Nura / Denon PerL Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, digitalhome said:

What a load of marketing dribble from the boss! I ordered a pair that arrived 2 weeks after order date and wouldn't you know it, they are stuffed! 2 weeks later (after many promises and confirmed incorrect mixed information) I am yet to receive a replacement pair ( still haven't been dispatched from Hong Kong) or my money back! 

To top it of, there was an invoice to Nura for the headphones for a total of $90 AUD. If that is the case no wonder quality control is rubbish ( confirmed by the qty of faulty units) and G.P. is huge!

Maybe there is a shortage. 

I can’t stand their “funky in the front row” ad on Facebook. 

• 2 weeks later...

I heard these over the weekend at Hong Kong airport. I couldn’t get the left earphone to seal properly, but these are mostly marketing hype. The reason I say this is that the people in their ads have roles where they would’ve tried a lot of other good headphones.

Non personalised sound is, as others have suggested, made to sound really bad in order to to make the personalised version sound a bit better.

The “funky in the front row” comment that I find so annoying is also a gimic. All that I could tell that the distance from the stage does is adjust the bass.

I like heavy bass, but the front row isn’t funky, it’s just overdone bass.

I still like their idea of buds inside a full size can, but in this implementation I’m not sure it does anything other than make it more uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

On 01/10/2018 at 10:22 PM, Mike13 said:

I heard these over the weekend at Hong Kong airport. I couldn’t get the left earphone to seal properly, but these are mostly marketing hype. The reason I say this is that the people in their ads have roles where they would’ve tried a lot of other good headphones.

Non personalised sound is, as others have suggested, made to sound really bad in order to to make the personalised version sound a bit better.

The “funky in the front row” comment that I find so annoying is also a gimic. All that I could tell that the distance from the stage does is adjust the bass.

I like heavy bass, but the front row isn’t funky, it’s just overdone bass.

I still like their idea of buds inside a full size can, but in this implementation I’m not sure it does anything other than make it more uncomfortable. 

Did you tune the headset in with your phone? I wonder if it would increase voice tone due to my industrial deafness?

16 hours ago, Stump said:

Did you tune the headset in with your phone? I wonder if it would increase voice tone due to my industrial deafness?

Yes with my phone, but I don’t think it matters what you use. 

It doesn’t do any sort of volume adjustment that I could tell, or ask if you could hear any tones at a certain volume level. It’s all automatic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jensway said:

Alright, I'll take the bait.

Should I get my hands on a pair for an official StereoNET review?

Wouldn’t they send you one? Are you one of the reviewers?

• 1 month later...

I'd be curious to see what your views are of the headphones. I was a backer of their kickstarter campaign but ended up returning them. For me I couldn't get a sound profile that I was happy with and the sound profile which my friend had actually sounded better than mine. The issues for me revolved around the basis that they've created an algorithm for a sound profile based on what they believe you should hear from the otoacoustic emissions. This is all well and good but really doesn't cater for the fact that we also like to tweak things to our personal preferences. Instead the company line is we know what you need to hear and will control that, there's absolutely no way to tweak your profile, only vary the level of bass immersion.

The other aspect is as wonderful as the concept of having that inner earphone and cups, I found that the inner earphone isn't really set out to work against the variance of ears and canal distances. I could never get comfortable enough to forget there was something pressing in and down on my ear canals.

You can use an analogue cable but for me that sounded terrible and couldn't be controlled by the app which basically nullified any profiling. I was quite happy to support a local company in their product but sadly not for me, nor their sound algorithm.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last few years, I’ve been sniffing around headfi on and off, trying this and that, but never settled on a pair that I liked enough to want to listen to at length.

In that time, I’ve owned Beyerdynamic 770 pro’s, 1770 pro’s (god awful) Audeze LCD2’s and LCDX’S, while these came close, I got bored of them relatively quickly. 

While I work in a noisy environment where I have to where earmuffs all day, so while I the apple store one morning, I decided to spend 1/2 an hour listening to the well regarded Bose QC 35ii’s and fell in love on the spot. While they aren’t the most accurate headphone out there, they have a tone to them that makes you just enjoy listening to music all day on, and I have them on my head at near full volume for 6 hours a day, and with no hearing fatigue at all. So work became a rather happy time, and the noise cancellation was good. 

So while I was in Melbourne last month (cheers @Kaynin @Sir Sanders Zingmore For the great afternoon/evening) I was walking around Melbourne Central Shopping center, I came across a booth that was demonstrating and selling Nuraphones, and I jumped in there quickly being as I’d heard about these and the fanfare around them. 

In the booth, headphones on, and the fact that they have a dual driver system, in ear and outer ear, it took a bit to get them comfortable, but luckily the app that comes with the headphones helps with fitment. Using sensitive microphones built in, these headphones measure your inner ear for eq’ing purposes, which takes all up about 2mins to do and your ready to go. Straight away on the first 10 seconds of the track I chose, I was hooked. These headphones tap into exactly how I like to hear music, exactly. So I stayed there much to my partners annoyance for 45mins, these glued to my head, going through all of my reference tracks on tidal. Then I asked the price, $499, stoked I bought a pair there and then. 

