georgehifi

Do I really need an amp like this? NO! But I really want an amp like this!

MODS!!! As the originator, I ask you shut this toxic thread down, it's not even on topic anymore.

Cheers George

I will state plain and simple, then everyone can get back on topic. AD/DA processing and there was also the room correction also. Both separate forms of processing were not as 100% pure going through the Deqx to me from what I heard. YMMV. The end. Back on topic, please.

1 hour ago, georgehifi said:

With the DSP in the path I was listening to 2 x ordinary converters A/D and back D/A, I could have thrown the Linn away because I was not hearing it anymore.

I don't doubt this....  It's very common for this to happen.

1 hour ago, georgehifi said:

No matter how transparent you say you Behringer DCX is, your not hearing your Halo dac anymore either, going through this.

This would have a lot to do with what DSP filters were being run (you would need zero for it to be a fair test) ... and how the gain structure of the system was arranged.    These things are very very audible.

What I am saying is that it is easy for DSP (and/or AD-DA conversions) to be audible (and sound quite bad) .... and it is also possible to have them be quite transparent.   This isn't just "my opinion" (which I expect people wouldn't want to rely solely on) .... but quite widely accepted.

2 minutes ago, Lazz said:

I will state plain and simple, then everyone can get back on topic. AD/DA processing and there was also the room correction also.

Oh, thanks :)

George told me otherwise (and belittled me) .... I'm glad I persisted.

I'm surprised you though it was subtle (whether you liked it or not is a separate thing).... but I guess it depends on how much they "needed to correct for".

2 minutes ago, Lazz said:

Both separate forms of processing were not as 100% pure going through the Deqx to me from what I heard.

Sure - Like I've said ..... I don't see this as a super-controversial statement from you.

6 hours ago, georgehifi said:

You guys don't get it.   I can see what Lazz is saying, that with no processing going on just a/d then back to d/a

He confirmed the processing was on.   :logik:

He also didn't state there was AD+DA   (Certain DEQX models have digital inputs and outputs)

6 minutes ago, Lazz said:

and there was also the room correction also.

Er, well that is quite significant!  My impression was that discussion had been centred on whether an ADC followed by an DAC (with no intermediate processing, e.g. to perform DSP crossover filtering) introduces of itself an audible alteration in the sound. 

16 minutes ago, Lazz said:

and there was also the room correction also.

Oh, and as that was likely some orders of magnitude greater than any potential effects of a simple A/D/A, that was what you were hearing.

2 hours ago, georgehifi said:

Couldn't be bothered, there was no sustained attack

I suspect he was referring to:

2 hours ago, georgehifi said:

your priority is the dsp fiddling

[moderator post] thread closed on OPs request[end moderator post]