Nura / Denon PerL Headphones Owners & Discussion Thread

59 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

He says: 

“I imagine that for some people, whose ears are not suited to the middle-road mixes of most headphones, the experience could be astonishing. For me personally the difference isn't huge but, now that I've gone back to the Sonys to check, it is there.”

I wonder what they sound like compared to a $1000 headphone. The ad makes them seem like they are so good they shock DJs, recorders, classical musicians. 

I know someone who's a backer. As algorithm wise it has a great auto eq have to admit I was quite impressed the difference before and after eq was massive, even  listening on eq setup for someone else it doesn't sound right. I bet they've added some algorithm on how to make sound more pleasing depending on the test result of the calibration. Driver quality wise id say it is on par with say Bose qc35. 

But Its not even on the same level as a well driven hd650 let alone a $1000 headphones like hd800

Edited by mloutfie

I purchased a pair and they do what they do quite well. Being of a more advanced age my ability to hear bass is compromised. So of course it detects that and thus my profile delivers more bass. So I know I’m hearing what I should be hearing. Problem is I’ve never liked a lot of bass, even in my youth when I could hear it properly. So I have mixed feelings about using them. And yes, it’s an Australian company using technology developed at Melbourne Uni.

3 hours ago, mloutfie said:

But Its not even on the same level as a well driven hd650 let alone a $1000 headphones like hd800

That’s what I wanted to know I think.

12 minutes ago, lloyd_borrett said:

And yes, it’s an Australian company using technology developed at Melbourne Uni

That’s great that the tech is genuine. Could have even more potential when combined with other headphone tech and better drivers. 

Guest Runaway
On 21/07/2018 at 7:00 AM, Mike13 said:

Has anyone actually tried these?

My Facebook feed has been flooded with ads showing people’s (are they actors?) ridiculous reactions to them.

I and others did a review sometime back.  Btw I have just recently sold mine.  They are. Interesting.

Edited by Runaway

• Volunteer
14 hours ago, lloyd_borrett said:

I purchased a pair and they do what they do quite well. Being of a more advanced age my ability to hear bass is compromised. So of course it detects that and thus my profile delivers more bass. So I know I’m hearing what I should be hearing. Problem is I’ve never liked a lot of bass, even in my youth when I could hear it properly. So I have mixed feelings about using them. And yes, it’s an Australian company using technology developed at Melbourne Uni.

this is the bit I don't understand about what they are trying to do - and it's their fundamental premise...

Surely if you are used to having less bass, then it becomes normal to you. Headphones that correct for that will not sound right

Likewise I'm losing the top end of my hearing as I get older (as we all do), so headphones which boost treble to compensate will probably sound harsh to me

1 minute ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Likewise I'm losing the top end of my hearing as I get older (as we all do), so headphones which boost treble to compensate will probably sound harsh to me

Wouldn’t they sound like to used to hear it back when you could hear the high notes better? If it wasn’t harsh then would it sound harsh now if you again got used to it.

@Runaway nice review. I was kind of suspicious of their advertising because it almost seemed like a bit of a ruse from all of those people’s reactions.

Sure for the general public you migh expect amazement, but not for people that should know headphones, like the people in the ads!

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Wouldn’t they sound like to used to hear it back when you could hear the high notes better? If it wasn’t harsh then would it sound harsh now if you again got used to it.

I think 'getting used to it' is the point.

How long would it take… given that hearing loss is generally very gradual over years, you tend not to notice it. I imagine that having it instantly restored would not sound good.

But it's pure conjecture from me, I haven't listened to these so I may completely change my tune once I do 

The cynic in me says that for all their gimmickry, they're likely just heavy on the bass and treble for that impressive consumer sound. Even the reviews often say it's more bass than they expected (and sometimes even more than they'd like.)

I have a pair of the Nuras. Generally impressed, MUCH more since the recent update. With BT headphones, I already have Sony 1ABT, and Vmoda Crossfade Wirelss 2. The Nuras I find are great for watching movies etc. Not so much for portable. The silicon cups are not super comfy, and despite venting, do get sweaty easily. Sound is very impressive in an impactful way, but also in a very over processed way. Some tracks sound great (often EDM etc), but others definitely not so (often metal etc). Would still go portable with my 1ABT's over these, but I'll grab the Nura's every time when using for BT movie / concert watching. And of course, no contest with wired...not even close to my NightOwls or even my Meze's.

• Like 2

On 22/07/2018 at 1:13 AM, mloutfie said:

. Driver quality wise id say it is on par with say Bose qc35. 

+1. I backed them on Kickstarter and surprisingly good sound (fun), but my hd800 is in a very different league (clarity, resolution). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What a load of marketing dribble from the boss! I ordered a pair that arrived 2 weeks after order date and wouldn't you know it, they are stuffed! 2 weeks later (after many promises and confirmed incorrect mixed information) I am yet to receive a replacement pair ( still haven't been dispatched from Hong Kong) or my money back! 

To top it of, there was an invoice to Nura for the headphones for a total of $90 AUD. If that is the case no wonder quality control is rubbish ( confirmed by the qty of faulty units) and G.P. is huge!

9 minutes ago, digitalhome said:

What a load of marketing dribble from the boss! I ordered a pair that arrived 2 weeks after order date and wouldn't you know it, they are stuffed! 2 weeks later (after many promises and confirmed incorrect mixed information) I am yet to receive a replacement pair ( still haven't been dispatched from Hong Kong) or my money back! 

To top it of, there was an invoice to Nura for the headphones for a total of $90 AUD. If that is the case no wonder quality control is rubbish ( confirmed by the qty of faulty units) and G.P. is huge!

That is not good to hear/read.