No Original Box - How do you pack?

Hello All,

I have an amp that I may consider selling soon. But I don't have the original manufacturers box. 

I know I can offer it as pick up only, but I prefer to be able to post it to a prospective buyer. 

So how do you guys handle this? Where do you get a suitable sized box?  Do you go to a packing company?

And more importantly, how do you pack it securely?

Some advice please?

After doing this many times, i now do the following:

1. Use Pool Noodles, cut into slices (one noodle should do 1 - 2 packages)

2. Shrink wrap the pool noodles over the amp - protecting the corners, and cutting pieces to fit around knobs etc

3. Flatten a box

4. Wrap the box around the package so it fits tight

Once, for an accuphase amp that went to Perth I did the following, which is same as some companies do now

1. Wrap the item in shrink wrap or plastic bag

2. Sit it on something in the box (cut up pool noodles)

3. Fill with expanding foam / plumbers foam and let it expand to fill the box

• Like 5
Guest jakeyb77

Wrap the amp in an excess of bubble wrap. Making sure not bend any binding posts or knobs. Then find a heavy duty cardboard box the right size. If you have some foam or peanuts then pack them around the amp inside the box. Underneath and on top also. At least two inches all around. 

You can get boxes all sorts of places. Shops throw them out all the time. Behind places like Good guys also. Or go to a storage place. 

Wrap well with packing tape. 

Essentially pack it as if the courier will be rough. Pack it as you’d like to receive it. 

And always take photos of the packing process and condition. And always get insurance. 

Guest Muon N'
4 minutes ago, Snapper() said:

After doing this many times, i now do the following:

1. Use Pool Noodles, cut into slices (one noodle should do 1 - 2 packages)

2. Shrink wrap the pool noodles over the amp - protecting the corners, and cutting pieces to fit around knobs etc

3. Flatten a box

4. Wrap the box around the package so it fits tight

Once, for an accuphase amp that went to Perth I did the following, which is same as some companies do now

Pool Noodles are very good for packing, have used cuts of it before when posting an amp.

I double boxed as well with bubble wrap in between.

If you live not too far from a PacknSend, you can always tell buyers that you are happy to take the unpacked amp to PacknSend who will box it and courier it to the buyer, at buyers expense. I have bought two amplifiers from WA by asking seller if they are happy to take it to nearest PacknSend for boxing and sending to Vic. They are a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RussB said:

Insurance in particular seems more expensive with PacknSend, in my experience.

They might actually cough up!

You should check out some of the boxes they sell at pack n send though. Some of them are much better sized and appropriate for amps.
Fyi I send my Yamaha NS200ma speakers to country western Australia for $200 plus packing which isn't too bad.

On 24/07/2018 at 7:33 PM, Snapper() said:

What a great idea, using expanding foam to fill the void and for protection.

Once it hardens its pretty tough.

I've had a few items from Japan and some of them pack items the same way.
... please note that this increases box size and cost though [emoji38]

Guest jakeyb77
1 hour ago, Snapper() said:

I've had a few items from Japan and some of them pack items the same way.
... please note that this increases box size and cost though emoji38.png

Yep. Got a projector this way. Nearly couldn’t fit the carton in my station wagon... 🙄.

Arrived safe though 

• 3 weeks later...

Instapak foam is a great option. We use it to send some of the odd items we don't have specific packaging for, such as speaker stands.

See this short video to get an idea of how it works...

The only problem is they normally sell in full boxes with approx 100 bags in each making the lot cost $500-$1000 depending on size and supplier.

We are happy to help supply single pieces or small numbers to help the community since we stock and use these in our production. We currently have an Ebay listing for two pieces for $39 incl shipping. Hardly worth it for us, but I hope it can help a few of you if you are in a jam to ship expensive equipment securely.

Full disclosure: We are a commercial speaker manufacturing company and we do have financial interests in selling these Instapak expanding foam bags.

Edited by m8audio
Video added