Lwxicon L X 7 

Its a beast weighs close to 32 kg 7discrete amps has slightly better mids and highs than my current set up.

BUT  like some AV amps it has a temperature controlled fan.

I’ve always been opposed to fans in hifi amps they provide a whole new element/layer of noise floor. This is less obvious a problem with dynamic music played loudly. 

Sadly for me 90% of my listening (vinyl and Cd) is classical chamber music and jazz blues.. so if I am to buy it I have to lessen this noise..

i have access to some rubberised acoustic fabric that I currently use on 4 frames 180 cm high X 40 cm wide as great bass traps.

so it seem I could :

1 build another similar horizontal frame to place immediately behind the amp which is on the floor below my rack.

2 cover the top of the amp with a "wrap" of the acoustic fabric - Seems likely to activate the temp controlled fan more often?!

3 bundle/loosely knot the acoustic fabric in an open weave bag and place over the rear third of the (out of sight) amp.

4 combinations of 1 2 and 3.

5 other

Suggestions please

no @evil c only listening to Pink Floyd is not a solution 

21 minutes ago, djb said:

Lwxicon L X 7 

Its a beast weighs close to 32 kg 7discrete amps has slightly better mids and highs than my current set up.

I’ve always been opposed to fans in hifi amps they provide a whole new element/layer of noise floor. This is less obvious a problem with dynamic music played loudly. 

Sadly for me 90% of my listening (vinyl and Cd) is classical chamber music and jazz blues.. so if I am to buy it I have to lessen this noise..

i have access to some rubberised acoustic fabric that I currently use on 4 frames 180 cm high X 40 cm wide as great bass traps.

so it seem I could :

1 build another similar horizontal frame to place immediately behind the amp which is on the floor below my rack.

2 cover the top of the amp with a "wrap" of the acoustic fabric - Seems likely to activate the temp controlled fan more often?!

3 bundle/loosely knot the acoustic fabric in an open weave bag and place over the rear third of the (out of sight) amp.

5 other

Suggestions please

no @evil c only listening to Pink Floyd is not a solution 

Recommend strategically placed pillows - either side of ears to alleviate fan noise.

Failing that - install a noisier AC to distract as it were ! 

Or embrace big band slash heavy orchestral. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

see if you can retro fit a water cooled system that is built for PC's.

there are heaps of different options, there are Water Cooling Units for; CPU, graphics card, RAM and onboard chips.

forget the myth they are crap and leak, that was many years ago, they have got it all sussed out now.

i use them in a overly specced PC for graphics and live in a lot more quiet ..

though as    @elcamry    mentioned, there are many very very quiet fans that are available, just go to get size/s required and go into a decent pc store and they will be able to help you out.

the pc i am on at moment has four fans and there is no way i can here it over the tv on low volume.

You learned that pillow trick when you had those Yamaha 1000s

only got rid of them when ....

.... the WAF REFUSED TO PUT THEM IN HER WASHING MACHINE

@buddyev @everyone who politelystuffed their ears with toiletpaper2005_15

3 minutes ago, evil c said:

Failing that - install a noisier AC to distract as it were ! 

AC is a great suggestion, as when turned on will reduced the fan in the amp from turning on hard....

Alternate solution would be to use said amp to drive a horn setup so its easier to drive than those ridiculous power hungry panels....2 advantages here.

Use a set of headphones instead

Place amp outside in the front yard and wired it back into the listening room to power hungry panels...

Have a GTG everyday and position everyone around the amp to block off fan noise from amp.

Go class D.... highly efficient and no fan in use!

• Like 1

You learned that pillow trick when you had those Yamaha 1000s
only got rid of them when ....
.... the WAF REFUSED TO PUT THEM IN HER WASHING MACHINE
[mention=111035]buddyev[/mention] @everyone who politelystuffed their ears with toiletpaper2005_15
At least some of us admit our mistakes! [emoji51]

Thought bubble : mount amp in window as per AC
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, djb said:

Lwxicon L X 7 

How interesting, David.  So is bass not as good as your Amber amps ... or the same?

BTW, yes - 7 discrete amps ... but they share the one PSU, I suspect.

Sadly for me 90% of my listening (vinyl and CD) is classical chamber music and jazz blues.. so if I am to buy it I have to lessen this noise.

Interesting again - Peter (and Ozzie) never mentioned the fan noise.

so it seem I could :

5 other

I think all of the above are not going to work, unfortunately, David.  :(

Chris's (Kroozzy's) suggestion seems very apt - but is going to:

a. be difficult to fit, and

b. will not be inexpensive.

Andy

Put the amp in the next room, or a loft and use long cables. No doubt you have a loft?

Otherwise the silent PC fan coupled with an enclosure seems best. Let me know if you need plasterboard and green glue so you can have airspace in your solution.

We await answers about the Ambers, for they are very nice amps (you've said).

Guest Point source

Ok the fan is ‘kicking in’ under load.

Remove  the top case and see whether the fan still kicks in.

if so purchase a very expensive BUT quiet Dyson fan to alleviate the issue.

I should add that in summer I use a mistral fan to move the air around my valve amp ..12 valves in the power stage. It does make a noise but not that bad, in the case of @DJB it would probably be like squeaking chalk on a blackboard..

Edited by Point source

[mention=106551]djb[/mention] Like I keep Telling [mention=154008]ghost4man[/mention]  140 watts is enough power for your maggie's , but no you both want 200 watts
and it has 2 fans in it which are 3 speed controlled constantly.
IMG_7616-1.thumb.JPG.5a5f759fb5661262403b8023ab97286c.JPG
IMG_7615-1.thumb.JPG.6f8f6045c688cc38a800abe99cbc5e10.JPG
IMG_7614-1.thumb.JPG.04bc0de81b28456b9b7de6abae54eea1.JPG
That is one kick@rse looking 7 channel amp!
Look forward to hearing it![emoji106]

are those dysons seriously quite  ??

something to consider placing behind Krells and tubes in summer ??

most of the time fans are noisy due the to ducting or vents the air needs to flow through, take the fan out of the passage of flow and it is whisper quiet.

so comes the question of passage of flow, or the entry and exit vent or slotted grove designs.

better to have a non slotted entry and exit with a custom fine filter to remove dust and the flow of air will not create a whooing sound as it flows through