For heavy metal in particular, these headphones do to that music everything it needs to be, full and impactful, being as they have great mids and top end, they also have this feature called immersion mode with makes the outer ear bass driver shake your head as if you were in the front row of a gig. Even though this can be full on, it give you the control to adjust the bass on the fly to exactly how it suits the music without affecting the mids and highs. And it’s a very well balanced sound to boot. 

The noise cancelation is outstanding, being as I work with dogs, no exaggeration here, if I’ve got them on and they are cranked, I can’t hear a dog bark that's 1 foot from my head. The combination of active noise canceling, in ear drivers and outer ear cups blocks the outside world perfectly. 

They have a touch sensitive button on each side that you can program for various functions, these are slightly annoying, but they work. 

It’s takes a good while to get used to the inner ear part, I’ve had to stop wearing them at times because they got to uncomfortable, but it’s getting better the longer I used them. 

They come with an excellent case, charging cable and some different sized ear tips. 

Overall, the best headphones I’ve had, simply because they have been the most enjoyable to listen to, and one of the only times I’ve fully enjoyed a Meshuggah album. 

Battery lasts for 20 hours and the ear cups are made of silicone and are easy to keep clean. 

image.thumb.jpg.6ab2273d8d64f2d40c460a81d0a57bcd.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Sime V2

And the Bluetooth is flawless, you’d think you were listening to wired headphones, hopefully I’ll get a Node2i that has AptX HD which these headphones utilize. 

Edited by Sime V2

Guest Eggcup The Daft

Hm. I heard them at their popup "studio" in Sydney, and was not slightly impressed. My EL-8s (open back versions) don't have noise cancelling of course but are way, way more detailed than these things.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, Sime V2 said:

And keep in mind, Bluetooth/noise canceling headphones are a different market compared to Audiophile type headphones. 

The Nuraphones are being sold as audiophile - indeed, revelatory - and supposed to be better because of the adaptability.

They aren't even good value at their price in their own terms, as far as I'm concerned - they're up against the Bose QC35 at that price and again aren't nearly as good. Probably not up to the standard of the Sonys in that price range either, though I haven't heard them.

The problem is that the software seems to work, but the base headphone isn't good enough - silk purse, sow's ear, usual failure.

I'm not sure what makes them "enjoyable" to you. Still, our ears/brains vary more widely to headphones than to speakers, apparently. I hope you keep enjoying them!

1 minute ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

They aren't even good value at their price in their own terms, as far as I'm concerned - they're up against the Bose QC35 at that price and again aren't nearly as good. Probably not up to the standard of the Sonys in that price range either, though I haven't heard them.

I currently own the Bose, and have owned the Sony 1000mk3’s (forgot to mention them in the review) and sold the Sony’s the next day on gumtree (everyone I played them to hated them) The Nuraphones are far better than the Bose, in all aspects. 

But don’t forget what I’m basing the review on, and it’s how these headphones present heavy metal, better than any other headphone I’ve used. It’s not about detail, it’s about tonal presentation, though imo they are detailed, way more than the Bose. 

Ive had at least 500 hours listening to the Bose also. 

Not trying to discredit anything - have never heard the Nuraphones - would be keen to give them a go.

I'd love to find out how "universal" they are for fit etc

I have a huge time finding IEM's/buds that fit/suit me - would that be an issue here?

Anywhere in the Melbourne area to try them out?

(I honestly thought they'd gone broke and folded)

Guest Eggcup The Daft
28 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

I currently own the Bose, and have owned the Sony 1000mk3’s (forgot to mention them in the review) and sold the Sony’s the next day on gumtree (everyone I played them to hated them) The Nuraphones are far better than the Bose, in all aspects. 

But don’t forget what I’m basing the review on, and it’s how these headphones present heavy metal, better than any other headphone I’ve used. It’s not about detail, it’s about tonal presentation, though imo they are detailed, way more than the Bose. 

Ive had at least 500 hours listening to the Bose also. 

Good grief! Were we even listening to the same headphones? OK, I didn't listen to heavy metal, but I wouldn't have thought the Nuraphones to be that dynamic, and that bass lines would be hard to follow, at least. Maybe my ears stumped them.

I still listen mostly wired, but the Bose I know over Bluetooth, though not 500 hours. I'd say they are more neutral and pretty good all rounders musically. I certainly wouldn't put the Nuraphones in that camp.

Cheers bud, didn't properly read and see it was while you were in Melbourne :S

Will try and get there for a listen over the next couple of weeks.

They've interested me since the KS as a novelty sort of thing - would love to try them out.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
On 09/12/2018 at 10:55 PM, raband said:

Not trying to discredit anything - have never heard the Nuraphones - would be keen to give them a go.

I'd love to find out how "universal" they are for fit etc

I have a huge time finding IEM's/buds that fit/suit me - would that be an issue here?

Anywhere in the Melbourne area to try them out?

(I honestly thought they'd gone broke and folded)

They don't go as far into the ear as a bud, you should be OK with them on that score.

I see that the reviews are as mixed as my and Sime's results, so this is one to check out for yourself...

16 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

I see that the reviews are as mixed as my and Sime's results, so this is one to check out for yourself...

As is with every other piece of audio equipment on the planet ?

And to anyone who test these based on this review, remember the thread title specifically ?