Remove surface noise with WD40!

9 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I would never apply WD40 to a record.

I might use in on my car, but only in suitable applications.

I wasn’t promoting the use of WD40 anywhere near a record - I would worry about damage to my stylus, etc.

Just thought it was unusual, to say the least!

Guest Muon N'
Just now, Unsound said:

I wasn’t promoting the use of WD40 anywhere near a record - I would worry about damage to my stylus, etc.

I didn't view it as you promoting it, just stating my view :thumb:

Youtube is littered with questionable tutorials, the net in general also, and It's a worry.

I had to change the Transaxle oil in my car and did some searching on the net and with that help identified the drain bolt, but I kept searching and reading and discovered that bolt was in fact holding the reverse gear in place! :lol:

6 minutes ago, Unsound said:

Your stylus is made from industrial diamond....one of the most strongest materials around... WD40 will have no effect.  Not sure I would use it on a vinyl record.... Definately not the ones I own,   Happy to use it on someone else’s collection....:P

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

Guest Muon N'
Just now, Addicted to music said:

Your stylus is made from industrial diamond....one of the most strongest materials around... WD40 will have no effect.  Not sure I would use it on a vinyl record.... Definately not the ones I own,   Happynto use it someone else’s collection....:P

And the material bonding the diamond to the cantilever?

It could also travel up the cantilever maybe?

I do note that you would not use it on a record :thumb:

3 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I normally use acetone to clean said stylus.  Brasso to get the scratches out of the vinyl....

......just kidding....?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

My concerns exactly, plus the danger go “gumming up” the stylus with the residual WD40!

There was a product many years ago called Groove Glide for LPs - I wonder if it was a similar idea?

Guest Muon N'
Just now, Unsound said:

My concerns exactly, plus the danger go “gumming up” the stylus with the residual WD40!

There was a product many years ago called Groove Glide for LPs - I wonder if it was a similar idea?

I recall praise from some on the Glide, but condemned by others.

Have never used it myself.

Guest Simonon

I reckon that a few second hand vinyl sellers at our local flea market clean them with WD40. They are nice and shiny outside on a sunny day [emoji3] but then you get them home and play them.......once [emoji21]

in mt bike circles its recommended to keep wd-40 and crc away from suspension seals which can be sensitive to petro-chem solvents, they will perish then bleed suspension juice everywhere

vinyl would also be susceptible to this also yes? melting or deforming at the near-micro level (not leaking juice) 

and it would embed itself deep in the groves and collect crap

12 minutes ago, Unsound said:

WD40 was a wonder product to get you out the door: 

Yes Customer, I hear that squeak.....  here let me fix it for you!  Out comes the WD40 and the squeak magically disappears with a welcome silence that’s deafening.....  puts a huge smile on the customers face....    A few weeks later you’ll be there cleaning that “gumming up” that caused another issue!    This is how I get my bills paid....?

Now....thanks to OHS it’s now banned!  Can’t carry anything that’s pressurised or flammable!   This means no isopropyl alcohol!    

Guest Simonon

Sooo one has to sniff their potential purchase at the flea market and visually grade it. I wonder how other marketeers and the vendor will perceive your character as you carefully sniff the vinyl for traces of wd40 or armorall ?

You’ll know when they do that, WD40 reeks..

6 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

in mt bike circles its recommended to keep wd-40 and crc away from suspension seals which can be sensitive to petro-chem solvents, they will perish then bleed suspension juice everywhere

vinyl would also be susceptible to this also yes? melting or deforming at the near-micro level (not leaking juice) 

and it would embed itself deep in the groves and collect crap

I use to know a tech who had a bright idea of cleaning rubber rollers with WD40....

Its how we discovered why he had so many repeat calls for paper jamming.....  some people!  ?

4 minutes ago, Simonon said:

Sooo one has to sniff their potential purchase at the flea market and visually grade it. I wonder how other marketeers and the vendor will perceive your character as you carefully sniff the vinyl for traces of wd40 or armorall ?

And  ones with visible finger print on them will tick the boxes....

The capillary action of the solvent in Wd-40 will completely root any cartridge engaged in playing such a treated record. Anyone doing so deserves the pain of replacing said cartridge. Some people are just waiting for their big Darwin moment.

4 minutes ago, guru said:

The capillary action of the solvent in Wd-40 will completely root any cartridge engaged in playing such a treated record. Anyone doing so deserves the pain of replacing said cartridge. Some people are just waiting for their big Darwin moment.

What about Triflo?  ?

Edited by Addicted to music

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

I didn't view it as you promoting it, just stating my view :thumb:

Youtube is littered with questionable tutorials, the net in general also, and It's a worry.

I had to change the Transaxle oil in my car and did some searching on the net and with that help identified the drain bolt, but I kept searching and reading and discovered that bolt was in fact holding the reverse gear in place! :lol:

Holy Moses! I was planning to change same oil on my Impreza soon, now I'm having doubts! 

33 minutes ago, Simonon said:

I reckon that a few second hand vinyl sellers at our local flea market clean them with WD40. They are nice and shiny outside on a sunny day emoji3.png but then you get them home and play them.......once emoji21.png

Take a led torch, you can see fairly deep into the grooves. 

4 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

What about Triflo?  ?

I just lost 2 minutes of my life looking for Triflo. You owe me.